Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flying United? You may want to give up your seat...
So, apparently this flight was overbooked and when the guy in the video was asked to leave (reminder he paid for this seat) they asked security to forcibly remove him. United has quite the PR shitshow on its hands after this one.

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 09:52 AM)Au165 Wrote: So, apparently this flight was overbooked and when the guy in the video was asked to leave (reminder he paid for this seat) they asked security to forcibly remove him. United has quite the PR shitshow on its hands after this one.

So he paid for the seat and they ejected him?

He should be getting a very nice reimbursement id want about 10x my ticket price back...  
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 09:52 AM)Au165 Wrote: So, apparently this flight was overbooked and when the guy in the video was asked to leave (reminder he paid for this seat) they asked security to forcibly remove him. United has quite the PR shitshow on its hands after this one.

I saw this article this AM and another where a woman claims she made $11,000 over a weekend by volunteering to get "bumped" when the price was right. It cost three trips to the airport, some time hanging out there, and forfeiting a vacation for her and her husband and daughter, but $11,000 bucks is more than many people earn in a quarter, and Delta gave her family that in 3 days!

So there is a good way to miss a flight, and a not so good way. Like the title says, you may (really!) want to give up your seat sometimes.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
They would have saved money to buy four tickets on a charter flight, as opposed to all the people that will no longer fly United. And from the likely lawsuit (s). If the guy was, as he claims, a doctor who had to round the next day, United could be open to several lawsuits.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It will be interesting to see what comes of this, because airlines have the right to remove any passenger for basically any reason (and laws/policies spell out reimbursement in pretty great detail).

But obviously getting knocked unconscious is an unnecessary use of excessive force, and those security people are probably not agents of United.

Although I wonder if United broke laws/policy bumping a paying customer for an employee flying standby.

This guy was also a dumbass. Refusing to exit a plane is simply a losing strategy.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 03:02 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote:  

This guy was also a dumbass.  Refusing to exit a plane is simply a losing strategy.

He could be set for life if he plays it right.

You've got the initial lawsuit, the money TODAY will pay for the story, the movie, the book deal. Guy won't fly standard class again.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 03:30 PM)Benton Wrote: He could be set for life if he plays it right.

Well, he probably got lucky that some rent-a-cop went on a power trip.  If I was on a jury, I honestly don't know what I'd give this guy.  Maybe a few million in punitive damages against the security company.  He's actually got more potential if this was CPD.

I don't know what legal penalties he could be facing, but that may mitigate things if they threaten to throw the book at him if he doesn't settle for a reasonable amount.

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 05:05 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Well, he probably got lucky that some rent-a-cop went on a power trip.  If I was on a jury, I honestly don't know what I'd give this guy.  Maybe a few million in punitive damages against the security company.  He's actually got more potential if this was CPD.

I don't know what legal penalties he could be facing, but that may mitigate things if they threaten to throw the book at him if he doesn't settle for a reasonable amount.

They can threaten, but in the same vein, if a jury sees him getting his head bashed in they probably aren't convicting him of the disorderly conduct or whatever they try to get him on.
Reply/Quote
I am just curious why he was asked/forced leave to due an overbooking mistake? Or anyone for that matter. I dont fly often, so have no clue. I am assuming first come (sit down), first serve doesnt apply, so is it whoever bought the ticket first? Or other reasons?
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 05:59 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I am just curious why he was asked/forced leave to due an overbooking mistake?  Or anyone for that matter. I dont fly often, so have no clue. I am assuming first come (sit down), first serve doesnt apply, so is it whoever bought the ticket first? Or other reasons?

He was chosen at random to get off after they couldn't convince people to volunteer by paying them off. It is common, but not normally combative.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 03:02 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: This guy was also a dumbass.  Refusing to exit a plane is simply a losing strategy.

I don't know if there is more to the story... like he was being disruptive  but it sounds like he had a ticket he paid for and was already seated.  How does he have to leave so someone else can take his spot?

If he still had a standby ticket they shouldn't have let him on the plane yet.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 06:00 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I don't know if there is more to the story... like he was being disruptive  but it sounds like he had a ticket he paid for and was already seated.  How does he have to leave so someone else can take his spot?

They had crew people who were supposed to be in the next city for a flight the following day, they were the ones on stand by. It is interesting airlines can over sell time sensitive events and hope people don't show up but if I was putting on a concert it would be illegal.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 03:02 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: It will be interesting to see what comes of this, because airlines have the right to remove any passenger for basically any reason (and laws/policies spell out reimbursement in pretty great detail).

But obviously getting knocked unconscious is an unnecessary use of excessive force, and those security people are probably not agents of United.

Although I wonder if United broke laws/policy bumping a paying customer for an employee flying standby.

This guy was also a dumbass.  Refusing to exit a plane is simply a losing strategy.

C'mon Hyperloop!  That'll put those namby pamby airlines back in their place, getting people anywhere, in record time, at a low cost.  Or is that just a pipe dream? Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 05:59 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I am just curious why he was asked/forced leave to due an overbooking mistake?  Or anyone for that matter. I dont fly often, so have no clue. I am assuming first come (sit down), first serve doesnt apply, so is it whoever bought the ticket first? Or other reasons?

(04-10-2017, 06:00 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I don't know if there is more to the story... like he was being disruptive  but it sounds like he had a ticket he paid for and was already seated.  How does he have to leave so someone else can take his spot?

(04-10-2017, 06:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: They had crew people who were supposed to be in the next city for a flight the following day, they were the ones on stand by. It is interesting airlines can over sell time sensitive events and hope people don't show up but if I was putting on a concert it would be illegal.

It gets crazy sometimes with them offering several hundred dollars to anyone who will give up their flight. In this case it was because they had workers they needed to transport (which seems like an in-house scheduling screw up). In other cases, I don't know. It can't be legal to sell 401 tickets for 400 seats and hope somebody doesn't show up. And it seems like bad business as the last several flights I've been on they've been offering money for anyone who would take a later flight.

Unless I'm going on a cruise (because then the airline is supposed to be responsible for getting you on your ship if they make you late), I just drive. It's not worth sitting for 2-3 hours in the airport, going through 2-3 hours of airport security and a 2-3 hour flight time, when I can enjoy the comfort of my car, get there in less time (usually) and buy whatever snacks I want.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 06:26 PM)Benton Wrote: It's not worth sitting for 2-3 hours in the airport, going through 2-3 hours of airport security and a 2-3 hour flight time

You're doing it wrong....really, really wrong.

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 05:07 PM)Au165 Wrote: They can threaten, but in the same vein, if a jury sees him getting his head bashed in they probably aren't convicting him of the disorderly conduct or whatever they try to get him on.

It wouldn't be the same case.  The restitution is a civil suit, and refusing to leave and whatever other trumped up charges they could bring would be a criminal felony case.  It's not like he robbed a store, but barring jury nullifcation he's likely guilty of violating several laws (I can't really find what those laws would be searching).  They don't tolerate any kind of bullshit on flights.

The problem I see is that, while he likely deserves damages, if he seeks an excessive number then a big settlement might send the wrong message (except I'm sure a settlement would be sealed under gag order).

How did he get injured, anyway?  Looked to me like he may have hit his head when he was being wrestled out of the chair, which would make his injury a result of his own unlawful resistance.

Reply/Quote
Friendly Skies huh !!!
Reply/Quote
I'm sure dude will never have to pay for a flight again; however, I doubt he has any grounds for a law suit. There's a lot of itty bitty writing on your ticket for a reason. He could easily be arrested for failure to comply.

As to folks leaving United; I doubt it will happen.

If I'm flying to LA tomorrow and United can give me a better deal than Delta. The last thing that will cross my mind is: They forced that one dude off the plane.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 06:55 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: It wouldn't be the same case.  The restitution is a civil suit, and refusing to leave and whatever other trumped up charges they could bring would be a criminal felony case.  It's not like he robbed a store, but barring jury nullifcation he's likely guilty of violating several laws (I can't really find what those laws would be searching).  They don't tolerate any kind of bullshit on flights.

The problem I see is that, while he likely deserves damages, if he seeks an excessive number then a big settlement might send the wrong message (except I'm sure a settlement would be sealed under gag order).

How did he get injured, anyway?  Looked to me like he may have hit his head when he was being wrestled out of the chair, which would make his injury a result of his own unlawful resistance.

The video is going into evidence for criminal or civil and the jury will see it in both cases. Excessive use of force during an arrest that results in severe injury tends to get most charges dropped and a big payout for the victim , or criminal I guess based on your stand point. You say it's a result of his own unlawful resistance, his lawyer will argue he has mental issues (let's say anxiety disorder) and that based on his mental state at the time the force was excessive and they should have been better trained to deal with his mental disability. No matter what charge they would try bringing finding a jury, no matter the instructions, that will convict after that video gets submitted into evidence will be near impossible. There won't be a shortage of lawyers, really good lawyers at that,  that won't want to get the network news face time that comes with defending him either.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 12:50 AM)Au165 Wrote: Excessive use of force during an arrest that results in severe injury tends to get most charges dropped and a big payout for the victim , or criminal I guess based on your stand point. You say it's a result of his own unlawful resistance, his lawyer will argue he has mental issues (let's say anxiety disorder) and that based on his mental state at the time the force was excessive and they should have been better trained to deal with his mental disability.

Yeah, but the defense will argue just the opposite (and a disorder claim won't fly without treatment records).  I think the city/airport authority will be reluctant to write a blank check when they can leverage criminal charges. Yeah, charges will be dropped as part of the settlement but that doesn't mean they don't factor into something much less than a blank check.

And a jury trial is hardly a slamdunk - looks like he's clinging to that chair like spiderman, and the city will argue his injuries resulted from his resistance of lawful action.

Let me ask you a different question...if he's awarded millions for his own unlawful conduct, then how much should the other 3 be entitled to for leaving the plane without incident?  That's the big problem here - you can't start writing blank checks to people for forcibly resisting leaving a plane.

Reply/Quote