Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Football as we know it is Over
Well there goes football.

This already sounds like a cluster to officiate.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/27/nfl-passes-rule-against-lowering-head-to-initiate-contact-with-helmet/

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter
The hit that Steelers’ LB Ryan Shazier delivered to Bengals’ WR Josh Malone last season would be illegal in NFL this season.

We definitely need to find Burficts replacement. There's no reason for him to even play again.

My only question. Were they trying to protect players, or were they just mad a beloved Steeler got hurt trying to injure a Bengal?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I'm not saying I don't understand the point. But going in leading with the shoulder is going to cause a lot of missed (arm) tackles.

And they clearly don't care if the receiver lowers his head (which they always do).

Reply/Quote
It's been over
Reply/Quote
Your not supposed to lead with your head when you hit this is a good rule. Not sure why this means the end of football when it's a great start.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 06:24 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Your not supposed to lead with your head  when you hit this is a good rule. Not sure why this means the end of football when it's a great start.

Yeah, if anything this will mean less concussions which might mean football lasts longer. Just have to learn how to tackle
with more technique and Defenses will need to practice this more. Tackling with the top of your helmet is what players like
Mike Mitchell and Shazier do all the damn time and it spears people and is dirty.

Burfict needed to get this out of his game early on and finally seemed like he did.

I don't see this kicking him out of the league any sooner, he is a technically sound tackler now.

The refs have it out for him regardless.
Reply/Quote
There go Burfict and Mitchell's careers. And Shazier's too, if he ever sees the field again.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 06:02 PM)jj22 Wrote: Well there goes football.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/27/nfl-passes-rule-against-lowering-head-to-initiate-contact-with-helmet/

The hit that Steelers’ LB Ryan Shazier delivered to Bengals’ WR Josh Malone last season would be illegal in NFL this season.

We definitely need to find Burficts replacement. There's no reason for him to even play again.

My only question. Were they trying to protect players, or were they just mad a beloved Steeler got hurt trying to injure a Bengal?

That's bad tackling technique to lead with your head and not how you tackle.. at least properly.
Reply/Quote
Burfict's hit on Brown, is the only time I can remember him leading with his head? The way they are teaching to tackle now, actually is alot more wrapping up with your arms, instead of trying to knock the guy out. I would think that would lead to a lot less missed tackles.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 06:46 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: That's bad tackling technique to lead with your head and not how you tackle.. at least properly.

Yes sir it is.

(03-27-2018, 06:46 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Burfict's hit on Brown, is the only time I can remember him leading with his head? The way they are teaching to tackle now, actually is alot more wrapping up with your arms, instead of trying to knock the guy out. I would think that would lead to a lot less missed tackles.

He led with his shoulder actually lol

Spot on with the rest of your post though. Exactly, wrap up instead of head hunting and trying to knock out players.

Shawn and George missed their fair share of tackles last season for this very reason. Now they have to clean it up.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 06:02 PM)jj22 Wrote: Well there goes football.

Anyone find if odd they come out with these new "head hunting" rules when there is the Steelers involved? I could have sworn there was a rule already in place when Shazier hit Gio with crown of his helmet. Something about ball carriers outside the tackle box or something like that. 
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 06:57 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Anyone find if odd they come out with these new "head hunting" rules when there is the Steelers involved? I could have sworn there was a rule already in place when Shazier hit Gio with crown of his helmet. Something about ball carriers outside the tackle box or something like that. 

Yeah, the Stealers will still get away with these things, this goes without saying. Mellow
Reply/Quote
Since Bengals have not won a play-off game in the last 27 seasons, my hope is the new coaches and players do indeed make football as we know it over. The Bengals winning a play-off game would indeed be the end of football as we have known it.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Don't worry.

Burfict and Gio will be ejected, and the Steelers will then proceed to concuss Green and Eifert, and get away with it because of it being some "tough luck" hit and how they "didn't line up the hit" or some other BS that was never originally in the rule anyway.

And the beat goes on...

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I like the rule change.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 06:46 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Burfict's hit on Brown, is the only time I can remember him leading with his head? The way they are teaching to tackle now, actually is alot more wrapping up with your arms, instead of trying to knock the guy out. I would think that would lead to a lot less missed tackles.

AKA Dre K. technique
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It's not the crown of your helmet. It's your helmet at all. That's the big difference. Before it was face up, see what you hit. That's illegal now too. It's a significant change that forces arm and shoulder tackles (which means more misses and whiffs). You can't lead with your helmet. Means you cant bend down. Think about how hard that will be.

It's a major change, as stated in the article. It's not just taking out a couple bad plays.

I don't like it. I think it'll be too hard to officiate fairly. Especially if offensive players get low.

Reply/Quote

Except he hit him with his shoulder....

In the head granted.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 08:21 PM)jj22 Wrote: It's not the crown of your helmet. It's your helmet at all. That's the big difference. Before it was face up, see what you hit. That's illegal now too. It's a significant change that forces arm and shoulder tackles (which means more misses and whiffs). You can't lead with your helmet. Means you cant bend down. Think about how hard that will be.

It's a major change, as stated in the article. It's not just taking out a couple bad plays.

I don't like it. I think it'll be too hard to officiate fairly. Especially if offensive players get low.

I understand this, if they are going to call a penalty anytime a Defender grazes a guy's helmet the game will not be fun to watch.

The fans have been screaming for the refs to let the players play already. This will not help the game if this is the case.
Reply/Quote
I may be in the minority, but I don't watch football to see guys get maimed. I watch for strategy. Big plays (offense and defense).

Plus, isn't this good for Burfict? Leading with the head was getting him concussed.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 08:21 PM)jj22 Wrote: It's not the crown of your helmet. It's your helmet at all. That's the big difference. Before it was face up, see what you hit. That's illegal now too. It's a significant change that forces arm and shoulder tackles (which means more misses and whiffs). You can't lead with your helmet. Means you cant bend down. Think about how hard that will be.

So you are upset they made significant changes to the game in hopes to promote better tackling?? Or do you actually think tackling with your helmet is good?? 

Either way I am not following you here. Football as we knew it is gone... and should be with all the info we have on head injuries/concussions now. Player safety should come before the desires of the fanbase imo and it's far overdue they addressed it.

Ask bernard if he likes this new change.
Reply/Quote