Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
FootballGuys: John Ross Could EXPLODE!
(07-25-2019, 02:04 PM)McC Wrote: Well, he's still here and that says the wait is not over.  Maybe we can complain him away.

Based on the past, it takes a good many years and a butt ton of complaints to get that accomplished. But in the meantime we can find comfort on board the ever chugging excuse train.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 12:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's tempting to write Ross off...but WR is a position where once it clicks it clicks. The question is will it ever click for him.

Year 3 is still early, but it's getting to the point where this is probably a make or break year for him.

100% agree with this post. He could flame out. But it's still early and there's an argument to be made that he will break out. If we're still having this conversation in 1 or 2 years, he's probably already flamed out. At this point he's still young. He's got a lot of potential. Why give up on him at this point? If he doesn't break out this year, okay.. Give him one more year. If two years go by and he doesn't break out, it's time to cut our losses. I'm hopeful he breaks out this year though. I think Taylor will find ways to get everyone the ball. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 02:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And the "all-knowing" like yourself would have cut Adam Thielen when he only had 20 receptions over his first two seasons.

And all he did over the last two years was catch 200+ passes for over 2600 yards.

I did not know that I would have done that. Thanks for the enlightenment.

I can’t really say what I would have done with Thielen because I paid no attention to him prior to his breaking out. I do know that I wouldn’t judge him one way or the other based strictly on his numbers.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 02:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And the "all-knowing" like yourself would have cut Adam Thielen when he only had 20 receptions over his first two seasons.

And all he did over the last two years was catch 200+ passes for over 2600 yards.

Exactly

You can look at several upper tier in their career WR's who didn't light up the record book in their first season or two. WR and CB are two of the slowest developing positions in the NFL. But don't let that get in the way of a good dogging out of a player.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 02:31 PM)HuDey Wrote: I did not know that I would have done that. Thanks for the enlightenment.

I can’t really say what I would have done with Thielen because I paid no attention to him prior to his breaking out. I do know that I wouldn’t judge him one way or the other based strictly on his numbers.

So, what are you using to judge John Ross, besides his numbers?  Are you close personal friends with him, do the two of you spend a good deal of time together?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 02:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, what are you using to judge John Ross, besides his numbers?  Are you close personal friends with him, do the two of you spend a good deal of time together?

I don’t know, maybe watching him play?....or the fact that running in a straight line is an injury risk for the guy?.....But you are right, that’s silly. I should just look at his numbers or go skipping stones on the lake with him.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 09:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This just is not true.  Marvin played rookies and young players as much as the average NFL coach.  We had tons of rookies start under Marvin.
And nothing indicates that Marvin did not like Ross.  All of the evidence points to Ross not being good enough to get on the field his rookies season.

Actually, it's very, VERY, very true and something that was often brought up on the boards.

I think it was John Thornton (might be mistaken) that had to go to Marvin and tell him to play the younger Pat Sims because he was better but Marvin was loyal to the vet.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 02:13 PM)HuDey Wrote: Based on the past, it takes a good many years and a butt ton of complaints to get that accomplished. But in the meantime we can find comfort on board the ever chugging excuse train.
I don't really see that many excuses.  Most people agree he needs to step it up, including him.  The problem is that he can't step it up yesterday and people just like to hear themselves complain, as evidenced by the above post.

Excuse, complaint...hmm...yep, complaint more annoying every time.  And more pointless too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

I'm definitely not say they should cut Ross, but Theilin was an UDFA or a very late round pick wasn't he? He also got those 20 receptions on 31 targets.

I'm a Bengals fan... I want Ross to succeed, and I'd be happy if he puts up half the production of Adam Theilin.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 03:02 PM)McC Wrote: I don't really see that many excuses.  Most people agree he needs to step it up, including him.  The problem is that he can't step it up yesterday and people just like to hear themselves complain, as evidenced by the above post.

Excuse, complaint...hmm...yep, complaint more annoying every time.  And more pointless too.

That’s fine. I hope he proves me wrong but I’m not going to blow sunshine up anyone’s rear end when I just don’t think he has it. If he proves me wrong, then we all get what we want.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 03:20 PM)HuDey Wrote: That’s fine. I hope he proves me wrong but I’m not going to blow sunshine up anyone’s rear end when I just don’t think he has it. If he proves me wrong, then we all get what we want.

Is anyone asking you to?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
We're going to be 6-10/7-9 again anyway.
Reply/Quote
Lots of people point the finger at Marvin, but I don't know, maybe it has something to do with the fact he had to play in offenses coached by Ken Zampese (lol) and Bill Lazor (still not good).

Outside of Joe Mixon (who plays a position that is fairly easy to pick up, for the most part) the offensive staffs of the last two years haven't been able to get anything out of any of the guys they drafted. Malone and Tate? Virtually nothing. The two RBs, Wilson and Watson? Virtually nothing. Schreck? Nothing. Price? Disappointing rookie year. Ross gets all the attention because he was drafted the highest, but there's a definite pattern there IMO.

Maybe, just maybe, the offensive coaches on staff weren't very good coaches? I'm willing to give him one more chance under some actual (supposed) offensive gurus.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 11:49 AM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Ross needs to be better. More consistent with his route running. More reliable. A lot of good wide receivers took a few years to get going though. Look at Chad Johnson. or TJ Houshmanzadeh. Ross has shown glimpses of greatness. That TD in the preseason last year being a big glimpse. His 7 TDs last year were obviously great. There are reasons to feel encouraged. Taylor's offense is the perfect fit for him too. There's a lot of reason for optimism. If he has a breakout year you'd think this would be the year. Just hoping the line gives Dalton enough time. We've got plenty of weapons.

If Ross was to say spend a whole off season working with someone like TJ then.....oh wait he did that and still sucked .

We all know this is going to go one of two ways - 1. He completes the Bust label and is done or 2. He starts to actually look good but has a bad injury. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote

Well said Fred. Hmmm Mellow Shocked
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 05:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well said Fred. Hmmm Mellow Shocked

That was a true Bengal analysis - always hope and cross your fingers and toes that the guy will still turn out OK even though he has been a bust so far.

Problem is we always have loads of these types on the team not just one or two
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 04:18 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: We're going to be 6-10/7-9 again anyway.

What an enlightening post with great analysis.  Mellow 

(07-25-2019, 04:53 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Lots of people point the finger at Marvin, but I don't know, maybe it has something to do with the fact he had to play in offenses coached by Ken Zampese (lol) and Bill Lazor (still not good).

Outside of Joe Mixon (who plays a position that is fairly easy to pick up, for the most part) the offensive staffs of the last two years haven't been able to get anything out of any of the guys they drafted. Malone and Tate? Virtually nothing. The two RBs, Wilson and Watson? Virtually nothing. Schreck? Nothing. Price? Disappointing rookie year. Ross gets all the attention because he was drafted the highest, but there's a definite pattern there IMO.

Maybe, just maybe, the offensive coaches on staff weren't very good coaches? I'm willing to give him one more chance under some actual (supposed) offensive gurus.

This is where I lean...
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 05:29 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: That was a true Bengal analysis - always hope and cross your fingers and toes that the guy will still turn out OK even though he has been a bust so far.

No hyperbole there at all.

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 05:29 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: That was a true Bengal analysis - always hope and cross your fingers and toes that the guy will still turn out OK even though he has been a bust so far.

I know how you can simplify posting.  Just copy and paste the following---

EVERYTHING ABOUT THE BENGALS SUCKS.

There.  Save yourself a lot of typing.

Reply/Quote
if Ross doesnt pull that groin vs the Falcons does his season end up
differently?
Reply/Quote