Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
For 2024: A New Identity on Offense?
(01-01-2024, 11:54 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I highly doubt much is going to change. With Burrow, this team is likely always going to be the type of team to spread out defenses, sit in shotgun and throw it 60%-65% of the time. It also works, the offense was very productive. There isn’t much of a reason to change it. It was also productive with Browning this year.

I could see a little change to the offense in 2024 not because they want to do things differently but just simply because they could have a few new players on offense. One thing off the top of my head with Chase Brown I can see them throwing more RB screens like we have seen with Browning. A solid do it all TE could easily add more motions.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:28 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I do NOT know more than Tony Romo about football; few people do.

I DO understand mathematics and statistics very well though.

Great then the fact that only Buffalo and KC over that 2 year span did better both years? Not Philly Not Miami in points per play efficiency should completely resonate.And., why Romo said the offense was so fundamentally sound
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:44 PM)Destro Wrote: They are the Cincinnati Burrows. I love me some Joe Burrow, but when it is all about one guy, and everything else with the team is below par, this is what you get. 

The “Cincinnati Burrows!” This statement hit me like a gut punch from Muhammad Ali. Why? Because it’s true! I’m with you: Joe Burrow is a generational talent and I’m ecstatic he plays in Cincinnati. However, almost every NFL quarterback of renown is surrounded by a quality roster. It’s hard to soar with the eagles when you’re surrounded by turkeys.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:42 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The Bengals do poorly against the AFCN because they can't run the ball effectively and most of the defenses in this division have all-world pass rushers to go along with strong secondaries. That's more of a personnel change IMO. They have to keep trying to add talent in the RB room and OL. 

And they are 6 games out of our schedule each year. Failing to beat them consistently does not bode well for playoff chances. 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Pretty sure we all agree that the run game is the #1 concern on offense and the oline is close a 2nd, although they did improve over the course of the season before yesterday. Pollack is the run game coordinator and oline coach, he is the one we must look at first, but we know they wont. All the coaches will likely get a pass for this season due to Burrow's injury wether we like it or not.

As to the offense maybe we finally draft a solid TE, maybe we draft Tee's replacement...?

We must draft or sign a starting RT. Ford and Scharping are free agents thus we have zero depth at guard.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:46 PM)Synric Wrote: I could see a little change to the offense in 2024 not because they want to do things differently but just simply because they could have a few new players on offense. One thing off the top of my head with Chase Brown I can see them throwing more RB screens like we have seen with Browning. A solid do it all TE could easily add more motions.

The poor season regardless of legit reasons should make everyone in the building hungrier. I can guarantee you it did in Baltimore. They did something about it. Harbaugh dumped his friend Greg Roman and they fixed the WR position that was anemic.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:39 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: You seriously need to get off Zac Taylor's nuts dude. I'm sorry I don't mean to be rude and I know we are on a Bengalsmessage board but holy crap. 

Then you need to get off his back. It’s not hard dude.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:12 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The offense was productive for the most part — but not against the AFC North. Without needed changes the Bengals are going to start six games in the hole every season. Zac Taylor has a horrific record against the North — and that’s without taking 2019 into consideration.

I agree we have to win more in AFC North but 2 of last three years we were AFC North Champions, in those two years we went 6-5 which actually tied Steelers with best division records over those two years. I don;t think we need to panic, though I thought Browning play above expectations and felt he should have played in beginning of year to be fair Burrow played less than a half of football healthy against AFC North.

1st Browns game: Burrow limited lost
1st Ravens game: Burrow limited lost
2nd Ravens game: 14-7 lead, Burrow done for year
Steelers two games with Browning.

I would adjust offensive some with Burrow under center some, he needs to improve play action and maybe roll him out a bit more.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:54 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The poor season regardless of legit reasons should make everyone in the building hungrier. I can guarantee you it did in Baltimore. They did something about it. Harbaugh dumped his friend Greg Roman and they fixed the WR position that was anemic.

The Browns and Steelers also have the ability to “fix it” on the fly. Why the Bengals can’t do this is beyond me.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:52 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Pretty sure we all agree that the run game is the #1 concern on offense and the oline is close a 2nd, although they did improve over the course of the season before yesterday. Pollack is the run game coordinator and oline coach, he is the one we must look at first, but we know they wont. All the coaches will likely get a pass for this season due to Burrow's injury wether we like it or not.

As to the offense maybe we finally draft a solid TE, maybe we draft Tee's replacement...?

We must draft or sign a starting RT. Ford and Scharping are free agents thus we have zero depth at guard.

I think Hudson is a solid TE and the back up Guard we need should be Volson. Fixing the run and game and improving the O line are the same thing to me.
Drafting/signing guys to improve the O line is still priority number one in my eyes. A close second is improving the D line. First 2 picks should be linemen on both sides of the ball. Hopefully guys will be there that aren’t reaches for those positions.
Reply/Quote
Shore up the defense. It will keep the game manageable for the offense. I know we have a weapon in Burrow, but we need to become a run-heavy offense. It would preserve Burrow longer, make play-action more effective, continue drives on 2nd or 3rd and short (3 yards or less), be a nightmare for defenses on whether to double Chase or stack the line. Yeah, I'm old-school - defense win championships and it all starts in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Let the offensive line attack.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 11:12 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, I know my postseason Monday morning quarterbacking is starting a week early but this up and down season is still fresh in my mind. Right now, at least as I see it, the Cincinnati Bengals need to develop a more recognizable offensive identity in the offseason. Right now it looks like Zac Taylor and Brian Callahan are trying the strategy of “throw jello at the wall and see what sticks” with respect to play calling and play design.

A strategic decision must be made before free agency opens and the Draft is upon us. Moving forward in 2024 and beyond is going to take some serious strategic planning. The first question should revolve around the offense: Do the Bengals go Air Raid, Smashmouth, or something else? Air Raid worked nicely against the NFC West (4-0) but fared badly against the rest of the AFC North (0-6 or 1-5).

(I’m well aware the terms “Air Raid” and “Smashmouth” mean different things to different people. If anyone has better terminology please feel free to share.)

(01-01-2024, 12:12 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The offense was productive for the most part — but not against the AFC North. Without needed changes the Bengals are going to start six games in the hole every season. Zac Taylor has a horrific record against the North — and that’s without taking 2019 into consideration.

(01-01-2024, 12:52 PM)Destro Wrote: And they are 6 games out of our schedule each year. Failing to beat them consistently does not bode well for playoff chances. 

The reason why I doubt they change anything major "just for the AFCN", is because Burrow's record vs the North, when healthy, is 8-3 since 2021.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:59 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Browns and Steelers also have the ability to “fix it” on the fly. Why the Bengals can’t do this is beyond me.

The Browns are making the playoffs for 1st time since 2020, just three times since 1999, I don't think they have proven they can fix on the fly... they also spend a ton of capital on a broken QB it looks like, lets see if they can maintain it.... but they have been trying to fix on a fly for a long time to be honest, how about 37 starting QBs from 99 to 2023.....
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:59 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Browns and Steelers also have the ability to “fix it” on the fly. Why the Bengals can’t do this is beyond me.

What happened to Lou's halftime adjustments? This is when teams can't score against the Bengals.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 01:04 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The Browns are making the playoffs for 1st time since 2020, just three times since 1999, I don't think they have proven they can fix on the fly... they also spend a ton of capital on a broken QB it looks like, lets see if they can maintain it.... but they have been trying to fix on a fly for a long time to be honest, how about 37 starting QBs from 99 to 2023.....

The Browns also are not afraid to spend money on big time talent like Z Smith and Tomlinson.  

Reply/Quote
If they continue to throw the ball 65-70 percent of the time with a healthy Joe Burrow, I think we're just going to have to continue to hold our breath every play.  Chances are is that Joe gets hurt again, but I think that's the risk they're willing to take.  With no real dedicated run game or a back that can really pass block, it does allow the defense the opportunity to pin it's ears back almost every play.

As the years go by, I think Burrow will change his mind about the offense as the injuries mount and it becomes more difficult for him to get away from pressure.  They'll continue to dump most of the money into QB, WR1 and WR2.  That won't leave much meat for anything else on offense as you've spent $100-110 million of the cap on just 3 positions assuming Chase gets 30 and Tee gets 20-25 or so?  

I'm not real excited about keeping the same offense the same.  It still works kind of, but the AFC North teams will continue to punish us because they know our tricks.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote

We did too in FA in 2020-21. But this is a good division. Andrew Berry is a solid GM at the Browns that can’t be held responsible for the Watson trade. He was opposed. Baltimore FO & Harbaugh are good. You don’t make it this long if you aren’t. Same goes for the entire Steelers organization. I remember talking to Barry Switzer one time he said you don’t think they have good players or coaches on the other sideline ______? We’ve won back to back AFC North divisions. They need to up their game … the whole building. They need to fix the running game and they need to start the season faster. Those two top my list but there are certainly others.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 01:02 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The reason why I doubt they change anything major "just for the AFCN", is because Burrow's record vs the North, when healthy, is 8-3 since 2021.

Exactly

Reply/Quote
Lot of mediocre teams next season. It seems we're facing the NFC East (Philly and Washigton at home, Giants and Cowboys on the road), the garbage of the league (Carolina and Tennessee on the road and Patriots at home), and the mediocre AFC West (Broncos and Raiders at home, Chiefs and Chargers on the road).
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 01:30 PM)Bengalion Wrote: Lot of mediocre teams next season. It seems we're facing the NFC East (Philly and Washigton at home, Giants and Cowboys on the road), the garbage of the league (Carolina and Tennessee on the road and Patriots at home), and the mediocre AFC West (Broncos and Raiders at home, Chiefs and Chargers on the road).

Really?  I hope you are correct but I have more confidence in many of those teams.

Philly is a very good team, as are the Cowboys and they are especially tough at home.

Patriots have a top tier defense.  Broncos and Raiders vastly improved this season.

Chargers will have a new coach, likely a high powered offensive one.

Playing KC is never easy.

Im sure we are capable of winning all of these but I think many are better than mediocre. 

Reply/Quote