Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For Those Thirty and Up
If you have a busy life...kids, job, hobbies, kids extracurricular activities, friends, family, church or whatever, time is going to fly by because you are always busy. There is never enough time in the day to get everything done. When you're young, like in your teens and 20's, you really don't have much to do other than a job and going out to party so time seems to drag. As you get older and older, you responsibilities increase and you start having more and more things to do in your life.

Now for me, I don't work and I do a lot of stuff for the church I belong to which keeps me busy some and I play video games and help raise my grand daughter. Other than that, there is nothing else for me to do so time drags. Plus, I get maybe four hours of sleep every day and that's on a good day at that so my days are longer than most.

When my wife and I were first married, time seemed to fly by. We were 18 and had our first kid when we were 19 years old. As the kids got older, time sped up for us then I was in that auto accident and time slowed way down.

I do think we Americans work too much and take on way too many things. People need to slow down and enjoy life. By the time you're 80, you're ready for the next 10 years if you slow down now some rather than being ready for death.

Opinion of course
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 09:14 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I do think we Americans work too much and take on way too many things. People need to slow down and enjoy life. By the time you're 80, you're ready for the next 10 years if you slow down now some rather than being ready for death.

Opinion of course

I recall reading last year that many companies in one of the nordic countries (Sweden?) are experimenting with employees being limited to working 5 days at 6 hours each.  If I remember correctly, they early results were very promising.  Hopefully it can grab hold here in the States.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 10:04 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I recall reading last year that many companies in one of the nordic countries (Sweden?) are experimenting with employees being limited to working 5 days at 6 hours each.  If I remember correctly, they early results were very promising.  Hopefully it can grab hold here in the States.

It does work over there. They've done studies in Japan, which is the opposite of the Nordic countries, and it has shown that Japanese people tend to be extremely stressed out because they're working around 16 hours a day. Marriages just crumble and many people are dropping dead at younger ages due to heart attacks brought on by stress.

It's not a surprise to see any of that. Most of the people I've met that work crazy long hours tend to be extremely stressed and not happy in life.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
"You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death....."

To echo some sentiments, it does seem that wife and kids add fuel to the fire. I was married at 32, and that's when the pace quickened. After two kids, it's at breakneck speed......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 04:35 PM)jason Wrote: I think time seems to go by faster the older that we get because of perspective.  When you are 5, a year is 20% of your life.  At 41, it is next to nothing.  Life does go by fast.  I was 20 just the other day.

I was going to say this, but figured someone already had. I think this is what it is primarily. I mean, a day, a week, a month, those are less and less of your life as you age and you accumulate more of them.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 10:04 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I recall reading last year that many companies in one of the nordic countries (Sweden?) are experimenting with employees being limited to working 5 days at 6 hours each.  If I remember correctly, they early results were very promising.  Hopefully it can grab hold here in the States.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/17/efficiency-up-turnover-down-sweden-experiments-with-six-hour-working-day

Quote:Despite the positive signs, the experiment is likely to end next year – the centre-left coalition on Gothenburg council has lost its majority, and the Conservatives and Liberals are firmly opposed to reduced working hours. The trial is costing about 8m Swedish krona (£630,000) a year, according to the Liberal party. “It’s like living in a world where it is raining money from the sky,” according to one Conservative councillor. The Liberal party declined an invitation to comment for this article.

I doubt it will catch on here where the idea is to make work life more comfortable, justifying it around longer hours. France went to a 35 hours work week for their classification of full-time. That was a while back. How that's effected their workers or economy, no idea.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 06:31 PM)Benton Wrote: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/17/efficiency-up-turnover-down-sweden-experiments-with-six-hour-working-day

I doubt it will catch on here where the idea is to make work life more comfortable, justifying it around longer hours. France went to a 35 hours work week for their classification of full-time. That was a while back. How that's effected their workers or economy, no idea.

It won't work if everyone gets paid the same for working a lot less hours.  
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 05:17 PM)Wyche Wrote: "You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death....."

To echo some sentiments, it does seem that wife and kids add fuel to the fire.  I was married at 32, and that's when the pace quickened.  After two kids, it's at breakneck speed......

Totally off topic, but one of my all time favorite guitar solos is stuck in between those two verses.  Carry on.......... Rock On
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 02:39 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'll be 50 next month and it seems like my 40s took about 6 months to get through. It literally feels like time is on fast forward anymore. I get to work on Monday (looking forward to Friday and another weekend off), blink a couple times, and it's Friday already. It works for me though. I sleep about 3-4 hours a night (for the last 22-23 years) so i feel like i've chronologically been around about 70 years (part of that is having lots of vivid memories going back to when i was 3 years old). Mentally though, i've always felt like i was about 27.

I'll turn 5o kater this year as well, and I know what you mean. My 40s were a blur. I was 36 just yesterday.

I wonder if the perception of time flying has anythig to do with seeing the finish line? By that, I mean the realization that you have more days behind you than you have in front of you. You start playing with the numbers. For example, I'll soon be closer to 75 than to 25, and that blows my mind, man.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote