Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For anyone wishing to defend PA, and Bengals coaching.....
Look no further than Russell Bodine as proof to what ails this team:

Quote:It's a real shame that Bodine landed on injured reserve with a broken fibula suffered against the Dolphins in Week 13, because he had been a rare bright spot for Buffalo's offense-and one of the most improved players I'd seen this season. When I watched Bodine's tape during his time with the Bengals, I was frequently distressed by a heavy-footed player who struggled with the simplest pass-rush concepts, and despite his obvious strength, he lacked root strength because his technique was so bad. I listed him as the NFL's worst center near the end of the 2017 season, and the tape more than backed up that assertion.

But after signing a two-year, $5 million contract with the Bills this last offseason, something clicked, because Bodine was playing at an entirely different level. More than ever, he was coming off the snap low and nasty, driving defensive tackles out of the play, and keeping his quarterbacks clean. He'd allowed no sacks, one quarterback hit, and eight quarterback hurries in 340 pass-blocking snaps this season.

The Bills have a lot of work to do with their offense, but they'll have the center position on lock next season when Bodine returns.

NO SACKS!!!!!

Seriously.....WTF.  He was among the league's worst centers when he was here!  Kind of solidifies what we said about Piano Paul, and about Merv's staff in general to this day.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2018, 04:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: Look no further than Russell Bodine as proof to what ails this team:

NO SACKS!!!!!

Seriously.....WTF.  He was among the league's worst centers when he was here!  Kind of solidifies what we said about Piano Paul, and about Merv's staff in general to this day.

...and Alexander only lasted for 7 games in Dallas.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2018, 04:16 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: ...and Alexander couldn't even last a full season in Dallas.

Indeed.....but we all laughed at Buffalo for taking this guy, or at least I did, and look what one offseason away from this shit storm does for him.  Hell, he's on a bad offense, on a bad team, and he STILL improved.  Unfathomable.

Reply/Quote
This team has and still is suffering from one of the most inept coaching staffs in the NFL. There's exceptions here and there but by and large - they've sucked !

What would John Ross be on the Rams, Chargers, Saints, Chiefs, Patriots, Bears, and many others ? How can Mixon be averaging like 14 touches a game over the last 3 weeks ?
Reply/Quote
It's sickening when I think about the the good talent brought here to die a slow painful career death. All due to coaching.

Reply/Quote
We had a pretty ok to decent line few years back with Whit, Zeitler, etc. At least pass blocking wise they were.

Imagine how good they could have been with a good o-line coach that didn't teach them to kill grass by playing pattycake at practices.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2018, 04:30 PM)Millhouse Wrote: We had a pretty ok to decent line few years back with Whit, Zeitler, etc. At least pass blocking wise they were.

Imagine how good they could have been with a good o-line coach that didn't teach them to kill grass by playing pattycake at practices.

Even then we had major issues at Center - I honestly don't think Piano Man taught anyone sound blocking technique and especially he was terrible at coaching up interior linemen. 
Reply/Quote
What site is this from?
I remember in 2016 Bodine had a similar season here he was rated in the 70s that year according to PFF.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2018, 04:38 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: What site is this from?
I remember in 2016 Bodine had a similar season here he was rated in the 70s that year according to PFF.

MSN

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-nfl%E2%80%99s-most-underrated-offensive-players/ar-BBQxAnc

Interestingly enough.....our own Tyler Boyd made the list.  With no write up. Mad 

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2018, 04:38 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: What site is this from?

I don't recall Bodine ever being rated above like the 25th or so C in the NFL.  It seems he took a rather large leap in Buffalo.  Any idea who coaches their o line?

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2018, 04:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: Look no further than Russell Bodine as proof to what ails this team:

NO SACKS!!!!!

Wow, just wow. This is eye opening Wyche to say the least. To go from the worst Center in the league to one of the
most improved in one Offseason is downright astonishing. PA might of been even worse than i thought after seeing
this which is REALLY bad. This deserves a shocked face...

Shocked
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2018, 04:50 PM)Wyche Wrote: I don't recall Bodine ever being rated above like the 25th or so C in the NFL.  It seems he took a rather large leap in Buffalo.  Any idea who coaches their o line?

Juan Castillo
Reply/Quote

NO SACKS!!!!!

What's even more aggravating is that we ran Bodine out of town with pitchforks and blew a 1st round pick on Price and talent wasn't the problem.  Coaching is.

Bad coaching can make good drafts look bad and vice versa.  We really need to clean out this coaching staff.  We have one of the youngest rosters in the league and God knows what a competent staff could do with them.
Reply/Quote
I can't believe it. I want to because well that's pretty much how it happens (bums leave Bengals and become probowlers).

But I can't believe Bodine turned things around.

That's good coaching. And like more and more of us talk about, our players hardly ever develop once drafted.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I always thought Bodine was under performing here, because coming out of college he was supposed to be an extremely strong and nasty center.... See, and PA knew he was a good center, he said so many times. He just couldn't coach him worth a shit. lol
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2018, 05:05 PM)Whatever Wrote: What's even more aggravating is that we ran Bodine out of town with pitchforks and blew a 1st round pick on Price and talent wasn't the problem.  Coaching is.

Bad coaching can make good drafts look bad and vice versa.  We really need to clean out this coaching staff.  We have one of the youngest rosters in the league and God knows what a competent staff could do with them.

Exactly.  It's so bad, even Hobs is taking shots at them for not getting Malik Jefferson on the field.

Quote:But, first, can we find out once and for all if one of last year’s third-rounders, Texas linebacker and Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year Malik Jefferson, can play or not?

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2018, 05:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I always thought Bodine was under performing here, because coming out of college he was supposed to be an extremely strong and nasty center....

Right on Sled.....it never made sense how he was constantly shoved back into the pocket, based on the scouting reports.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2018, 05:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: Right on Sled.....it never made sense how he was constantly shoved back into the pocket, based on the scouting reports.

PA's "fall back and catch" scheme. You can never be as strong going backwards as you are going forward.....
Reply/Quote
You mean Bodine wasn't the problem?? Mellow

Seriously, you're onto something when you mention the coaching staff's development (or lack of) young players into polished professionals. The only ones who seem to have success, are the ones that would be a star on any club.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

NO SACKS!!!!!

So essentially everything comes down to the Bengals having good talent evaluators but terrible ability to coach those players.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote