Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those coveting a practice bubble...
Ken Anderson’s moustache. Dave Lapham’s biceps. Ken Riley’s sideburns. The smoke steaming off Eddie Edwards’ ears when he catches on fire on the heated bench. The Riverfront Stadium scoreboard, locked at Bengals 27, Chargers 7. All frozen together in a historic tableau known as “The Freezer Bowl.” Bengals founder Paul Brown floats through the minus-59 wind chill to the locker room to congratulate the first Bengals team to ever go to the Super Bowl. “I remember how elated he was,” says their coach that day, Forrest Gregg, recalling it all on the 20th anniversary. “He had a big smile and said, ‘We’re going to the Super Bowl.’” It is the second coldest game in NFL history. Gregg, Vince Lombardi’s Hall-of-Fame right tackle, plays in the coldest game ever 14 years before in the iconic Ice Bowl in Green Bay when he digs in with the rest of the Packers offensive line with 13 seconds left on Bart Starr’s fourth-down-do-or-die QB sneak that gives them the title. But the cold front for the Freezer Bowl moves in during Lombardi’s first NFL championship game in 1960 on an icy mud patch in Philadelphia, ending with the Packers on the Eagles 10 down, 17-13. Gregg remembers Lombardi never again practicing indoors on the way to five NFL titles.

“If there’s one thing I learned from Lombardi,” Gregg says all those years later, “it was if you’re going to play outdoors, you have to practice outdoors. I think that helped us more than anything because we got more reps, more plays in that week outside.” Gregg passes the torch of toughness to his Bengals in the bitterly cold weather embedding Cincinnati the week of the game with ominous game day weather forecasts. Cornerback Louis Breeden remembers it being so cold in practice that it hurt. “Forrest didn’t keep us out there very long,” Breeden says. “But I remember thinking, ‘what are we doing out here?’” While Lombardi would only let offensive linemen wear gloves, Gregg lets his receivers wear what he calls the new “golf gloves.” Except tight end M.L. Harris. “M.L. had these big leather gloves,” Gregg says. “I mean regular gloves, just like you would wear around driving your car or something. I asked him, ‘Can you catch in those things?’ and I saw that he could so I let him wear them. If you’ve got the equipment, use it. I’m not interested in seeing how tough of a man you are.” Naturally, Harris gloves the first touchdown of the day on eight-yard pass from quarterback Ken Anderson for a 10-0 lead midway through the first quarter and Bengaldom begins to feel the thaw.
https://www.bengals.com/news/this-day-in-bengals-history-bengals-thaw-freezer-bowl-for-first-super-bowl-trip
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 09:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Ken Anderson’s moustache. Dave Lapham’s biceps. Ken Riley’s sideburns. The smoke steaming off Eddie Edwards’ ears when he catches on fire on the heated bench. The Riverfront Stadium scoreboard, locked at Bengals 27, Chargers 7. All frozen together in a historic tableau known as “The Freezer Bowl.” Bengals founder Paul Brown floats through the minus-59 wind chill to the locker room to congratulate the first Bengals team to ever go to the Super Bowl. “I remember how elated he was,” says their coach that day, Forrest Gregg, recalling it all on the 20th anniversary. “He had a big smile and said, ‘We’re going to the Super Bowl.’” It is the second coldest game in NFL history. Gregg, Vince Lombardi’s Hall-of-Fame right tackle, plays in the coldest game ever 14 years before in the iconic Ice Bowl in Green Bay when he digs in with the rest of the Packers offensive line with 13 seconds left on Bart Starr’s fourth-down-do-or-die QB sneak that gives them the title. But the cold front for the Freezer Bowl moves in during Lombardi’s first NFL championship game in 1960 on an icy mud patch in Philadelphia, ending with the Packers on the Eagles 10 down, 17-13. Gregg remembers Lombardi never again practicing indoors on the way to five NFL titles.

“If there’s one thing I learned from Lombardi,” Gregg says all those years later, “it was if you’re going to play outdoors, you have to practice outdoors. I think that helped us more than anything because we got more reps, more plays in that week outside.” Gregg passes the torch of toughness to his Bengals in the bitterly cold weather embedding Cincinnati the week of the game with ominous game day weather forecasts. Cornerback Louis Breeden remembers it being so cold in practice that it hurt. “Forrest didn’t keep us out there very long,” Breeden says. “But I remember thinking, ‘what are we doing out here?’” While Lombardi would only let offensive linemen wear gloves, Gregg lets his receivers wear what he calls the new “golf gloves.” Except tight end M.L. Harris. “M.L. had these big leather gloves,” Gregg says. “I mean regular gloves, just like you would wear around driving your car or something. I asked him, ‘Can you catch in those things?’ and I saw that he could so I let him wear them. If you’ve got the equipment, use it. I’m not interested in seeing how tough of a man you are.” Naturally, Harris gloves the first touchdown of the day on eight-yard pass from quarterback Ken Anderson for a 10-0 lead midway through the first quarter and Bengaldom begins to feel the thaw.
https://www.bengals.com/news/this-day-in-bengals-history-bengals-thaw-freezer-bowl-for-first-super-bowl-trip

That was 50 years ago. Things are different now. Stop living in the past.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 09:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote:  “Forrest didn’t keep us out there very long,” Breeden says.

This is because the body burns a lot of energy just to keep warm.  A team with no indoor facility is going to be limited in the number of reps and overall practice time if they have to do everything outdoors.

I agree that it is important to be exposed to the weather you will play in, but you also need an indoor facility to get in the amount of reps and practice time needed.

If you practice outdoors all week in severe cold the team will be worn down.
Reply/Quote
I think gregg has a point. Just because it was in the past doesn't mean we have to indulge the wussiedom that seems to be overtaking the young men of our nation. And guys like NFL players lead the way in that regard.

Ps not a big fan of Gregg the Packers coach either, after what he had done to McMahon.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
I can't believe more teams aren't practicing outdoors after seeing all the success the Bengals have had with it.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 11:11 AM)SladeX Wrote: I think gregg has a point. Just because it was in the past doesn't mean we have to indulge the wussiedom that seems to be overtaking the young men of our nation. And guys like NFL players lead the way in that regard.

Ps not a big fan of Gregg the Packers coach either, after what he had done to McMahon.

Not familiar with this.  What's the story.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 11:25 AM)Wyche Wrote: Not familiar with this.  What's the story.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/thirty-years-ago-bears-packers-featured-the-dirtiest-hit-in-nfl-history-102016
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 11:05 AM)ochocincos Wrote: That was 50 years ago. Things are different now. Stop living in the past.

we still have an outdoor stadium.... until everyone plays is a sissy dome we will practice outside.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 11:32 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: we still have an outdoor stadium.... until everyone plays is a sissy dome we will practice outside.

It just makes me laugh to think all 8 teams that are currently vying for the SB this year are currently practicing indoors.  What wimps.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 11:29 AM)Nately120 Wrote: https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/thirty-years-ago-bears-packers-featured-the-dirtiest-hit-in-nfl-history-102016

Wow.  That's bush league.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 11:40 AM)Wyche Wrote: Wow.  That's bush league.

Yeah, it would pretty much be like one of Washington's players going over after the play and intentionally breaking Nick Foles' arm during week 17.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 11:10 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is because the body burns a lot of energy just to keep warm.  A team with no indoor facility is going to be limited in the number of reps and overall practice time if they have to do everything outdoors.

I agree that it is important to be exposed to the weather you will play in, but you also need an indoor facility to get in the amount of reps and practice time needed.

If you practice outdoors all week in severe cold the team will be worn down.
Or a wise HC would have them practice outdoors for 45 minutes less time each practice, then do the fitness portion indoors (non contact) where the team has a great facility to get players fit
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 11:37 AM)Nately120 Wrote: It just makes me laugh to think all 8 teams that are currently vying for the SB this year are currently practicing indoors.  What wimps.

I posted a thread year or so ago I'll see if I can find it ? Think it was from 2013 and it showed,  and it wasn't even close, the overwhelming number of division winners and playoff teams have indoor facility. Less injuries as well I believe.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 11:05 AM)ochocincos Wrote: That was 50 years ago. Things are different now. Stop living in the past.

Exactly !

When I was playing HS football quite some time ago we had 3 hour long practices on hot early August afternoons 95 in the shade. We weren't allowed to take our helmets off and we got one water break right in the middle of practice. It was those tiny paper dixie cups like 5 ounces ! Toughen us up they said.

It's amazing their wasn't a ton more heat stroke ! We've wised up a lot since then.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 11:32 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: we still have an outdoor stadium.... until everyone plays is a sissy dome we will practice outside.

Read what Fred said above. Also point to the fact that all 8 remaining teams in the playoffs have indoor practice facilities (or indoor stadiums), as Nately said.
Call it whatever you want, but it's the trend, and those unwilling to change with it are getting left behind.
Progress doesn't go backward, it goes forward.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 11:29 AM)Nately120 Wrote: https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/thirty-years-ago-bears-packers-featured-the-dirtiest-hit-in-nfl-history-102016

Wow...

I've never seen that before. I'm thinking a play like that would result in a lifetime ban from.the sport nowadays.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 12:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly !

When I was playing HS football quite some time ago we had 3 hour long practices on hot early August afternoons 95 in the shade. We weren't allowed to take our helmets off and we got one water break right in the middle of practice. It was those tiny paper dixie cups like 5 ounces ! Toughen us up they said.

It's amazing their wasn't a ton more heat stroke ! We've wised up a lot since then.

Not even just that, but the idea of comparing a HS team playing outside to a bunch of players who are worth millions is like saying I used to park my $300 1988 Corsica out on the street, so I don't see why I should put my new Lexus in a garage.
Reply/Quote
You have to wonder if that game would even be played in this day and age.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 12:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Read what Fred said above. Also point to the fact that all 8 remaining teams in the playoffs have indoor practice facilities (or indoor stadiums), as Nately said.
Call it whatever you want, but it's the trend, and those unwilling to change with it are getting left behind.
Progress doesn't go backward, it goes forward.

Right,

They used to bleed people for any and every illness they had. We got wiser
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 12:20 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: You have to wonder if that game would even be played in this day and age.

I just looked up coldest NFL games and found this on NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d824da7dd/coldest-games-in-nfl-history
Reply/Quote