Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those that want a HC change....
^ Agreed. I really hate that Marv's legacy won't have a happy ending, and honestly, not winning in the playoffs will BE his legacy.

...and we were so flipping close against the Steelers. It's almost movie script cruel.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 11:18 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: They will not fire Marvin mid-season. That's not going to happen. And honestly I'm not seeing a competent HC on our sidelines. Those guys have gone on to greener pastures. We need a new face & attitude in a bad way.

Cleveland is NOT a greener pasture.  Tongue

It's falling apart in Minnesota as well. That's not suprising considering all the injuries though. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I probably would promote Haslett to interim hc status, since he does have hc experience. This would allow Zampese and Guenther to concentrate on being coordinators.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 12:56 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I probably would promote Haslett to interim hc status, since he does have hc experience. This would allow Zampese and Guenther to concentrate on being coordinators.

There's a decent option....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 12:59 PM)Wyche Wrote: There's a decent option....

I dont know about decent, but more like logical lol.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 01:02 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I dont know about decent, but more like logical lol.

Ha ha ha ha.....yeah poor word choice on my part. ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
Mike isn't gonna fire Marvin during the season, so that scenario is very unrealistic. Will he fire him after the season is over? Probably not, but at least it's a bit more probable.

If Marvin was let go, there are 5 names that I think could be realistic candidates to replace him...

Brian Billick - He has stated that he would like to be a head coach again, and he's someone that I think could co-exist with Mike. 
Matt Patricia - Very smart guy, has shown great ability to adapt and of course, is a Belichick disciple.
Vance Joseph - They were very high on him when he was here and blocked him from going to Denver at one point.
Kyle Shanahan - A young, but experienced coordinator who seems primed for a HCing opportunity.
Josh McDaniels - Yes, he failed in his first gig as HC, but is someone I could see Mike/Katie being interested in.

I think these guys would all be realistic options. 3 of them are looking to become head coaches for the first time, the other 2 are trying to get back there. All would be affordable and I think all would jump at the opportunity.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 11:08 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The same GM is in place who hasn't won a playoff game in 24+ years.

The Bengals had 2 good drafts and it fooled everyone into thinking that the organization changed.

I'm all for a coaching change. Marvin has been serviceable but a new innovative voice is needed imho.

That said, it's pretty hard to estimate this last draft because of the injury factor. Of course the always present "who the heck is that" pick (Vigil) has been less than stellar.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 05:14 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Mike isn't gonna fire Marvin during the season, so that scenario is very unrealistic. Will he fire him after the season is over? Probably not, but at least it's a bit more probable.

If Marvin was let go, there are 5 names that I think could be realistic candidates to replace him...

Brian Billick - He has stated that he would like to be a head coach again, and he's someone that I think could co-exist with Mike. 
Matt Patricia - Very smart guy, has shown great ability to adapt and of course, is a Belichick disciple.
Vance Joseph - They were very high on him when he was here and blocked him from going to Denver at one point.
Kyle Shanahan - A young, but experienced coordinator who seems primed for a HCing opportunity.
Josh McDaniels - Yes, he failed in his first gig as HC, but is someone I could see Mike/Katie would be interested in.

I think these guys would all be realistic options. 3 of them are looking to become head coaches for the first time, the other 2 are trying to get back there. All would be affordable and I think all would jump at the opportunity.

I'll be shocked if it's not Guenther.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 05:14 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Mike isn't gonna fire Marvin during the season, so that scenario is very unrealistic. Will he fire him after the season is over? Probably not, but at least it's a bit more probable.

Josh McDaniels - Yes, he failed in his first gig as HC, but is someone I could see Mike/Katie would be interested in.

Agree, and let's not forget the coach that was inducted into the Giants ROH last night. I found his presence during last night's game quite interesting or intriguing.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 05:44 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Agree, and let's not forget the coach that was inducted into the Giants ROH last night. I found his presence during last night's game quite interesting or intriguing.

......and him continually speaking of "the right situation".

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 05:42 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I'll be shocked if it's not Guenther.

It certainly wouldn't shock me if that happened, but if the defense continues to struggle, I would have to think it hurts his chances. But you never know what Mike is thinking.  Whatever

(11-15-2016, 05:44 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Agree, and let's not forget the coach that was inducted into the Giants ROH last night. I found his presence during last night's game quite interesting or intriguing.

He and Mike are longtime friends, so you never know. In a recent SI interview, he said he wasn't eager to coach again unless it was a 'good opportunity'. 

Of the 5 names I mentioned and throwing Coughlin into the mix...who would get your vote?
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 06:06 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It certainly wouldn't shock me if that happened, but if the defense continues to struggle, I would have to think it hurts his chances. But you never know what Mike is thinking.  Whatever

He and Mike are longtime friends, so you never know. In a recent SI interview, he said he wasn't eager to coach again unless it was a 'good opportunity'. 

Of the 5 names I mentioned and throwing Coughlin into the mix...who would get your vote?

The only thing with Coughlin is age.....I'd probably see what McDaniels could do, although I'd love to see Tom here.

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 06:06 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Of the 5 names I mentioned and throwing Coughlin into the mix...who would get your vote?

I can't pick between McDaniels and Joseph. Vance is a guy who has familiarity with us, but he would still be a breath of fresh air for us. McDaniels has been a HC before and screwed up. He seems to understand that he has to reel himself in. Plus, he's not going to get free reign like he did in Denver. Mike will not let that happen. I still believe he can get creative with our players.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I'm probably in the minority, but I've got no problem with Zampese. He's taken one of the most talented offenses in the NFL and not gotten in their way. It's not his fault the line bad, both in play and in stupid penalties.

Outside of that, I'd be ok with a house cleaning. Our defensive players are individually better than bottom eight. Our team as individual players are better than a losing season. If the players aren't playing to their potential, you've got to look at the leadership.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 05:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: ......and him continually speaking of "the right situation".

If you really delude yourself you can imagine working for the crappiest owner/GM in the league and having the opportunity to stand outside in the winter months sans practice facility being JUST the situation it takes to coerce a 90 year old with 2 SB rings to join up!
Reply/Quote

Josh McDaniels - Yes, he failed in his first gig as HC, but is someone I could see Mike/Katie being interested in.

Personally, I would probably want Matt or Vance as the two I want the hardest look at. Maybe throw Kyle in there as your third option. Think Josh is just a good o-cord, don't think Billick would want to come here (just a gut feeling). 

Also think Teryl Austin and probably my favorite long-shot guy would be Sean McDermott as good candidates. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote

Kyle Shanahan all day. Smart, young, has the network already in place for an outstanding offense. Plus, he was willing to walk away from a coaching position because management made a catastrophic call. Not that I want a HC that's willing to walk out (and I don't think he would in a HC position), but I want one that's going to stand up for doing what's best for winning, not what's best for merch sales.

I wouldn't be opposed to Billick, he was a good coach. McDaniels made some bad decisions, but not in game. If he wasn't doing the GM/HC role, it might be ok. I know folks ae high on Joseph, I'm luke warm. I haven't seen anything from him that makes me think he's going to be a great coach, but I may not be looking in the right place.

EDIT: I will say, since we're talking about Shanahan, I can see him getting attention if the Rams move on from Fisher this season.
Reply/Quote

There were TWO coaches on the Giants sidelines I would consider: Coughlin and Spagnuolo.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 06:06 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It certainly wouldn't shock me if that happened, but if the defense continues to struggle, I would have to think it hurts his chances. But you never know what Mike is thinking.  Whatever

I like the young names mentioned but feel a team filled with vets may respond better to hard nosed coaching like TC or BB.

(11-15-2016, 06:09 PM)Wyche Wrote: The only thing with Coughlin is age.....I'd probably see what McDaniels could do, although I'd love to see Tom here.
Agree about TC and the age thing but then again Marv Levy and Bill Snyder are/were pretty good.
Reply/Quote