Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former Bengals QB Evaluates Burrow

Ok, he was just a backup, but I just found this yesterday and he has a lot of cool content on his channel.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Brett Kollman adds a gem!

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 11:39 AM)Okeana Wrote:

Ok, he was just a backup, but I just found this yesterday and he has a lot of cool content on his channel.

3:40 - notice his decision to run. It was immediate on the edge turning his head inside. Beautiful.

As for his timing throws, coaches really got to coach up John Ross so he’s not quitting on his routes. Not always going to work perfectly and Burrow will have to choose option B or C. Ross has to be there, focused, ready to make the play.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 12:26 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: 3:40 - notice his decision to run. It was immediate on the edge turning his head inside. Beautiful.

As for his timing throws, coaches really got to coach up John Ross so he’s not quitting on his routes. Not always going to work perfectly and Burrow will have to choose option B or C. Ross has to be there, focused, ready to make the play.

yes, the 2nd video with Kollman shows how he reads coverages and always watches the center of the field to read space not routes.  His mental is next level and his ability to play under pressure while still making pinpoint perfect throws is why this guy may have the best rookie season of a QB in history.  Ive just never seen a college QB this polished coming into the league.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 01:05 PM)Okeana Wrote: yes, the 2nd video with Kollman shows how he reads coverages and always watches the center of the field to read space not routes.  His mental is next level and his ability to play under pressure while still making pinpoint perfect throws is why this guy may have the best rookie season of a QB in history.  Ive just never seen a college QB this polished coming into the league.

A lot of what makes him so good is having the things that can't really be taught.  He's so calm in the pocket and throwing with such anticipation and the physical and mental toughness and the work ethic.  The foundation is there.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 01:43 PM)McC Wrote: A lot of what makes him so good is having the things that can't really be taught.  He's so calm in the pocket and throwing with such anticipation and the physical and mental toughness and the work ethic.  The foundation is there.

Right

He just has "it". 
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 11:39 AM)Okeana Wrote:

I saw this vid once before and I think I made the comment, if Joe wants do his little kick step, let Joe do it! I wouldn't mess with what's working.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 02:29 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I saw this vid once before and I think I made the comment, if Joe wants do his little kick step, let Joe do it! I wouldn't mess with what's working.

Yep.  

Phillip Rivers throws sidearm.  He's managed to eke out 33.6 miles worth of yardage in the NFL.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 02:29 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I saw this vid once before and I think I made the comment, if Joe wants do his little kick step, let Joe do it! I wouldn't mess with what's working.

Yah I think it's natural because he wants to stand taller in those throwing situations.  He doesn't do it all the time so I don't see it as an imperfection instead of a choice.

Reply/Quote
Saw the JT O'Sullivan vid weeks ago. Damn nice break down of Burrow, the only thing he can even say negative
about him is the heel click, but why change what works? Will watch the Kollman vid now...
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 11:57 AM)Okeana Wrote: Brett Kollman adds a gem!

That is a gem alright Okeana, great breakdown by Kollman. This is why the O-line might not be as big of a weakness as some
make out, still definitely need to improve at RG and RT but we can do this in the Draft. The point is Burrow plays his best when
things go bad, maybe having a bad OL will make him even better LMAO!!!

Dude is seriously special in every aspect, people need to watch the LSU O-line more and they will understand they were FAR 
from great last season. Burrow made them look good even when they were getting beat constantly. His ability to escape the
pocket and throw accurate passes on the run is just like Mahomes when I watch him and Burrow could be a better pocket passer.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 11:57 AM)Okeana Wrote: Brett Kollman adds a gem!

Skip ahead to 14:05 on this one Bengals fans.  Hilarious
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 05:41 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Skip ahead to 14:05 on this one Bengals fans.  Hilarious

Lol 

Rough but true.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 05:41 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Skip ahead to 14:05 on this one Bengals fans.  Hilarious

Dalton is the polar opposite of Burrow.  He always looked directly at one or two receivers and he was terrible at reading defenses.  I am telling you that If Dalton didn't have AJ green and the amazing team around him all those years the guy would have never been a starting QB for more than a year or two.  

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 06:09 PM)Okeana Wrote: Dalton is the polar opposite of Burrow.  He always looked directly at one or two receivers and he was terrible at reading defenses.  I am telling you that If Dalton didn't have AJ green and the amazing team around him all those years the guy would have never been a starting QB for more than a year or two.  

I'm not setting out to trash Dalton but you could say he is living proof that cool in the pocket or pocket awareness is not something that can be developed.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 06:09 PM)Okeana Wrote: Dalton is the polar opposite of Burrow.  He always looked directly at one or two receivers and he was terrible at reading defenses.  I am telling you that If Dalton didn't have AJ green and the amazing team around him all those years the guy would have never been a starting QB for more than a year or two.  

(03-27-2020, 06:11 PM)McC Wrote: I'm not setting out to trash Dalton but you could say he is living proof that cool in the pocket or pocket awareness is not something that can be developed.

Not trashing Dalton either but there is no panic in Burrow, it is all thought out when he evades a pocket. He is getting out on the run
cause he can throw just as good on the run as he can in the pocket with perfect precision. It is predetermined.
Reply/Quote

So true. Now more than ever. That’s why I’ve always kind of rolled my eyes at the whole “Dalton is a surgeon when he’s kept clean” some people like to repeat over and over. That’s true of any QB worth a damn. The guys that can extend plays and make things happen on their own are where the league is going.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 06:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not trashing Dalton either but there is no panic in Burrow, it is all thought out when he evades a pocket. He is getting out on the run
cause he can throw just as good on the run as he can in the pocket with perfect precision. It is predetermined.

Andy's made some decent throws on the run but you could never call it a strength.  With Burrow, it is clearly a strength.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 06:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So true. Now more than ever. That’s why I’ve always kind of rolled my eyes at the whole “Dalton is a surgeon when he’s kept clean” some people like to repeat over and over. That’s true of any QB worth a damn. The guys that can extend plays and make things happen on their own are where the league is going.

lol surgeon.  thats one doctor I would never want to have

Reply/Quote
I agree that Dalton has never been able to carry a team on his own. He's no Russell Wilson.

I've defended Dalton in the past, but it's really hard to after the past few years. I still maintain that he's a good QB when he has a good team around him. He's accurate. He's somewhat mobile. He has good vision. He's proven he can win more than lose.

But... he has not and never will be an elite QB because of the reasons outlined in this thread. His pocket awareness is not good--I would argue it's average. He gets rattled when things break down. He doesn't have elite vision. He doesn't have elite arm strength--which has shown on his Hail Mary throws.

I think his accuracy has been pretty good on short, medium and deep routes though. His deep ball has gotten better over time. That said, he's been inconsistent and thrown costly interceptions.

There's always been a yeah, but with Dalton.

Burrow clearly has elite traits and will elevate this team. I'm excited to have him.

But I'm grateful for what Andy has done as well. He did very well as a 2nd round pick. I feel bad for the guy, but that's life.

Dalton can't be having a good year. He get's benched at the end of last year on his birthday (start of the year in my book). Over time he realizes his team will be drafting his replacement with the number 1 pick. The free agency market proves that he has very little trade value, meaning he will likely have to take a pay cut. He now has to come to terms with quite possibly not having a starting gig next year. To top it off, he just started a restaurant and it can't be doing too well with this Carona-virus. Ouch. Not a good year so far. Wish him well. He's a good guy.
Reply/Quote