Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former Bengals QB Evaluates Burrow
(03-29-2020, 11:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Or maybe, just maybe, a college coach who was named national coach of the year after going undefeated and winning a BCS bowl game at Utah, and who won three national championships at two other schools was actually correct about which QB to play

Like I said, most ofyou did not see him plasy in 2018.  You can talk about shceme mall you want, but if Burrow had the greatest skill set in college history in 2018 then trained scouts would have seen them not matter what scheme he was playing in.

Burrow just was not good enough to win the starting spot at OSU.

Tom Brady just was not good enough to be drafted within the first 5 rounds.  If he would've been good enough to be drafted within the first 5 rounds of the draft, professional scouts would've seen it.  L-O-L.  Sometimes mistakes need to be rubbed in and pounded into peoples's skulls in order for people to get it.  Burrow is a generational talent.  The other OSU QBs are Tim Tebow-lite nobodies.  The Chargers wasted Drew Brees because they didn't know how to use him.  Same deal.  Brees wasn't the problem.  Burrow wasn't the problem.  Brady wasn't the problem.  An elite coach paired with these types of dudes can maximize their results.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 04:45 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: He proved what he is capable of on the field, but yet there's people that see it as a fluke? I really don't understand it. Watch the tape.

So you are not aware of a college player ever looking good on tape and then not so great in the NFL?

Check out Vince Young in the national championship game against that incredible USC defense that had not lost a game in 3 years.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 11:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So you are not aware of a college player ever looking good on tape and then not so great in the NFL?

Check out Vince Young in the national championship game against that incredible USC defense that had not lost a game in 3 years.

Look. If you guys cant see the elite traits Burrow possesses, there’s nothing any of us can say to prove it to you. Burrow is the only one that can prove himself to you when he gets in the league.

I will say it again, though: I don’t know how Burrow’s career will turn out. All I am arguing is that as a prospect he has an extremely high ceiling because of the elite traits he displayed in college. He hasn’t done anything in the pros so all we can do is watch. Keep doubting him. It doesn’t matter one bit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 11:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Or maybe, just maybe, a college coach who was named national coach of the year after going undefeated and winning a BCS bowl game at Utah, and who won three national championships at two other schools was actually correct about which QB to play

Like I said, most ofyou did not see him plasy in 2018.  You can talk about shceme mall you want, but if Burrow had the greatest skill set in college history in 2018 then trained scouts would have seen them not matter what scheme he was playing in.

Burrow just was not good enough to win the starting spot at OSU.

Getting away from Ohio State saved his career.   We all know that playing for Urban Meyer is the death of any possibility of an NFL career for any QB not wanting to be a WR.  Urban Meyer is the king of producing QB's who never do squat in the NFL, going back to UF.

Justin Fields looked good last year but unless he transfers, he's doomed.

Leaving OSU was the best thing Burrow ever did.  At least Ed O had brains enough to know what to do with him.  Urban Meyer didn't.  He wasn't smart enough.

Funny how pretty much anyone in the business sees no real holes in the kid's game yet we have armchair experts around here who, without any real evidence hate on him with, fall back on the moronic OSU nonsense.  Reaching much?  

Or, Vince Young, like that is pertinent.  Vince Young, whose failure was his own doing.  Vince Young, who refused to put in the work, a guy with pronounced psychological issues and a goofy throwing motion and is totally different than Joe Burrow in every way.  Did Vince Young complete almost 80% of his passes?  Did he beat seven top ten teams?  But hey, let's go ahead and compare them anyway, no matter how stupid it is to do so, because...well, just because.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 12:19 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Look. If you guys cant see the elite traits Burrow possesses, there’s nothing any of us can say to prove it to you. Burrow is the only one that can prove himself to you when he gets in the league.

I will say it again, though: I don’t know how Burrow’s career will turn out. All I am arguing is that as a prospect he has an extremely high ceiling because of the elite traits he displayed in college. He hasn’t done anything in the pros so all we can do is watch. Keep doubting him. It doesn’t matter one bit.

It's simple really.  Some folks just can't stand to see people happy about anything.  This phenomenon has been showing itself around here for about the last week.  Cabin fever may or may not also be in play.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 03:09 PM)McC Wrote: Right.  Am I supposed to support Ohio University?  They have Ohio in their name too.  Are we supposed to be Browns fans?  They're in Ohio too.

Hell, I hate Xavier too and they're right in Cincinnati.  Maybe a lack of understanding of how being a sports fan works is at work here.

Hell, New Yorkers are either Giants or Jet fans and not both, Yankees or Mets fans and not both.

And yeah, the whole "The" thing. What kind of goofy horse shit is that?

That's what I respect about you Cincinnati boys... You have your own thing down there, and stick to it. That area seems to be more devoted to the two local schools, and even Kentucky and Louisville... As for the "The" thing... It's right there on my degree. It's kinda the name of the place.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 09:51 AM)spazz70 Wrote: You guys crack me up...And I am not defending Dalton necessarily but you are comparing years of watching Dalton compared to some highlight clips of Burrow, even just a few games maybe...And I am not bashing Burrow here but he has not taken one snap in the NFL, none of you have a clue of how he will react under the lights and on the big stage!!   I am sure that if you go and look at Dalton's tape from his senior year you will see the same attributes from him, as a matter of fact if you go watch the Rose Bowl when he beat Russell Wilson and Wisconsin you will see these same attributes.  You guys are making Burrow into a GOD before he even gets on an NFL field.  I hope is the next coming but do not be surprised if/when he struggles against the big boys.

You crack me up... 

Comparing Dalton's last college season to Burrow's... lol

Watch the frickin' tape Spazz. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 11:12 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Tom Brady just was not good enough to be drafted within the first 5 rounds.  If he would've been good enough to be drafted within the first 5 rounds of the draft, professional scouts would've seen it.  L-O-L.  Sometimes mistakes need to be rubbed in and pounded into peoples's skulls in order for people to get it.  Burrow is a generational talent.  The other OSU QBs are Tim Tebow-lite nobodies.  The Chargers wasted Drew Brees because they didn't know how to use him.  Same deal.  Brees wasn't the problem.  Burrow wasn't the problem.  Brady wasn't the problem.  An elite coach paired with these types of dudes can maximize their results.

We certainly don't have an elite coach though...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 12:45 PM)spazz70 Wrote: You guys just keep on making my point for me!!!  I love it...Just sit back and think for a few minutes before answering.

A.  LSU, a team, while good in general but not a perennial powerhouse fielded an excellent team this year overall and everything clicked including the outstanding season by Joe Burrow.

B. Joe Burrow totally carried this team on his back and he is the sole reason that LSU went undefeated and won the national championship.

The reason I say the above is because Andy Dalton is always bashed on because he was not "the guy" to carry a team on his shoulders even though he showed in college that he could.

This is not really about OSU, it is about Joe Burrow not showing enough (albeit he did get injured one season) to start for OSU.  That is why I brought up OSU.  

I am pumped about him...Like I said, I hope he is drafted and comes here and plays for 15 years at a very high level.  

I'm sorry, what?

Poll Era (1936-present, otherwise Yale and Princeton would be at the top with a ton of, "NC Wins.)"

Alabama 12
Notre Dame 8
Oklahoma 7
USC 7
Ohio State 6
Miami (FL) 5
Nebraska 5
LSU 4
Texas 4
Minnesota 4

I may be the only somewhat LSU-fan on these boards (thank you, Whitworth Big Grin) but get off your ******* high horse.

Your beloved team has only 2 more NC wins in 94 years, than LSU. *2*

LSU is a "class of the league," team, basically year in, year out and they just had probably the greatest college football season in the sport's history.

Since when has OSU had even close to a best season in College Football history?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2020, 03:28 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'm sorry, what?

Poll Era (1936-present, otherwise Yale and Princeton would be at the top with a ton of, "NC Wins.)"

Alabama 12
Notre Dame 8
Oklahoma 7
USC 7
Ohio State 6
Miami (FL) 5
Nebraska 5
LSU 4
Texas 4
Minnesota 4

I may be the only somewhat LSU-fan on these boards (thank you, Whitworth Big Grin) but get off your ******* high horse.

LSU is a "class of the league," team, basically year in, year out and they just had probably the greatest college football season in the sport's history.

And they don't do a goofy thing like call themselves THE Louisiana State University.  

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2020, 03:28 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'm sorry, what?

Alabama 12
Notre Dame 8
Oklahoma 7
USC 7
Ohio State 6
Miami (FL) 5
Nebraska 5
LSU 4
Texas 4
Minnesota 4

Will be interesting to see how LSU does without Burrow though I must say...

He was a big reason for them having maybe the greatest college football season in sports history.
Reply/Quote
Everyone calls Burrow a one year wonder, yet he showed his potential by the end of 2018.

Over the last 4 games of that season: 81/121 (66.9%) - 1166 yards (almost 10 per attempt) - 10 TDs to 1 INT

The guy balled out over that stretch. He just needed time to adjust to actually - ya know - playing. As for why he didn't start over Haskins at OSU? Idk. Why didn't Brady start over Brian Griese and Scott Dreisbach at Michigan?

This kind of thing happens all the time in college. I can list dozens of examples great QB's who didn't start for some reason - at some point in their college career.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2020, 03:31 PM)McC Wrote: And they don't do a goofy thing like call themselves THE Louisiana State University.  

Hell yes.

(03-30-2020, 03:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Will be interesting to see how LSU does without Burrow though I must say...

He was a big reason for them having maybe the greatest college football season in sports history.

That is the big question mark.

On all the LSU-centric stuff that pops up on my YouTube feed (which isn't much lol), they are talking about how Myles Brennan and how he'll fit in.

Basically, the gist of everything is that they are very similar, but:

Athleticism: Brennan>Burrow (not by much)
Arm: Brennan>Burrow (not by much)
Intelligence: Burrow>Brennan
Accuracy: Burrow>Brennan
Poise: Burrow>Brennan (by a lot)

Basically, Burrow has intangibles and brains off the chart, while Brennan has a bit more natural, athletic-ability.

Many are saying that because they sat in on meetings, drills and film study together, the fall off will be minimal and Brennan has the chance to really establish himself as a great college passer.

With almost the entire oline and skill players leaving however, we'll see how things shake up...
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2020, 04:09 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Hell yes.

That is the big question mark.

On all the LSU-centric stuff that pops up on my YouTube feed (which isn't much lol), they are talking about how Myles Brennan and how he'll fit in.

Basically, the gist of everything is that they are very similar, but:

Athleticism: Brennan>Burrow (not by much)
Arm: Brennan>Burrow (not by much)
Intelligence: Burrow>Brennan
Accuracy: Burrow>Brennan
Poise: Burrow>Brennan (by a lot)

Basically, Burrow has intangibles and brains off the chart, while Brennan has a bit more natural, athletic-ability.

Many are saying that because they sat in on meetings, drills and film study together, the fall off will be minimal and Brennan has the chance to really establish himself as a great college passer.

With almost the entire oline and skill players leaving however, we'll see how things shake up...

Watching Burrow I don't see how they don't fall off big time. The way he throws the WR's open is so rare.

They still have Jamar Chase who is damn good but losing Burrow, Jefferson, Delpit, Queen, Damien Lewis, Phillips etc.

Man, gonna be tough, they better bring in some great prospects and this Brennan guy better be great.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2020, 04:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Watching Burrow I don't see how they don't fall off big time. The way he throws the WR's open is so rare.

They still have Jamar Chase who is damn good but losing Burrow, Jefferson, Delpit, Queen, Damien Lewis, Phillips etc.

Man, gonna be tough, they better bring in some great prospects and this Brennan guy better be great.

That's what they're all saying; Burrows accuracy and precision is SO great and Brennan has not had the game reps to show whether or not he CAN do those things, thus they fall off may be steep.

In terms of losing skill players, while that may absolutely make a difference, the receivers still at LSU are so good, it won't make too much of a difference; the oline is the bigger deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2020, 04:18 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That's what they're all saying; Burrows accuracy and precision is SO great and Brennan has not had the game reps to show whether or not he CAN do those things, thus they fall off may be steep.

In terms of losing skill players, while that may absolutely make a difference, the receivers still at LSU are so good, it won't make too much of a difference; the oline is the bigger deal.

When you win a NC. especially the way they did, top recruits are gonna be lining up to come play for you.  Chances are, this year's class won't be greatly affected by that, so there might be a fall off for a year but after a year, they should be able to reap the benefits.

It's also worth noting that Bama will also have a new QB and so will Georgia.  The Bama guy got a few games last year but it wasn't a whole season.

Reply/Quote
I WAS for Chase Young as our guy, but we are solid ar DE so I thought Hubbard could adapt to LB. Then the Playoffs. Burrow shreadded VERY good teams, OKL, Clemson. I saw then creativity of Montana and the execution of Brady. good for me.
Andy, is an average or even above average Q,IF he has a solid team. Burrow has STAR quality. Not all high picks DO shine.
We spent #1's for Akili Smith, jack Thompson, Klingler. But the guys that DID well, Kenny Anderson and Esiason, Were not rd 1.
Reply/Quote
What the heck happened in this thread?
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2020, 03:31 PM)McC Wrote: And they don't do a goofy thing like call themselves THE Louisiana State University.  

I answered this for you once...Are you hard of reading?  I thought you went to UC?

The name of the school is "The Ohio State University"  It literally has the word THE in the name.

Go to google and type in Ohio State and read the name.

Go to google and type in LSU and read the name.

It is really simple.....
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2020, 05:13 PM)spazz70 Wrote: I answered this for you once...Are you hard of reading?  I thought you went to UC?

The name of the school is "The Ohio State University"  It literally has the word THE in the name.

Go to google and type in Ohio State and read the name.

Go to google and type in LSU and read the name.

It is really simple.....

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote