Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Former NFL Executive: Zac Taylor 'Not Qualified to be Head Coach
Taylor inherited a dumpster fire from Marvin. Dalton fell off a cliff. Oline was trash. Noone outside of Boyd was a quality pass catcher. Our starting LB's shouldn't even be in the CFL let alone the NFL. Pass rush was living off of previous reputation.
Reply/Quote
It will be interesting to see what the tolerance level will be if they start out 0-5 . When would Brown make a move? end of season or would they have the balls to do it mid season? Whats the magic number on finla season record to decide to keep him? 9-8? 8-9?
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2021, 11:39 AM)kalibengal Wrote: It will be interesting to see what the tolerance level will be if they start out 0-5 . When would Brown make a move? end of season or would they have the balls to do it mid season?  Whats the magic number on finla season record to decide to keep him? 9-8? 8-9?

I think what really complicates this is the fact that Katie was so involved in the coaching search.  Apparently she was in charge of the whole thing.  So, not only do you have a stubborn Mike Brown, you know have Katie having to admit her first coaching hire is a failure.

Fwiw, Dave Shula is the only real example of Mike firing a coach midseason.  Coslet quit.  But it took until 5 years for Mike to make a move on the Steak House king.  He survived an 0-8 start in year 3.

I personally wouldn't look for any moves during the season, no matter what happens (save maybe an 0-12 start or something).  His rationale will be that the season is lost and making a coaching change in the middle of the year is pointless.  And as far as what it will take for them to keep him for year 4, probably not that much.  7-10 probably gets him another year.  Like I said, with Katie involved I'd be willing to bet the last thing she wants to do is fire this guy.  Plus he's got a fully guaranteed 5 year contract.  They don't want to pay out those final two years unless they absolutely have to.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2021, 11:37 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Taylor inherited a dumpster fire from Marvin. Dalton fell off a cliff. Oline was trash. Noone outside of Boyd was a quality pass catcher. Our starting LB's shouldn't even be in the CFL let alone the NFL. Pass rush was living off of previous reputation.

Taylor inherited a rather sub-par team that was 5-6 with its starting QB in 2018.  Marvin's Bengals were middling at worst, but the whole dumpster fire stuff didn't start until immediately after ZT showed up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote