Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Former NFL Executive: Zac Taylor 'Not Qualified to be Head Coach
(07-01-2021, 10:10 AM)TJ528 Wrote: are you really going to compare Zac Taylor to Bill Belichick? 

Back in 1995, when Belichick was hired by the Cleveland Browns as head coach, after he spent 5 seasons as the defensive coordinator of the NY Giants.  

The Giants won the Super XXi and XXV with Belichick as the defensive coordinator.  

However, even trying to compare Zac Taylor, who at his highest level was offensive coordinator at the University of Cincinnati where he was a failure and Belichick is just laughable.  

I want some of whatever you're smoking bro! just sayin  Hilarious Hilarious

That 1986 Giants defense is widely regarded as one of the most dominant defenses of all time.  It usually is only ranked behind the '85 Bears in terms of historical value.

So yeah, that's a pretty nice bullet point on a resume.

He also went 36-44 in Cleveland (.450 winning percentage) and took them to the Divsional round in 1994.  They were 6 points away from playing in the Conference Championship.  His worst year (out of 5 seasons) in Cleveland was 5-11, a mark Taylor hasn't matched in two tries.

But yeah, I guess he was in over his head in the same way as a former WR/QB coach is, who has managed to gone 6-25-1.  That seems like a decent comparison.   Wink
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 10:10 AM)TJ528 Wrote: are you really going to compare Zac Taylor to Bill Belichick? 

Back in 1995, when Belichick was hired by the Cleveland Browns as head coach, after he spent 5 seasons as the defensive coordinator of the NY Giants.  

The Giants won the Super XXi and XXV with Belichick as the defensive coordinator.  

However, even trying to compare Zac Taylor, who at his highest level was offensive coordinator at the University of Cincinnati where he was a failure and Belichick is just laughable.  

I want some of whatever you're smoking bro! just sayin  Hilarious Hilarious
Nobody compared shit. Prove me wrong, Bill had a losing record as a HC in Cleveland....I'll wait
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 11:31 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Nobody compared shit. 

This whole thread sounds like Cleveland back in 1995, when they fired a "in over his head" coach named Bill...

I'd say this is a comparison.  The Browns fired a "in over his head" coach.  I mean there's a lot of people saying that Zac's in WAY over his head.  So I'd say we're doing a comparison.  

Unless you mean it sounds like something else.  
Reply/Quote
It's funny, I just saw Lombardi made the same statements the off season before the Eagles won the Super Bowl about Doug Pederson.

Super Bowl is in the bag!
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 11:31 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: That 1986 Giants defense is widely regarded as one of the most dominant defenses of all time.  It usually is only ranked behind the '85 Bears in terms of historical value.

So yeah, that's a pretty nice bullet point on a resume.

He also went 36-44 in Cleveland (.450 winning percentage) and took them to the Divsional round in 1994.  They were 6 points away from playing in the Conference Championship.  His worst year (out of 5 seasons) in Cleveland was 5-11, a mark Taylor hasn't matched in two tries.

But yeah, I guess he was in over his head in the same way as a former WR/QB coach is, who has managed to gone 6-25-1.  That seems like a decent comparison.   Wink

Oh here come all the negative Nancys!  Again prove me wrong. After his first 2 years, he had a losing record did he not??? I like the fact you guys even mention he was a coordinator and was still in over his head...
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 11:34 AM)TJ528 Wrote: This whole thread sounds like Cleveland back in 1995, when they fired a "in over his head" coach named Bill...

I'd say this is a comparison.  The Browns fired a "in over his head" coach.  I mean there's a lot of people saying that Zac's in WAY over his head.  So I'd say we're doing a comparison.  

Unless you mean it sounds like something else.  
Again prove me wrong? You cant so now you will whine about something else.....
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 11:29 AM)sandwedge Wrote: LMAO, I know someone would say that! The fact still remains Cleveland wanted rid of him after 4 losing seasons,  and 1 winning season. We don't know how this ends for Zac, so chill.

This is true.  However it's also the most outlier situation you could reference.  There are a countless other stories of coaches who sucked being run out of town and never being a HC anywhere else, let alone a successful HC.  

Always hoping for the best for Zac because it means success for the team.  But I don't know how anyone can legitimately argue at this point that Zac is full of greatness.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 11:31 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Nobody compared shit. Prove me wrong, Bill had a losing record as a HC in Cleveland....I'll wait

He had a losing record as head coach but you DID compare the scenarios so Sandwedge compared shit.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 12:30 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote:  It's already looking pretty shaky when all he does to protect JB is to bring in Reiff and draft Carman.  Not exactly going all out, is it?

Bengals had too many other holes in the roster to spend all our resources on O-line.

Adding the 10th highest paid RT in the league and a top 40 pick in the draft is a pretty big investment in the O-line.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 11:56 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Again prove me wrong? You cant so now you will whine about something else.....

Personally, back in the mid 90's i would've kept Belichick.  Going into his 3rd year and his 4th year. 

So Cleveland was coming off a 3-13 record in 1990.  He went 7-9, 7-9 and 11-5.  

Do you really think Mike Brown would've fired Bellichick after the 1995 season because he went 5-11? 

I would never say that dude was in over his head.  He was about average for a Bengal head coach.  
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 12:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals had too many other holes in the roster to spend all our resources on O-line.

Adding the 10th highest paid RT in the league and a top 40 pick in the draft is a pretty big investment in the O-line.

Save your breath, there are many who would prefer the Bengals losing their first 8 games and Taylor being canned over them winning the same 8 games.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 11:53 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Oh here come all the negative Nancys!  Again prove me wrong. After his first 2 years, he had a losing record did he not??? I like the fact you guys even mention he was a coordinator and was still in over his head...

I mean, was he in over his head?  You keep point to losing seasons as if they're all one and the same, and of the same degree.

Bill Belichick was 13-19 after two seasons.  Zac Taylor is 6-25-1. 

Belichick's win totals were 6, 7, 7, 11 in his first 4 years.  While that doesn't strike me as one of the games best it also doesn't strike me as someone who is clearly in over the head.  He was slightly below average. 

Win totals of 2 and 4, and a 2-10 record in the divison is an entirely different story.  Equating the two is like comparing a .270 leadoff hitter to a .150 leadoff hitter.  It's like comparing a slightly overweight 240 pound man to an obese 450 pound man.  
Reply/Quote
Random Internet Dude: Former NFL Executives 'Not Qualified to judge Head Coaches'
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 11:56 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Again prove me wrong? You cant so now you will whine about something else.....

Prove you wrong about Bill Belichich being in over his head?

He went 13-19 in his first two years.  If this type of performance gets labeled "in over their head" then you can describe probably 50% of the coaches in the league similarly.  Is that what we want?

Brian Flores is 15-17 through his first two years.  Was he in over his head?

Kliff Kingsbury is 13-19-1 through his first two years.  Was he in over his head?

I guess it all depends on your definition of the phrase.  I always took it as more of the extreme, that for someone to fit this description they have to be pretty far and away worse than their peers.  I think Zac Taylor has fit that description.  I feel like they way you're using it, which is more broadly, results in it losing all meaning.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 01:14 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Prove you wrong about Bill Belichich being in over his head?

He went 13-19 in his first two years.  If this type of performance gets labeled "in over their head" then you can describe probably 50% of the coaches in the league similarly.  Is that what we want?

Brian Flores is 15-17 through his first two years.  Was he in over his head?

Kliff Kingsbury is 13-19-1 through his first two years.  Was he in over his head?

I guess it all depends on your definition of the phrase.  I always took it as more of the extreme, that for someone to fit this description they have to be pretty far and away worse than their peers.  I think Zac Taylor has fit that description.  I feel like they way you're using it, which is more broadly, results in it losing all meaning.

Yeah, but those guys have indoor practice facilities, and that makes all the difference in the world. Poor Zac only has outdoor fields. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 12:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals had too many other holes in the roster to spend all our resources on O-line.

I think it's a start, but with Hopkins already coming off injury, Burrow coming off injury (won't be able to run away as well this year) and Spain/XSF combo, who honestly feels good about this OL?  I will likely be holding my breath all season whenever JB drops back.

I really just think they missed their chance in FA to really fix things, but I am grateful for Reiff.  One more big move on the OL would've been nice.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Fire Zac and replace him with who? Another Zac?

Maybe Zac didn't have the qualifications, but when there is only one candidate left interested..........many of you act like the Bengals can just hire any qualified coach, its not that easy.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 03:04 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Fire Zac and replace him with who?  Another Zac?  

Maybe Zac didn't have the qualifications, but when there is only one candidate left interested..........many of you act like the Bengals can just hire any qualified coach, its not that easy.

No chance Zac Taylor was the only one left interested.  There's only 32 of these jobs, and there's a sizeable gap in pay between Head Coaches and coordinators and assistants.  I guarantee you there were plenty of people interested in the job.

The Bengals can just as easily hire a qualified coach as anyone else can.  I really don't understand the point you're trying to make here.  We're relegated to having no quality options because of what exactly?
Reply/Quote

when you had the worst line in the league

your number 1 overall pick qb gets his knee torn

your 1st round left tackle cant stay healthy

and your starting center also has his knee ripped to shreds (late in the season too)

there are no other priorities and holes that matter more than the offensive line

they didnt do enough.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 03:14 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote:  We're relegated to having no quality options because of what exactly?

My guess would be Mike Brown and his wallet.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote