Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Former NFL Executive: Zac Taylor 'Not Qualified to be Head Coach
(06-30-2021, 01:32 PM)Au165 Wrote: He also hired Rob Chudzinski as the Browns Head Coach and drafted Barkevious Mingo 6th overall. Not saying the guy is wrong but he hit a pretty big iceburg when he was given the keys to drive.

I mean Zac Taylor hired Jim Turner to coach his offensive line? I mean which one was a bigger blunder? just sayin  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2021, 09:01 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You think Lombardi has as bad a track record as Zac?  Why?

---He's been on staff for 3 Super Bowl wins. 

---He's worked with Bill Walsh, Al Davis, and Bill Belichick

----He was 2nd in command to Al Davis when they last made a Superbowl appearance, and they won the AFC West in 3 consecutive years. 

----He worked with Bill Belichick in both Cleveland and New England. 

---Belichick described him as so: "Mike's...one of the smartest people I've worked with. He was huge asset to me for the two years he was here...he studies football and he knows it very well."

---Bill Walsh is the one who gave him his first job, and he is credited with discovering Charles Haley.

----He had a 32 year long career in the NFL (Idiots and losers don't last 3 decades in this league.)

Look, I know you're angry and I know his statements struck a nerve.  But don't let hurt feelings cause you to embarrass yourself with ridiculous statements.  Comparing someone with the resume outlined above to a coach who has gone 6-25-1 is just crazy talk.

Mike Brown: "Hold my beer."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2021, 12:41 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/9/3/16249726/former-nfl-gm-doug-pederson-head-coach-philadelphia-eagles-mike-lombardi-carson-wentz-ringer-video

If Lombardi's sad reputation couldn't be any more attacked...

Last time I'm saying it; I'm not at all saying there isn't some merit to his comments, but this is BEYOND the kettle calling the pot black.

Wasn't that article early in the same year they won the SB? 

LUUUUULZ

What a doof. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
When Zac was hired on he had no experience in overhauling
A culture. He was never given that responsibility to do such
As a matter of fact in any of his NFL jobs was their
There a urgency to change any culture at all.
At least not at the same level the Bengals were at.

He had nothing on.resume that spelled out this guy
Is a WINNER. HE NEVER WAS LONGER AT JOB MORE
THAN 3 YEARS.

What has he ever turned around and improved
On from.the years before he arrived?

He is severly lacking in many things.
He cant win close ball games. He cant put teams away
His teams are horrible in the last 2 mins of the
1st half and the first 2 mins of the 3rd q.

He made JB throw so many times the defense knew
Exactly what the Bengals gameplan was thus
Causing defenses not to overthink their schemes

If he starts out 0-2 ....send him out the door
Reply/Quote
The best we can hope for Zac is that he improves overall as a coach. He has a lot of really good qualities and he is doing a good job rebuilding the roster, which was in severe need of it when he came in. His record sucks, but the players keep playing and seem to be buying what he's selling. People are capable of learning from mistakes and improving in about all aspects of life. I hope Zac gets better at coaching and the roster he is building falls into place and he becomes a SB coach. But he will have to show it this season or its onto someone else. I dont think its impossible. I like his idea to change the culture and we have been very active in 2 FA's now and had 2 good drafts in a row. It doesnt happen overnight. Let's hope it all comes together this season.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2021, 09:38 AM)PDub80 Wrote: BTW, I was done with Marvin after the 2007 season after watching him struggle to get better or progress with a team who was in their absolute prime. Marvin Lewis had peaked by the end of 2007 and we saw his issues with mental preparedness and fortitude by then (proceedural problems and dead ball penalties). Letting a dumpy Browns team compete with them, collapses late in the season when the games mattered to make the playoffs, massive in-game leads vanished, repeatedly having the same issues on the field (missed/poor tackling was an issue for many seasons), etc etc. These issues plagued Marvin throughout his tenure in Cincinnati over the next 10+ years. I have no problem calling a spade a spade. I just don't think Zac Taylor's been given the proper amount of time to grow into the position - which we all should have known was going to take time.

Not sure where you are coming up with many of these claims.

For example you talk about "collapse late in season when games mattered to make playoffs".  That '07 team was decimated by injury yet they finished 5-3, and I don't recall any season after that when we collapsed and lost key games late in the season causing us to miss playoffs.

And Marvin absolutely dominated the Browns head-to-head.

You talk about blowing leads but over the next 8 years after that '07 season the Bengals won .696% of the games where they held a lead which was 8th best in the league.

You complain about "missed/poor tackling" but the Bengals allowed the 5th fewest yards in the league from '08-'15.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2021, 01:52 AM)Brandon00151 Wrote: I think anything short of playoffs should get him fired.

Except since it's Mike Brown, it's probably just 6-7 wins to keep his job.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor has had his share of uphill battles trying to put together a winning formula.It’s not all his fault for the lack of success he’s had so far.But,the injuries to this team have just been devastating.He’s a smart guy,and he can learn,,,unfortunately through trial and error.I agree he was thrown into a job that he obviously wasn’t ready for.(Blame Mike Brown for that).He wasn’t about to turn down the opportunity of a lifetime,while getting paid millions.He now has an Elite Quarterback,and Elite Wide Receivers,along with an improved Offensive Line.Let’s see what he can do with it.For all we know,he just might make us proud.I hope he succeeds.Will be fun to watch.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 08:52 PM)GodFather Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/former-nfl-executive-zac-taylor-not-qualified-to-be-head-coach-of-the-bengals

Lombardi not holding back, imagine what he would say about clueless Lou?

Bad hire two years ago, bad hire now. Who hires an entire coaching staff with almost no experience doing what you are hiring them to do? Still shaking my head two years later. Taylor could've had Jack DelRio as his DC but he was a bad fit for the culture. 
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 12:16 AM)bengalfreak Wrote: Bad hire two years ago, bad hire now. Who hires an entire coaching staff with almost no experience doing what you are hiring them to do? Still shaking my head two years later. Taylor could've had Jack DelRio as his DC but he was a bad fit for the culture. 

They never released their salary, must be one of the lowest in the NFL for a head coach, by a lot perhaps too. who knows.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 12:20 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: They never released their salary, must be one of the lowest in the NFL for a head coach, by a lot perhaps too. who knows.

They always say follow the money.  Head Coach is one of the last places Mike Brown can still cut corners.  I would bet my left nut that ZT is the lowest paid coach in the NFL.  Better give Mikey Boy a nice discount to cut your teeth in the NFL.  Just ask Marvin.  I'd love to know what he was paid on that first contract.

To get a proven coach to come to Cincinnati would have cost a premium and MB just isn't going to pay that price.  If ZT can't ride Burrow to another extension, he really should just go back to college coaching.  It's already looking pretty shaky when all he does to protect JB is to bring in Reiff and draft Carman.  Not exactly going all out, is it?
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2021, 11:15 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Zac Taylor has had his share of uphill battles trying to put together a winning formula. It’s not all his fault for the lack of success he’s had so far.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
This whole thread sounds like Cleveland back in 1995, when they fired a "in over his head" coach named Bill...
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2021, 10:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Except since it's Mike Brown, it's probably just 6-7 wins to keep his job.

6 or 7? I would say just breathing is enough to keep his job another year for Brown Ninja
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 12:30 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: It's already looking pretty shaky when all he does to protect JB is to bring in Reiff and draft Carman.  Not exactly going all out, is it?

Shhh you might awaken the “we don’t need an o-line with all these pass catchers” crowd

The ones that think Frank Pollack will solve everything
Reply/Quote
I think hiring Taylor says more about the inept people who picked him than it says about taylor

Why would any sane franchise trust a Joe Burrow to a taylor

They wasted how many years keeping Marvin after the Steeler playoff meltdown and now will waste 3 years or more of Joe burrow opportunity

I hope I’m wrong but I doubt it
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 09:06 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Whether there's merit to the notion or not, Lombardi is an idiot, a loser and has arguably as bad a track record as Zac, if not worse.

And he's a Sewell guy, so that's definitely skewing it.

Again, not saying there isn't merit, but look at who's making the comment; If Belicheck or Walsh said it, then I'd listen.

i mean anyone with a set of eyeballs knows that so far taylor is not a NFL caliber coach.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 01:05 AM)sandwedge Wrote: This whole thread sounds like Cleveland back in 1995, when they fired a "in over his head" coach named Bill...

Dude lets not compare Zach who hasnt been able to coach his way out of a wet paper bag to the coach with the most hardware of the modern era.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 01:05 AM)sandwedge Wrote: This whole thread sounds like Cleveland back in 1995, when they fired a "in over his head" coach named Bill...

are you really going to compare Zac Taylor to Bill Belichick? 

Back in 1995, when Belichick was hired by the Cleveland Browns as head coach, after he spent 5 seasons as the defensive coordinator of the NY Giants.  

The Giants won the Super XXi and XXV with Belichick as the defensive coordinator.  

However, even trying to compare Zac Taylor, who at his highest level was offensive coordinator at the University of Cincinnati where he was a failure and Belichick is just laughable.  

I want some of whatever you're smoking bro! just sayin  Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 10:10 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Dude lets not compare Zach who hasnt been able to coach his way out of a wet paper bag to the coach with the most hardware of the modern era.

LMAO, I know someone would say that! The fact still remains Cleveland wanted rid of him after 4 losing seasons,  and 1 winning season. We don't know how this ends for Zac, so chill.
Reply/Quote