Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former dean for for-profit, fraud filled college to head DOJ college fraud unit
(08-31-2017, 01:11 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You shouldn't need a Union for a raise.  You should be able to negotiate with he district yourself or sho your services.    I would bust every teachers union in the country.   And this is coming from someone who was part of the teachers union for years.  

Seems the community can elect new school board members if they do not like the super giving her staff a raise.

It took the union seeking a state audit to discover what she was doing. Considering it's a step and level based system, you can't really negotiate that on your own, they apply it across the board. I'm not sure what your argument against the union is other than you don't like it.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-31-2017, 01:27 PM)Benton Wrote: They did. States came up with common core standards. Then lawmakers got involved who didn't understand and said the Feds were to blame and states needed more control.

State lawmakers are doing what they can to misinform the public to maintain control at the state level and in congress. People. It understanding common core is a reflection of lawmaker misinformation.

Bad PR and uneducated parents not understanding something. It's a shame that the public and partisan politics has so much control over education. It holds back education. 

Of course, the funny thing is that now DeVos is pushing the same strategy for school choice. They're going to give states funding to adopt the programs. 

(08-31-2017, 01:27 PM)Benton Wrote: They did. States came up with common core standards. Then lawmakers got involved who didn't understand and said the Feds were to blame and states needed more control.

State lawmakers are doing what they can to misinform the public to maintain control at the state level and in congress. People. It understanding common core is a reflection of lawmaker misinformation.

Common core is terrible. My daughters bring home this homework and it's a joke. Every math problem is now also an art project.

One evening I will take a photo of this homework.
(08-31-2017, 01:40 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It took the union seeking a state audit to discover what she was doing. Considering it's a step and level based system, you can't really negotiate that on your own, they apply it across the board. I'm not sure what your argument against the union is other than you don't like it.

There wouldn't be a step based pay system if you negotiated yourself. You would negotiate for you and everything would be on the table. Sign a 3 year contract then negotiate again when it's about up. It's a win win because you can bring up issues that are hurting your ability to teach and the school can address bad teachers by not renewing them.

Why does the union get to decide for you what you make every year you teach. No matter how successful or terrible you are as a teacher?
(08-31-2017, 02:31 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Common core is terrible.  My daughters bring home this homework and it's a joke.  Every math problem is now also an art project.  

[Image: 6ed73246-8f57-40df-9b4c-ac3996a3bd0a.jpg]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-31-2017, 01:11 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You shouldn't need a Union for a raise.  You should be able to negotiate with he district yourself or sho your services.    I would bust every teachers union in the country.   And this is coming from someone who was part of the teachers union for years.  

Seems the community can elect new school board members if they do not like the super giving her staff a raise.

Employee: I need a raise or I quit.
Employer: There's 500 applications for your job. 

I agree unions should not be needed. Unfortunately,  if employees don't take up for employees, employers have no obligation to compensate them equitable to their contribution.
(08-31-2017, 12:09 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You can easily elect new reps if you do not like what your state is doing.

NO, no you cannot.  Just look at Steve King.  NOBODY in their right mind would vote for this assclown, yet he still has a job. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(08-31-2017, 03:04 PM)Benton Wrote: Employee: I need a raise or I quit.
Employer: There's 500 applications for your job. 

I agree unions should not be needed. Unfortunately,  if employees don't take up for employees, employers have no obligation to compensate them equitable to their contribution.

Public employees do not need a union.

There are plenty of criminally underpaid teachers. They are underpaid because the union is protecting the ones who are just cruising, showing movies, etc.
(08-31-2017, 02:31 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Common core is terrible.  My daughters bring home this homework and it's a joke.  Every math problem is now also an art project.  

I don't understand most of what my daughter brings home in math. But she's been doing algebra for a couple years now and — according to the district (one of the only Blue Ribbon elementaries in the state) — she's doing math at a middle school level. My son (a high school junior) started last year on the stuff she's doing now.

It's crazy, but it works. In a couple years, she'll be doing math that I did in college. 

I used to complain along with the rest of the parents. Now I just shut up and let teachers teach. I don't care if I don't understand as long as she's getting results. And the results have been phenomenal. People fear what they don't understand. Which, unfortunately, gets in the way of people who know what they're doing.
(08-31-2017, 01:14 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: State control means you can elect new people to run your state if you are not happy. The people in charge should be the people closest to the public.

I have been in a public employee union for years before. I know what they are all about...

Gerrymandering is fun.

(08-31-2017, 03:09 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Public employees do not need a union.

There are plenty of criminally underpaid teachers. They are underpaid because the union is protecting the ones who are just cruising, showing movies, etc.

So what is the reason for the undercompensated public employees in Virginia that have no union?
(08-31-2017, 12:09 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You can easily elect new reps if you do not like what your state is doing.

How is your easy solution working to fix the problem in Kansas?
(08-31-2017, 01:08 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: More people coming to a state would raise the tax base.

I just think that each state needs to have their fingers in education. And if people do not like their level of education they can vote in new reps who will push education.

That has always been the case and yet people keep complaining about education. Empty platitudes aren't going to fix anything.
(08-31-2017, 02:33 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: There wouldn't be a step based pay system if you negotiated yourself.  You would negotiate for you and everything would be on the table.   Sign a 3 year contract then negotiate again when it's about up.   It's a win win because you can bring up issues that are hurting your ability to teach and the school can address bad teachers by not renewing them.

Why does the union get to decide for you what you make every year you teach.   No matter how successful or terrible you are as a teacher?

In that case I would be working as a contractor not as a government employee, which would make things very different. With regards to performance determining pay, I don't teach all AP. I teach at risk students and those with disabilities. My measure of success is far different than the all AP teacher. My teaching style is also far different. It's hard to score a teacher, yet we just kind of know what good teaching looks like and what bad teaching looks like. I would much rather my job not be kissing ass so that an arbitrary scale to score my an determine my pay worked in my favor. I'd rather just teach. 

(08-31-2017, 03:11 PM)Benton Wrote: I don't understand most of what my daughter brings home in math. But she's been doing algebra for a couple years now and — according to the district (one of the only Blue Ribbon elementaries in the state) — she's doing math at a middle school level. My son (a high school junior) started last year on the stuff she's doing now.

It's crazy, but it works. In a couple years, she'll be doing math that I did in college. 

I used to complain along with the rest of the parents. Now I just shut up and let teachers teach. I don't care if I don't understand as long as she's getting results. And the results have been phenomenal. People fear what they don't understand. Which, unfortunately, gets in the way of people who know what they're doing.

If you read the standards, it's good stuff. It makes sense.

Most parents learned rote memorization, even if it was a struggle. The how and what is there, but not the why. Common core focuses on the "why does this make sense?" of math. It teaches kids concepts that those of us in AP math classes just kind of picked up on our own.  It's like "48+48=". Well, I could add 8 and 8, get 16, and then add 40 and 40 to 16. I have 96 now. Or I could use new methods and round 48 to 50. I know 50+50 is 100 and 100-4 is 96. I then apply to to larger and larger numbers and I am more easily adding big numbers in my head. 

Early on, sites like Breitbart filled the web with mischaracterizations of common core, giving birth to a bloc of parents who just hated it because it was different and big government. There'd be a lesson that aligns to it for texts about communism or gay people and all the sudden the curriculum pushes communism and the "gay agenda" on people. 

(08-31-2017, 02:31 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Common core is terrible. My daughters bring home this homework and it's a joke. Every math problem is now also an art project.

I know it's hard to keep your back story straight, but you're breaking character again.

(06-07-2016, 07:23 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It just depends on where parents put their child's education on the priority list.   Send them to public schools where they can get a crap shoot.   Or take the matter in their own hands to ensure its done right.    

(06-09-2016, 03:20 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: One on one instruction plus when your teacher has a vested interest in your success that is the reciepe for success.   

Those two factors alone make home schooling Better than public education.  Unless you think it's better to learn in a massive group wth a teacher who isn't vested in your success.   

Your "daughters" are home schooled, remember?

Isn't their education a priority? Arent you vested in their education?