Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fountain Pens
Anyone else use a fountain pen around here? Someone suggested it to me for note taking during lectures because not having to apply as much pressure allows for longer periods of writing without fatigue. So I picked up a three pack of Pilot Varsity pens. Now I carry a Lamy Al-Star around with me everywhere and use it for most of my writing. I was just curious if anyone else around here uses one and, if so, what pen(s) are you fond of?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 10:14 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Anyone else use a fountain pen around here? Someone suggested it to me for note taking during lectures because not having to apply as much pressure allows for longer periods of writing without fatigue. So I picked up a three pack of Pilot Varsity pens. Now I carry a Lamy Al-Star around with me everywhere and use it for most of my writing. I was just curious if anyone else around here uses one and, if so, what pen(s) are you fond of?

I have limited experience with them but don't like them. The recommendation makes sense, but I find the ink slow to dry so you are likely to end of with ink all over your hand and a smeared page unless you are a very deliberate person. Plus, maybe they have cartridges or something now, but my understanding was filling them back in the day was kind of an adventure. Do you load/reload the ink like in the old days, is there a disposable cartridge now, or do you just trash it when it runs out like a ball point?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 10:25 AM)xxlt Wrote: I have limited experience with them but don't like them. The recommendation makes sense, but I find the ink slow to dry so you are likely to end of with ink all over your hand and a smeared page unless you are a very deliberate person. Plus, maybe they have cartridges or something now, but my understanding was filling them back in the day was kind of an adventure. Do you load/reload the ink like in the old days, is there a disposable cartridge now, or do you just trash it when it runs out like a ball point?

The Varsity is a disposable pen, so trash it when it runs out. My Lamy takes cartridges, so it's just pull out the old one and pop in a new one. Very easy and mess free. You can get a converter which is more planet friendly and allows you to refill, but the ease of the cartridge works for me.

For note taking I haven't had any issue with the ink drying. A couple of times when signing papers at work there has been some that has ended up on the back of another page, but not often, and not much. I don't write slow and my handwriting can get very sloppy, hell, my signature is unreadable, but I'm guessing it would be the specific ink that would play a big factor there. The nib would also have a lot to do with it too, I suppose. a broader nib will lay out more ink with thicker lines. I tend to use a fine or an extra-fine for writing, though. A lefty would have more problems with it, though.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I use a computer
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 10:14 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Anyone else use a fountain pen around here? Someone suggested it to me for note taking during lectures because not having to apply as much pressure allows for longer periods of writing without fatigue. So I picked up a three pack of Pilot Varsity pens. Now I carry a Lamy Al-Star around with me everywhere and use it for most of my writing. I was just curious if anyone else around here uses one and, if so, what pen(s) are you fond of?

Nah I don't want ink shooting out of the top of my pen
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 01:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I use a computer

I do feel rather out of place with a bunch of students typing away while I write my notes, not even print, with a fountain pen, on paper.

(09-14-2016, 01:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Nah I don't want ink shooting out of the top of my pen

Not a problem with modern pens.

Reply/Quote
You're going backwards technologically. Next you'll switch to a feather pen.

:jk: If you like them, that's all that matters.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 03:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I do feel rather out of place with a bunch of students typing away while I write my notes, not even print, with a fountain pen, on paper.

Not a problem with modern pens.
What do the other students think of your powdered wig?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 04:04 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: You're going backwards technologically. Next you'll switch to a feather pen.

:jk: If you like them, that's all that matters.

I could write with a dip pen easily, but they just aren't practical. Maybe when I get a house and have one of those big desks in my home office I will keep an ink well and some dip pens, including a quill. LOL

(09-14-2016, 06:00 PM)jason Wrote: What do the other students think of your powdered wig?

I'm already the old guy in the room. I'm in an intro poli sci course, and while talking about post-Soviet Russia the professor mentioned non of the students were alive during the days of the USSR. Then he looked at me and there was that moment of solidarity as we both felt old.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 08:56 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I could write with a dip pen easily, but they just aren't practical. Maybe when I get a house and have one of those big desks in my home office I will keep an ink well and some dip pens, including a quill.

I'm already the old guy in the room. I'm in an intro poli sci course, and while talking about post-Soviet Russia the professor mentioned non of the students were alive during the days of the USSR. Then he looked at me and there was that moment of solidarity as we both felt old.
By the time I finished my bachelor's I was 28... I can relate to the feeling.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 01:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Nah I don't want ink shooting out of the top of my pen

That's what she said.
Reply/Quote

I like fountain pens, and I write a lot. But I don't use them much anymore because I have ruined to many clothes with accidents.

On a historical note, I remember my father used to have bottles of blue and blank ink. Back in those days, before ink cartridges, pens had a little lever on the side operated to suck ink into the pen.

As far as writing without fatigue--gel pens seem require less pressure than cheap ball points. I favor Pilots.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 10:25 AM)xxlt Wrote: I have limited experience with them but don't like them. The recommendation makes sense, but I find the ink slow to dry so you are likely to end of with ink all over your hand and a smeared page unless you are a very deliberate person. Plus, maybe they have cartridges or something now, but my understanding was filling them back in the day was kind of an adventure. Do you load/reload the ink like in the old days, is there a disposable cartridge now, or do you just trash it when it runs out like a ball point?

That was always my problem with them.

Then again, I have that with virtually every pen or pencil as I am a lefty.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 09:26 PM)jason Wrote: By the time I finished my bachelor's I was 28... I can relate to the feeling.

I have an accounting degree from a for-profit school. I work in higher ed at a state university now and can get free classes, but because of the accreditation of for-profits being different I can't do my masters, I have to start all over. So I am getting a degree in public administration.

Reply/Quote
I use a black Lamy safari with the ink converter, using various noodlers inks.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 10:14 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: That was always my problem with them.

Then again, I have that with virtually every pen or pencil as I am a lefty.

Try Signo Uniball pens. (I know - uniball, right?)

The ink in the pens was developed by Frank Abagnale - the guy played by DiCaprio in the movie Catch Me If You Can - and it is supposed to make it more difficult to alter checks. It also dries very quickly. I have never had ink on the side of my hand or fingers when using one of those, and had those problems with most other brands. 
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 09:53 PM)Beaker Wrote: That's what she said.

if your girl shoots ink out of pen.... 

She might not really be a lady.
Reply/Quote
Anyone ever draw with a fountain pen ?
I always thought of trying one.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 10:07 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Anyone ever draw with a fountain pen ?

when I was in art school I used a fountain pen. That's what you use. Outside of that, no, I'm a lefty.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 10:07 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Anyone ever draw with a fountain pen ?

Here is a link to a place where you can find some that aren't that expensive. They have categorized some good ones for sketching: http://www.gouletpens.com/fountain-pens-for-sketching/c/426

Reply/Quote