Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Franchise's Biggest Blunders
First I apologize for the negative tone of the thread; however, I thought it would be interesting to get folk's thoughts. Please list one or more of what you consider the biggest blunder(s) in franchise history. Once we get a list of 10 or so we'll have a poll. As everyone likes a poll.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not giving Bill Walsh the HC job.

Reply/Quote
Paul Brown giving control to Mike Brown
Not making Walsh the Head Couch
Keeping Marvin Lewis after his first, second and third chance

Those are mine and it all has to do with the Front Office, who'd a thunk it?
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2017, 11:25 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Paul Brown giving control to Mike Brown
Not making Walsh the Head Couch
Keeping Marvin Lewis after his first, second and third chance

Those are mine and it all has to do with the Front Office, who'd a thunk it?

I feel they all would/should have to do with FO. 

A couple more I'll throw out:

Signed an injured Antonio Bryant

Choosing Livings over Mathis
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Dalton playing LB for one play in 2015.

People forget that the 2015 Bengals were a Super bowl caliber team for 12 weeks in 2015 and Dalton was having a MVP caliber season. I know it might not fit the narrative of this thread. But that one play was a colossal blunder in hindsight
Reply/Quote
Lewis Billups' dropped interception in the '88 SB. Literally, that one blunder cost the franchise a world championship and kept the franchise from getting a degree of legitimacy that can never be taken from them. Instead, with the struggles that came after, we became easy targets to be the NFL's whipping boys in the media.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2017, 11:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not giving Bill Walsh the HC job.

this hands down...
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Passing on 9 draft picks to get akili smith
Bill "tiger" johnson
Lewis billups dropping the pass

And what started it all

Injuring bo jackson
Reply/Quote
Not signing Warren Sapp in 2004.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
1. Passing on Saints offer to take Akili Smith
2. Moving up to take Ki-Jana Carter instead of Tony Boselli.
3. Klingler over Troy Vincent
4. Dave Shula
Reply/Quote
Walsh was the blunder of all blunders. It hurts because you can't blame it on Mikey. It took place under the watch of one of the greatest football men of all time and it cost this franchise hugely. Not only did Paul Brown misjudge Wlash, but he got the results of his error smeared in his face.

It may be petty, but I feel like not being active in free agency in the youth of the Dalton-Green era was a big screwup. They built a team with many capable pieces, had a nice staff, and showed the ability to make the playoffs consistently. Most of these pieces, the important ones i.e. AJ and Andy were playing on affordable rookie deals. They had cap room for days. They knew a time would come when they'd have to shell out for the young guys. Why didn't they strike when the iron was hot? Pick up a Dansby when he still had tread on the tires. Be aggressive like Denver was to win now. Oh well.
Reply/Quote
Paul Brown for having the epitome of wasted spooge for a supposed son!!!

Reply/Quote
Hmm...most of the big ones have already been mentioned. I'll try to throw on a few more, in no particular order.

1. Keeping Hall over JJo. I guess this didn't kill us, but JJo clearly was the healthier and better of the 2 after they made their choice.
2. Trading back and missing out on Stephen Jackson
3. Hiring Marvin over Coughlin
4. Taking Gio over LeVeon Bell (hurt us and helped Steelers)

I'll try to think of a few more later.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
A lot of coaching decisions are tempting... no Walsh, no Wyche, keeping Lewis which squandered having a SB-talent team.

I still can't imagine the answer being anything but the refusal to trade with the Saints being the answer, though. Their entire set of 1999 picks, their 1st round pick in 2000 and 2001, and their 2nd round pick in 2002.

Turned down three 1st round picks, and two 2nd round picks (plus more) in order to draft Akili Smith. Is there anything worse than that? The holocaust.... maybe. Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 01:05 AM)Gohards Wrote: Passing on 9 draft picks to get akili smith

Winner!
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 02:48 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hmm...most of the big ones have already been mentioned. I'll try to throw on a few more, in no particular order.

1. Keeping Hall over JJo. I guess this didn't kill us, but JJo clearly was the healthier and better of the 2 after they made their choice.
2. Trading back and missing out on Stephen Jackson
3. Hiring Marvin over Coughlin
4. Taking Gio over LeVeon Bell (hurt us and helped Steelers)

I'll try to think of a few more later.

Great choices!

I'd go with not hiring a GM.

Not signing that 1 impact free agent to push the franchise over the top.

Having one of the smallest, if not the smallest scouting departments in the NFL.
Reply/Quote

The original Paul Brown stadium turf. Eighty pound ballerinas could make huge divots in it. :paul:

No Ring of Honor at PBS. Cry

Keeping the same offensive line coach since the Bush Administration. The first Bush Administration. Hilarious

Marvin Lewis over Tom Coughlin. Nervous

Reply/Quote
The ten biggest Bengal blunders in no particular order:

Drafting Akili Smith

Retaining Brad St Louis for too long

Retaining Mike Nugent for too long

Retaining Marvin Lewis for WAY too long and letting every coordinator (including Vance Joseph) that is now head coaching elsewhere get away

Pissing off Corey Dillon so much he demanded a trade

Pissing off Carson Palmer so much he demanded a trade

Letting Bill Walsh get away

The Warren Sapp debacle

Paul Alexander's countless defense and praise of God awful offensive linemen

Lewis Billups drop, krumrie's leg, Stanley Wilson coking out... That entire super bowl was just bad juju all around. At least they somehow kept it close
Reply/Quote
Drafting Cedric Ogbuehi....too soon?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 12:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Drafting Cedric Ogbuehi....too soon?

Yes. 

Reply/Quote