Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Francis Scott Key Bridge collapsed in Baltimore
A tanker has destroyed the entirety of the bridge of Baltimore.

All my sympathy to the people involved. This is crazy.

Hope the guys from Maryland here are OK.

[Image: GJlMC6GXoAAINVy?format=jpg&name=small]

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
Oh damn.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hopefully not to many people were crossing the Bridge at that hour of the mourning...

Cant image if this had happened during rush hour
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 08:53 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Hopefully not to many people were crossing the Bridge at that hour of the mourning...

Cant image if this had happened during rush hour

They said they are looking for about 7 autos.  

There were road workers on the bridge when it was struck but they haven't said how many

1 person was recovered completely uninjured.  1 was recovered in critical condition.  No injuries on the tanker that hit the bridge.  The tanker, which was being piloted by a local harbor pilot, may have experienced electrical problems before the collision

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Very early to know what happened. I've heard the electrical issue also. Perhaps the ship's lights went out, and had lost power.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 09:55 AM)pally Wrote: They said they are looking for about 7 autos.  

There were road workers on the bridge when it was struck but they haven't said how many

1 person was recovered completely uninjured.  1 was recovered in critical condition.  No injuries on the tanker that hit the bridge.  The tanker, which was being piloted by a local harbor pilot, may have experienced electrical problems before the collision

i watched a video and you could see the ship go dark 2x before it hit the bridge
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 10:12 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: i watched a video and you could see the ship go dark 2x before it hit the bridge

Yes, it looks like an unfortunate accident. A terrible one.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
It was a container ship that struck the bridge pillar. Terrible tragedy.
Reply/Quote
Oh man, sad day!
Reply/Quote
6 people are still missing. They are all part of the construction crew that was doing asphalt work. There was a Mayday call from the ship that allowed people enough time to close down the bridge of auto traffic unfortunately though there wasn't enough time for the construction guys who were in the middle of the bridge

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 11:09 AM)pally Wrote: 6 people are still missing.  They are all part of the construction crew that was doing asphalt work.  There was a Mayday call from the ship that allowed people enough time to close down the bridge of auto traffic unfortunately though there wasn't enough time for the construction guys who were in the middle of the bridge

Number up to 20. 

Reply/Quote
There is going to be 'port' consequences. Baltimore is the 11th largest port in the country. It does high volume in both autos and coal. The port is also used by Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Home Depot does a lot of business thru here also. We're talking months, if not a year, to get back to normal. That, of course, doesn't even include re-direction of land traffic.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 03:28 PM)Goalpost Wrote: There is going to be 'port' consequences.  Baltimore is the 11th largest port in the country.  It does high volume in both autos and coal.  The port is also used by Royal Caribbean and Carnival.  Home Depot does a lot of business thru here also.  We're talking months, if not a year, to get back to normal.  That, of course, doesn't even include re-direction of land traffic.

For sure. The financial/economic burden of this is tough to even imagine. It's no Ever Given in the Suez Canal, but the impact on commerce and transit will be astounding. 

Of course the immediate thought is deservedly on the missing and the dead, but this is going to have very long-lasting consequences. 
Reply/Quote
This seems in 2024 this should not happen.

My thoughts and prayers for all of the people impacted.

Sad day, this and a police officer in Queens shot and killed. The officer had a year old baby. Thoughts and prayers with his family as well.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 03:28 PM)Goalpost Wrote: There is going to be 'port' consequences.  Baltimore is the 11th largest port in the country.  It does high volume in both autos and coal.  The port is also used by Royal Caribbean and Carnival.  Home Depot does a lot of business thru here also.  We're talking months, if not a year, to get back to normal.  That, of course, doesn't even include re-direction of land traffic.

The port itself will be open far sooner than you think it will be.  The bridge, of course, will take far longer to replace.  But it is a matter of removing the debris in order to reopen the channel

Reply/Quote
So, the ship experienced power failures and put out distress calls. Fortunately, law enforcement on the bridge was able to prevent additional traffic from going onto the bridge, which prevented even further tragedy. This is going to have some major impacts on things for a long time.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I travel the bridge fairly often. Crossed it twice yesterday, was supposed to tomorrow and Thursday. I have sites all over that area. Travel will be very interesting for awhile. Very surreal for us in MD. As stated before, the economic impact will be huge. This waterway is our main shipping port, number nine in the entire world. People will not be able to work, period. A side of that bring had super massive warehouses ( Amazon, FedEx, etc. ) All HazMat trucks will have to circle around Baltimore.

Friend of the family lost their family member as part of the road crew ( I did not know them ). We lost six road workers due to a speeding car flipping into a work zone on the other side of the beltway last year. Just rough stuff. The Feds say they will rebuild the bridge. No idea how long it will take. I do know when there are impossible emergencies and they cut the red tape, work can be done quickly. Shall see about this
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Why the **** is Biden offering to pay to replace the bridge? Insurance companies aren’t even liable anymore?
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 07:53 PM)basballguy Wrote: Why the **** is Biden offering to pay to replace the bridge?  Insurance companies aren’t even liable anymore?

You think they'll pay it tomorrow ? 

I'm pretty sure the new bridge has to start as soon as possible and not when lawyers will stop to delay this thing to infinite and beyond. 

Showing a little solidarity with your fellow citizens is that unpleasant ?

Actually, this is a decent use of taxpayers money if you ask me.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 08:01 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: You think they'll pay it tomorrow ? 

I'm pretty sure the new bridge has to start as soon as possible and not when lawyers will stop to delay this thing to infinite and beyond. 

Showing a little solidarity with your fellow citizens is that unpleasant ?

Actually, this is a decent use of taxpayers money if you ask me.

I was going to say this. The insurance companies will likely reimburse the government once everything plays out, but for the time being there needs to be immediate action taken because this will have a huge impact on people nationwide. Welcome back to supply chain issues and rising prices.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote