Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frank Pollack interview on Bengals.com
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Meet-the-Coaches-Pollack-Lines-Up/a77ce3e7-b7fb-4df1-9b8f-78d3f5dd0ce7

Had some interesting parts in it. For example, he specifically said that while he wants players with a mean streak they also need to play smart. As he put it he should not have to be constantly beside a player for them to know what to do in a given situation.

What was also interesting was that every favorable comment about Ogbuehi and Bodine came from Hobson and not Pollack.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 03:45 PM)Joelist Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Meet-the-Coaches-Pollack-Lines-Up/a77ce3e7-b7fb-4df1-9b8f-78d3f5dd0ce7

Had some interesting parts in it. For example, he specifically said that while he wants players with a mean streak they also need to play smart. As he put it he should not have to be constantly beside a player for them to know what to do in a given situation.

What was also interesting was that every favorable comment about Ogbuehi and Bodine came from Hobson and not Pollack.

In the video, Pollack was specifically asked by Dan Hoard what he thought about Cedric Ogbuehi coming out of A&M.
He said, "I really liked his movement skills, his athleticism, he's got great length, he can bend, he can run. He's got all these great tools to develop and that's what really impressed me the most."

Not a damn thing about a mean streak though or playing smart though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Note that they said nothing about his play on the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 03:59 PM)Joelist Wrote: Note that they said nothing about his play on the Bengals.

Well I think that's because there were no good moments by Ogbuehi since becoming a Bengal lol
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Seems he likes Boling, and Westerman/Redmond.  

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 04:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: Seems he likes Boling, and Westerman/Redmond.  

Worth highlighting that at this time, Pollack isn't confident of Boling being pushed out to LT full-time.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 04:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: Seems he likes Boling, and Westerman/Redmond.  

If I was Pollack or in his position, I would already be Fired because I would have already been in Mike's office showing him the Mock Draft I just created in our Mock Draft's area of the Board.  Tongue

I would tell Mike we need an O-line overhaul right after signing my contract as the New O-line Coach.

Pollack may get brow beaten by the Front Office & certain local media types into making what is already on the roster work.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 04:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Worth highlighting that at this time, Pollack isn't confident of Boling being pushed out to LT full-time.

Yep, I noticed that too.  Maybe we get a Redmond/Boling/Westerman (not in order of position) middle of the line and Bodine takes a hike?

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 05:14 PM)depthchart Wrote: If I was Pollack or in his position, I would already be Fired because I would have already been in Mike's office showing him the Mock Draft I just created in our Mock Draft's area of the Board.  Tongue

I would tell Mike we need an O-line overhaul right after signing my contract as the New O-line Coach.

Pollack may get brow beaten by the Front Office & certain local media types into making what is already on the roster work.

Lemme get over there and check that mock out. :andy:

Reply/Quote
He seemed to be appropriately objective regarding what he's done so far. As for what he wants: smart, mean, and athletic all points to what we're hungry for. But he's got to get these guys on the field before he even begins to know what he really has, and how well they will respond to his way of doing things. I like what I hear from him so far.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 03:45 PM)Joelist Wrote: What was also interesting was that every favorable comment about Ogbuehi and Bodine came from Hobson and not Pollack.

Pollack said a lot of good things about Ogbuehi.
Reply/Quote
Boling was never going to play left tackle in 2018. Yes, I realize Paul Dehner Jr. and I floated that as an option in our 'offensive line overhaul' story - but that was because Clint wasn't opposed to it if asked.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 06:24 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Boling was never going to play left tackle in 2018. Yes, I realize Paul Dehner Jr. and I floated that as an option in our 'offensive line overhaul' story - but that was because Clint wasn't opposed to it if asked.

And that's the end of that lol.

Seriously, this is exactly the same as, "Play Whitworth at G."

Boling is a top 5 LG (he's proven it, regardless of what you guys think; 1 bad year doesn't detract from 1 rookie, 4 stud and 1 injured year{s}, period), why the hell would you move him?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2018, 01:00 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: And that's the end of that lol.

Seriously, this is exactly the same as, "Play Whitworth at G."

Boling is a top 5 LG (he's proven it, regardless of what you guys think; 1 bad year doesn't detract from 1 rookie, 4 stud and 1 injured year{s}, period), why the hell would you move him?

One reason, and one reason only......you have no one that can play LT as well as he showed.  They need to fix that.  Now that Whit os gone, Boling is my dog.  I am not concerned at all about Clint Boling, regardless of where he plays.

Reply/Quote
I'm sure Boling would love to move and make left tackle money, but I don't see the team doing that since he solidly locks down the left guard spot and they need him there to help out the center. As for what Pollack said about CO, I think it was more an indictment of PA than anything, saying he could not evaluate anything he did before he got here and started teaching him. Oh, and I kept waiting for him to say "I like tator tots.....mmmmmhhhhhmmmm.....
Reply/Quote
I could have done the interview myself and said we need big, mean, smart guys who can move mountains with their bare hands, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings and faster than a speeding bullet ..in other words, Chicken Man..the most fantastic crime fighter the world has ever known. https://youtu.be/KgMOOPxkYVk
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2018, 11:29 AM)Wyche Wrote: One reason, and one reason only......you have no one that can play LT as well as he showed.  They need to fix that.  Now that Whit os gone, Boling is my dog.  I am not concerned at all about Clint Boling, regardless of where he plays.

I get a little irritated at some people saying "There's no good LT in this draft! Just wait until next draft!"
Well, there haven't been many good LTs for a few years now. Like the past five drafts. That's why guys like Whit are still rocking in this league. There haven't been enough young guys coming in to supplant the aging guys.
You've got Taylor Lewan and Jake Matthews from 2014 leading the pack that are good LTs (rated low 80's by PFF).
After that, you have just solid middle-of-the-pack starters in Ronnie Stanley from 2016 and Eric Fisher from 2013 (rated low 70's by PFF).
Then it drops off more to the likes of Taylor Decker and Garrett Bolles for teetering that serviceable line (rated low 60's by PFF).
And last, you get into the Laremy Tunsil, Cam Robinson, Cedric Ogbuehi group of bad rated starters (so far at least).

If the Bengals keep waiting around for someone "worth" their pick and can't get a stud in FA, they'll be stuck with the same bottom-tier talent at LT for years.
They might just have to accept getting someone who is a middle-tier lower-ceiling, higher-floor guy for now at least to get at least serviceable performance because an elite LT that could be available when they pick might not come by for a long time given the infrequency of good OTs coming out of college.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2018, 02:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I get a little irritated at some people saying "There's no good LT in this draft! Just wait until next draft!"
Well, there haven't been many good LTs for a few years now. Like the past five drafts. That's why guys like Whit are still rocking in this league. There haven't been enough young guys coming in to supplant the aging guys.
You've got Taylor Lewan and Jake Matthews from 2014 leading the pack that are good LTs (rated low 80's by PFF).
After that, you have just solid middle-of-the-pack starters in Ronnie Stanley from 2016 and Eric Fisher from 2013 (rated low 70's by PFF).
Then it drops off more to the likes of Taylor Decker and Garrett Bolles for teetering that serviceable line (rated low 60's by PFF).
And last, you get into the Laremy Tunsil, Cam Robinson, Cedric Ogbuehi group of bad rated starters (so far at least).

If the Bengals keep waiting around for someone "worth" their pick and can't get a stud in FA, they'll be stuck with the same bottom-tier talent at LT for years.
They might just have to accept getting someone who is a middle-tier lower-ceiling, higher-floor guy for now at least to get at least serviceable performance because an elite LT that could be available when they pick might not come by for a long time given the infrequency of good OTs coming out of college.
I agree. I am hoping now that we have new line coach, we can grab one of these good linemen in the draft and make him very good. The interior lineman, look to be the cream of the crop, but you know how we value them.. As for OT, I think there are 4 or 5 really good ones, but none of them really standout over the others. Meaning, we could debate who is better than who and we wouldn't be right or wrong. 
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2018, 02:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I get a little irritated at some people saying "There's no good LT in this draft! Just wait until next draft!"

I hear ya man.....that's why I'm on board for spending some cash on Solder.  If not, draft one.  I was alluding to the sad that fact that our starting LG is the best LT on the team. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 03:45 PM)Joelist Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Meet-the-Coaches-Pollack-Lines-Up/a77ce3e7-b7fb-4df1-9b8f-78d3f5dd0ce7

The article was blah as usual from Hobspin.

The video was awesome. Pollack is so damn refreshing it is unbelievable. Smarts, nastiness, adjustments...

Just makes me smile. I really liked how he is going to go about working with a guy like Ogbuehi, start over fresh like he just
was that 1st round pick. Never know, i really didn't think even Pollack could get anything out of Og but i could see a coach like
this really bringing that freshness that could breed lots of excitement and he certainly seems like the type to get the best out
of his players.

Interesting talking about players tuning coaches out. Won't happen with him but wouldn't be surprised if that happened with
Paul Alexander. He was always a boring guy to listen to. Pollack is the exact opposite and will really push these guys to be
great i am sure.

Just need to get him a top FA and a top pick in this draft and i think he could really re-work this O-line into no longer being a
weakness. Still cannot believe we not only moved on from PA but got the best O-line coach out there available who is a
disciple of Bill Callahan!

This is the one pickup that really has me excited. Rock On
Reply/Quote