Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frank Pollack interview on Bengals.com
(02-18-2018, 11:13 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: While someone else might have liked him pre draft, do you honestly think with all of the tape on him now at the pro level anyone would give up more than a toaster for him? The only way a trade would get done is if PA convinced Jerry to pull the trigger and I don't see that happening.

You're underestimating the egos of NFL coaches and GM's. Many busts have been traded. I'm not saying we'd get much of value. Maybe a 5th round pick or another player that didn't work out (think - hopefully - a Reggie Nelson type or another tackle)...but busts usually get more than 1 shot. Heck, even Akili Smith got picked up by the Packers. The Raiders signed David Klingler. 

The Rams traded Jayson Smith for another bust tackle. Eugene Monroe was a bust in Jacksonville, and they traded him to Baltimore for 4th and 5th round picks. Levi Brown was traded for a conditional late round pick. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 04:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice post, all true. No need to cut Og, as Fred says give Pollack a chance to work with him before we cut him.

Og does have some rare skills and if he can gain enough muscle, get physical and nasty like Pollack wants from his Lineman
he might have some value to us. But you are correct it would be a giant mistake to have Og slated as the starting LT without
major, major improvement. Like different player improvement lol

Pollack can try to help with technique but it's asking a lot to changing his personality to play "mean".  It could happen, but in sorting the tackles Ced and Ross should be promised nothing.  On a good team, Andre is resigned as a 3rd tackle, if a project leaps him so be it and if they get beat out by a mid round prospect then fine. Anything short of that build for the tackles is asking too much from even Pollack.  
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 03:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You're underestimating the egos of NFL coaches and GM's. Many busts have been traded. I'm not saying we'd get much of value. Maybe a 5th round pick or another player that didn't work out (think - hopefully - a Reggie Nelson type or another tackle)...but busts usually get more than 1 shot. Heck, even Akili Smith got picked up by the Packers. The Raiders signed David Klingler. 

The Rams traded Jayson Smith for another bust tackle. Eugene Monroe was a bust in Jacksonville, and they traded him to Baltimore for 4th and 5th round picks. Levi Brown was traded for a conditional late round pick. 

Everyone agrees that he has great athletic ability.  So lots of coaches will be willing to take a shot at him for a low price.

Sometimes it works.  And I don't think it is always better coaching.  Sometimes it helps a lot just to have new teammates and coaches who support him.  A player can learn from his mistakes, but it can be hard to "start over" if everyone around him has given up on him.
Reply/Quote
I can tell by the way he dribbles out the same coach speak cliches I have heard a hndre times before that Coach Pollack is the second coming of Vince Lombardi.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 03:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Everyone agrees that he has great athletic ability.  So lots of coaches will be willing to take a shot at him for a low price.

Sometimes it works.  And I don't think it is always better coaching.  Sometimes it helps a lot just to have new teammates and coaches who support him.  A player can learn from his mistakes, but it can be hard to "start over" if everyone around him has given up on him.

Exactly. Sometimes a fresh start can do wonders. He could also just be a better fit somewhere else. That's why these busts usually get at least 1 more shot.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 04:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I can tell by the way he dribbles out the same coach speak cliches I have heard a hndre times before that Coach Pollack is the second coming of Vince Lombardi.

They all use it--the great and the bad and all the ones in between.  But hey, at least you're giving him the same chance you gave your Uncle Paul and not judging him by one interview.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 09:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Trying to get a little enthusiasm to where I hope the new coaching additions can help. A player 3yrs in I guess could learn a different method from a different coach which makes them successful. Good Lord, what they have had for coaching thus-far has been ridiculously horrible. So here's to hanging my hat on the new coaching staff. We know how horrible it's been with these turds up until now. Maybe they have been wrongly coached? I might be resting my hat (figure of speech, I don't even wear a friggin hat, lol...) on a dandelion of hope, but? There's still a possibility, I think? Hell I don't know! Screw this! I wanna break stuff and listen to the nookie! 

Cool

Coaching is by far the biggest problem with this team.

Getting a coach like Pollack to coach up the biggest weakness on the team is huge.

I cannot stress this enough. Pollack coached the best O-line in football and is a disciple of Bill Callahan the best O-line coach in the NFL
besides maybe Scarnecchia on the Patriots. This hire alone makes me feel optimistic even with the Merv still here. If we can run the ball well
it takes away Merv's terrible 2nd half conservative approach that has ruined us.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 03:56 PM)phil413 Wrote: Pollack can try to help with technique but it's asking a lot to changing his personality to play "mean".  It could happen, but in sorting the tackles Ced and Ross should be promised nothing.  On a good team, Andre is resigned as a 3rd tackle, if a project leaps him so be it and if they get beat out by a mid round prospect then fine. Anything short of that build for the tackles is asking too much from even Pollack.  

Yeah, some people just don't have that WANT to be great and Og might be that type of people.

But who knows after the coach he had previous.

Sounds night and day from PA when Pollack talks. He looks to be the type that be mean sumbitch.
Reply/Quote