Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frank Ragnow
This is Drew Boylhart's (The Huddle Report) recent assessment of Frank Ragnow.   

Drew is not always on the mark (in fact he's made some really inaccurate prognostications), but he is normally a good assessor of O line and D line talent.   He tends to be less accurate about linebackers (he was a BIG Dontay Moch fan).  I recommend checking out Huddle's "Talent Board" - Boylhart's primary contribution to the site.   He rates players according to his assessment of their talent versus where he thinks they'll go.

Here is what he says about Frank Ragnow, and it meshes with what little I have seen on film.   I did not like Frank nearly as much at guard, but I loved his ability to get out and make sustaining blocks on the 2nd level and his ability to handle stunts, the latter being one of the significant weaknesses I think  Bodine had.  And he's a big guy who all the draftniks characterize as being smart - one of my primary desires in prospective players.

Anyway here is the "Strengths" Boylhard listed.   I've posted the link below:

"Frank reminds me a lot of former Bills center Eric Woods. He is a powerful and smart run blocker with good overall athleticism to play in any style of offensive blocking scheme. He has repetitions at both the center and the right guard positions and has played at a very high level at both of those positions. He does a solid job when pass blocking making all the snaps and getting out of his stance with surprising quickness. Frank is very adept at picking up stunts when pass blocking and might be one of the best centers at making combo blocks and blocking on the second level because of his understanding and feel for timing and angels. He is big, strong, and athletic enough to be used on sweeps and screens and does a good job blocking in open space. Frank plays his position with good balance when run blocking and pass blocking and that allows him to play with excellent techniques. There aren’t very many centers in any draft that have the size, strength overall athletic talent and that play the position with the balance and techniques that Frank has. The fact that he can play center or guard at a high level makes him a top interior offensive lineman in this draft."

Many of you know more about football, particularly offensive line play than I do.   I'd be interested in your thoughts.

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/archive/2018profiles/Frank.Ragnow.htm
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 12:44 PM)3wt Wrote: This is Drew Boylhart's (The Huddle Report) recent assessment of Frank Ragnow.   

Drew is not always on the mark (in fact he's made some really inaccurate prognostications), but he is normally a good assessor of O line and D line talent.   He tends to be less accurate about linebackers (he was a BIG Dontay Moch fan).  I recommend checking out Huddle's "Talent Board" - Boylhart's primary contribution to the site.   He rates players according to his assessment of their talent versus where he thinks they'll go.

Here is what he says about Frank Ragnow, and it meshes with what little I have seen on film.   I did not like Frank nearly as much at guard, but I loved his ability to get out and make sustaining blocks on the 2nd level and his ability to handle stunts, the latter being one of the significant weaknesses I think  Bodine had.  And he's a big guy who all the draftniks characterize as being smart - one of my primary desires in prospective players.

Anyway here is the "Strengths" Boylhard listed.   I've posted the link below:

"Frank reminds me a lot of former Bills center Eric Woods. He is a powerful and smart run blocker with good overall athleticism to play in any style of offensive blocking scheme. He has repetitions at both the center and the right guard positions and has played at a very high level at both of those positions. He does a solid job when pass blocking making all the snaps and getting out of his stance with surprising quickness. Frank is very adept at picking up stunts when pass blocking and might be one of the best centers at making combo blocks and blocking on the second level because of his understanding and feel for timing and angels. He is big, strong, and athletic enough to be used on sweeps and screens and does a good job blocking in open space. Frank plays his position with good balance when run blocking and pass blocking and that allows him to play with excellent techniques. There aren’t very many centers in any draft that have the size, strength overall athletic talent and that play the position with the balance and techniques that Frank has. The fact that he can play center or guard at a high level makes him a top interior offensive lineman in this draft."

Many of you know more about football, particularly offensive line play than I do.   I'd be interested in your thoughts.

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/archive/2018profiles/Frank.Ragnow.htm

I consider Ragnow the third-best C but I don't know if there's even much of a drop in talent between him, Price, and Daniels.
If Price and Daniels are gone at 46, I take him at 46.
I don't gamble that he'll be available in the third round.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Completely agree with his analysis of Ragnow. Just what we need honestly. As far as talent i think he might be a little behind
Price and Daniels but overall i like him better for us than Daniels and i like that he should be ready to go come Training Camp
unlike Price after his injury. Price or Ragnow pretty please and i agree with Ocho, take one of them at 46 don't gamble hoping
one of them fall to the 3rd.

I think Daniels will be the first Center taken anyways and either Price or Ragnow will be there at 46, but don't risk it and wait.
Reply/Quote
Frank Ragnow was hands down the best Center in college football until his injury.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Price, Daniels, or Ragnow is fine with me if we are waiting until 2nd round to see who falls.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 02:06 PM)Synric Wrote: Frank Ragnow was hands down the best Center in college football until his injury.
What injury did he have?
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 04:01 PM)sandwedge Wrote: What injury did he have?

Severe high ankle sprain that had to be surgically repaired. He missed the final 5 games and all of the offseason so far...He could work out at his Pro Day I think is on the 26 or 27th.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Of the three, I think I like Ragnow the most as far as value and where he'll be drafted at compared to the other two. I know this would be sacrilege, but I wouldn't mind trading down again and going from 21 and getting a 2nd and 3rd possibly. Seems like those are the places that the value talent lies.
Reply/Quote
If that ain't a football name, I don't know what is.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 04:29 PM)Synric Wrote: Severe high ankle sprain that had to be surgically repaired. He missed the final 5 games and all of the offseason so far...He could work out at his Pro Day I think is on the 26 or 27th.

Thanks for this Synric.  I was not aware.   And if you are aware obviously teams will be.   So there is the off chance that he may even go before 46.  

I don't know what the recovery curve is for high ankle sprains, or the long term impact on player's abilities.   But I would assume the likelihood of a full recovery is pretty high, making him a very desirable commodity for teams - especially those with a lot of picks (and high picks) in the 2nd round.

For what it's worth, Boylhart rates him the best of the drafts centers, and rates Daniels a 3rd rounder.   Boylhart is an unusual guy who sometimes has very unorthodox views.    Sometimes he is way off.  But sometimes they are spot on.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 04:52 PM)McC Wrote: If that ain't a football name, I don't know what is.

Sounds like a Scandinavian name.   Watch him go to the Vikings...
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 10:51 AM)3wt Wrote: Sounds like a Scandinavian name.   Watch him go to the Vikings...

Makes me think of Ragnar Lothbrok.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 01:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Completely agree with his analysis of Ragnow. Just what we need honestly. As far as talent i think he might be a little behind
Price and Daniels but overall i like him better for us than Daniels and i like that he should be ready to go come Training Camp
unlike Price after his injury. Price or Ragnow pretty please and i agree with Ocho, take one of them at 46 don't gamble hoping
one of them fall to the 3rd.

I think Daniels will be the first Center taken anyways and either Price or Ragnow will be there at 46, but don't risk it and wait.

Price will be ready by training camp.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 01:30 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Price will be ready by training camp.

Good to know, all for him or Ragnow at 21, let alone 46...
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 11:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Makes me think of Ragnar Lothbrok.

That was my thinking as well.   I want that guy on my defense - with weapons in hand. - Lothbrok I mean
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 03:02 PM)3wt Wrote: That was my thinking as well.   I want that guy on my defense - with weapons in hand. - Lothbrok I mean

Same here lmao! Dude is always thinking.

Patience man, patience. Smirk

Ragnar better come back from the dead and we better Draft Ragnow is what i am talkin about. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 10:51 AM)3wt Wrote: Sounds like a Scandinavian name.   Watch him go to the Vikings...

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 01:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I consider Ragnow the third-best C but I don't know if there's even much of a drop in talent between him, Price, and Daniels.
If Price and Daniels are gone at 46, I take him at 46.
I don't gamble that he'll be available in the third round.
pick a Center at 46....
eny-meny-miny-mo.....

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 09:55 PM)Steve Wrote: pick a Center at 46....
eny-meny-miny-mo.....

Agreed. There haven't been two centers let alone three who have been picked in the top 45 since at least this decade.
Plus, I don't see a huge difference in talent between Daniels, Price, and Ragnow. All would be great options.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 09:32 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Agreed. There haven't been two centers let alone three who have been picked in the top 45 since at least this decade.
Plus, I don't see a huge difference in talent between Daniels, Price, and Ragnow. All would be great options.

People keep pointing out that there haven't been 2 centers taken in the top 45 in a long time.

Well, there hasn't been 2-3 centers that are thought of as 1st round (Price, Daniels) and 2nd round talent (Ragnow) in quite some time.

There are several teams that could use a center - Baltimore, Buffalo, Miami, Washington etc.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Price and Daniels both go in round 1.  IF the Bengals don't take a center in round 1, Ragnow will go at 45 with a team trading up to get him.  EVERYONE knows that the Bengals need a starting caliber center.  Hell, I wouldn't be shocked to see a team trade up to 20 to take one in front of us.
Reply/Quote