Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Franklin Delano Roosevelt...
Famously said, at his first inauguration :   ... " Let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. "

Folks, fellow Bengal fans , let me tell you what my biggest fear is right now about our team.  Maybe I'm the only person worrying about this, and, then, maybe I'm not.

What we saw for nine minutes on Monday night is what we have been waiting to see all season from our beloved orange & black.  They came out  with a singular focus , razor sharp, unstoppable, and determined to show the nation that last season was no fluke and that they are, in fact, the best football team in the world. I think if that game had been played to its conclusion, most serious football watchers would agree that our Bengals are the best football team on the planet and that our QB is the most valuable player in the league.  This was the unstoppable machine that we all fantasized about after the free agent signings in the off season.

We got to see but a glimpse of what we all envisioned prior to the season. For nine minutes--nine glorious minutes--- we saw our team perform at the level that we all have long anticipated. And then in one terrifying moment where tragedy and bad luck collided, it ended. My fear is that we will never see that team again this season.  The emotional shock and trauma of the event may change these players. There may still be good play and even playoff wins... or maybe not. But I worry that the team we saw for nine  special minutes on Monday night may lose the energy, drive, focus, and momentum they exhibited against the Bills. There was no way they were letting the Bills leave Cincinnati with a win. Monday night was going to be the night they staked their claim as the best football team in the world.

I hope we see that same team again this season, but I fear we may not.  Is my concern just an irrational fear of an old fart who wants so much to see one Superbowl win before my time on earth passes? Maybe some of you worry about this as well. If so, let me know. I look forward to your thoughts on whether you think this team can pick back up that same energy and focus it had Monday night or whether you think it unlikely we will see that level of play again the remainder of this season.  Is my fear unreasonable... unjustifiable?  Maybe FDR was right. Maybe "fear itself"  is all that's to fear.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
The same thought has crossed my mind.

I can even picture the headlines if the Bengals, Bills or both stumble in the playoffs.

"The two hottest teams in the AFC, undone by tragedy on Monday Night Football."

Of course, the other headline could also be that they played inspired football following an experience like that.

But, ultimately, you and I have no control over how they respond to this situation. We just have to watch and hope not only that Hamlin recovers and is okay but also that our teams continue to play well moving forward.

Also keep in mind that the Bengals looked just as good at the beginning of the Patriots game before a bunch of silly nonsense occurred in the 2nd half of that game, so it's not like this is the first time they've been razor focused and efficient this season. I am hopeful that they return to that level of play consistently in the playoffs and moving forward.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 02:04 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The same thought has crossed my mind.

I can even picture the headlines if the Bengals, Bills or both stumble in the playoffs.

Of course, the other headline could also be that they played inspired football following an experience like that.

But, ultimately, you and I have no control over how they respond to this situation. We just have to watch and hope not only that Hamlin recovers and is okay but also that our teams continue to play well moving forward.

Also keep in mind that the Bengals looked just as good at the beginning of the Patriots game before a bunch of silly nonsense occurred in the 2nd half of that game, so it's not like this is the first time they've been razor focused and efficient this season. I am hopeful that they return to that level of play consistently in the playoffs and moving forward.

I hope you are right on all accounts. I would selfishly miss seeing some more of that beautiful Bengal football.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
Taylor is still the coach. Joe B is still the qb. Chase is still the #1wr. Lou is still the DC. DJ, Trey, Pratt.. There's rock solid guys all over this roster, so there could be a blip today, but I'm confident that the ship will be back on course faster than it would even be fair to expect. These guys will deal with adversity and find a way to overcome it. The leadership on this team is undeniable, even if they are saying things that make them look vulnerable at the moment. These guys will find their motivation vs. the Ravens. They may appear sensitive, but they will seek to dominate when the game starts. We just won't get to enjoy any pre-game trash talk or mind games from the guys this week, that's all.
Reply/Quote
They will likely be sluggish and half-hearted going into Sunday's game. The Ravens will punch them in the mouth and after about 22 minutes the training will kick in. Temperment, comraderie, and muscle-memory will click.

I hope the Ravens do not rest their starters. We need that fat lip to jumpstart the juggernaut.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I think you’re AFRAID that may be the case. However, I don’t think it will be. Burrows not scared. This team is filled with people with similar dna.

I think the team will rally and grow even closer. There may be some players that struggle more with it than others, but they’ll get back to it and finish it off.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some more nfl players retire earlier as a result—as we’ve seen more do the past couple years. But life will go on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 02:04 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The same thought has crossed my mind.

How about Bengals overcome tragedy to win franchise's first Super Bowl.

Anything can happen, I wouldn't worry about it.
Reply/Quote
that balloon got deflated. feels more like bengals lose to ravens and then turn around and lose again in wildcard tbh. hope i'm wrong but i don't think i am.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 03:36 AM)WildCat Wrote: that balloon got deflated. feels more like bengals lose to ravens and then turn around and lose again in wildcard tbh. hope i'm wrong but i don't think i am.

I do gather a sense of deflation. I just hope it doesn't last and they can get back the same powerful energy I sensed on Monday night.
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
The team needs to take the extreme lack of sympathy I feel from the Raven's words about wanting to play for the division and stuff instead of focusing on the incident and light a fire under this teams ass to absolutely kick their teeth in for the audacity of it all.
Reply/Quote
Yeah I'm worried about this as well OP. I think if we were still in week 5 or something, I wouldn't be. Plenty of time to regather and rebound.

It's Week 18 and literally every game we now play has a lot riding on it. Division rests on Sunday's game. If we replay the Bills, then the division may rest on that too, or at least seeding. Maybe the #1 seed. After that of course it's playoffs. There isn't time to regather here, if we aren't able to get at it from the off then it'll likely cost us something.

Might be a small blessing playing the Ravens, only as they've been so offensively limited. 4 TDs in 44 drives or something since Jackson went out. If your opponent doesn't score then you stay in any game.

Possible these guys do get at it from the off as well though. Possible we get good news on Hamlin by then and there's rejuvenation. We'll just have to watch the game. I won't be slating the team if they play like crap on Sunday in any case.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:45 AM)Science Friction Wrote: Famously said, at his first inauguration :   ... " Let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. "

Folks, fellow Bengal fans , let me tell you what my biggest fear is right now about our team.  Maybe I'm the only person worrying about this, and, then, maybe I'm not.

What we saw for nine minutes on Monday night is what we have been waiting to see all season from our beloved orange & black.  They came out  with a singular focus , razor sharp, unstoppable, and determined to show the nation that last season was no fluke and that they are, in fact, the best football team in the world. I think if that game had been played to its conclusion, most serious football watchers would agree that our Bengals are the best football team on the planet and that our QB is the most valuable player in the league.  This was the unstoppable machine that we all fantasized about after the free agent signings in the off season.

We got to see but a glimpse of what we all envisioned prior to the season. For nine minutes--nine glorious minutes--- we saw our team perform at the level that we all have long anticipated. And then in one terrifying moment where tragedy and bad luck collided, it ended. My fear is that we will never see that team again this season.  The emotional shock and trauma of the event may change these players. There may still be good play and even playoff wins... or maybe not. But I worry that the team we saw for nine  special minutes on Monday night may lose the energy, drive, focus, and momentum they exhibited against the Bills. There was no way they were letting the Bills leave Cincinnati with a win. Monday night was going to be the night they staked their claim as the best football team in the world.

I hope we see that same team again this season, but I fear we may not.  Is my concern just an irrational fear of an old fart who wants so much to see one Superbowl win before my time on earth passes? Maybe some of you worry about this as well. If so, let me know. I look forward to your thoughts on whether you think this team can pick back up that same energy and focus it had Monday night or whether you think it unlikely we will see that level of play again the remainder of this season.  Is my fear unreasonable... unjustifiable?  Maybe FDR was right. Maybe "fear itself"  is all that's to fear.

After much time in prayer for Damar and all those involved, my mind started wandering to scenarios.  How do they do this?  They have to make it up?  Do they start where it ended?  Yes, they were looking INCREDIBLE.  And that has led me to where I am now:

It doesn't matter.  Not the injury...that matters more than anything.  But the game, the seeding....it just doesn't matter.

Why?  Because I think the team as it sits right now is the best in the NFL.  I think they will win their last game, every playoff game, and the Super Bowl.  Despite some key injuries, they have overcome them and we are seeing the Bengals team we thought we always would once the line was stabilized.  Sure, it took a bit to get used to attacking underneath in cover 2 defensive sets, etc.  But they are there now.  It is there time.  
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:45 AM)Science Friction Wrote: Famously said, at his first inauguration :   ... " Let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. "

Oh I am totally with you and it makes me sick to think about.  I have waited over 30 years to see those nine glorious minutes.  Makes me want to physically vomit.  Have been sharing this awesome ride with my almost 15 year old son, so losing out on that excitement with him hurts even more.

Of course that all goes away if they come out and smack down the Ravens.  We shall see.  Praying everything works out.
Reply/Quote
I think it's a fair concern, and I've considered that outcome for both teams. My hope is that we get more good reports about Damar and it galvanizes both squads to the point that we somehow face each other for the AFC crown. Gotta believe. If the opposite were to happen, I'd understand. At the end of the day, it's a game for entertainment, and life is bigger than a game.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I don't think the players are weak minded enough to let it bother them that much a week out. It may affect them in some way, but they are professionals and will power through.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 03:36 AM)WildCat Wrote: that balloon got deflated. feels more like bengals lose to ravens and then turn around and lose again in wildcard tbh. hope i'm wrong but i don't think i am.

Honestly, I feel the same way.  Though admittedly I am the resident pessimist.

I dunno.  It kinda feels gross even having this conversation so I hope people can forgive me for focusing on something so far down the priority list right now.  But I watched those Burrow and Reader press conferences and they both just seemed so... deflated, like you said.  It feels like whatever wind was in the team's sails has left.  

Now, maybe there's an element of PR to it.  Probably not a good look for Burrow to go up to the podium, beaming with excitement, talking about how ready they are to play just 2 days after the tragedy.  But if his demeanor is indicative of the actual team mood, then I don't know.  I think they've gone as far as they're gonna go this year. Just my gut feeling. The playoffs are sudden elimination. There's no luxury of time anymore, or being able to afford an "off" week. These guys would need to rebound immediately.

It really sucks, but given the circumstances it's something I could live with. Just would hate to see all of their hard work this season undone like this, and yet another "What if?" year for the team's history books.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 02:52 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I think you’re AFRAID that may be the case. However, I don’t think it will be. Burrows not scared. This team is filled with people with similar dna.

I think the team will rally and grow even closer. There may be some players that struggle more with it than others, but they’ll get back to it and finish it off.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some more nfl players retire earlier as a result—as we’ve seen more do the past couple years. But life will go on.

Yes, yes I am!   LOL
Reply/Quote

Anyone that has ever played a sport knows...once you step on that field/court your mind doesn't think about any other damn thing other than the game itself. 

This is why I LOVE playing basketball and sports in general. For two hours I am literally in a trance. Not a thought about work, relationships, kids, etc. Just trying to get that ball in the hoop. 

Focus on preparation for the game, the week leading up, etc is a different story, but I do not doubt the leadership we have in that building to get our guys ready to go. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 10:42 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Anyone that has ever played a sport knows...once you step on that field/court your mind doesn't think about any other damn thing other than the game itself. 

This is why I LOVE playing basketball and sports in general. For two hours I am literally in a trance. Not a thought about work, relationships, kids, etc. Just trying to get that ball in the hoop. 

Focus on preparation for the game, the week leading up, etc is a different story, but I do not doubt the leadership we have in that building to get our guys ready to go. 

There is a lot of truth to this. And I'm not disagreeing here as you may be proven right, but the NFL is a little unique on this one. It's a pretty violent sport, and nobody can afford to not be 'all-in' when it comes to make a tackle etc. The requirements just aren't as big in some other sports, for you to put your body on the line as you do in the NFL.

In football/soccer, you could get away a little with some guys not going all out on everything. In the NFL, if we're fielding anyone who isn't fully ready to be there, it's going to show. The base requirement for being ready is bigger than in some other sports imo.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 10:46 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: There is a lot of truth to this. And I'm not disagreeing here as you may be proven right, but the NFL is a little unique on this one. It's a pretty violent sport, and nobody can afford to not be 'all-in' when it comes to make a tackle etc. The requirements just aren't as big in some other sports, for you to put your body on the line as you do in the NFL.

In football/soccer, you could get away a little with some guys not going all out on everything. In the NFL, if we're fielding anyone who isn't fully ready to be there, it's going to show. The base requirement for being ready is bigger than in some other sports imo.

You guys act like something like this has never happened before. 

Tua was literally seizing out on that same field in front of those same players like 6 weeks ago and had to be carried off on a stretcher. Guys on the team have been seriously injured, concussed. Obviously its not EXACTLY the same, but they are both pretty similar in that they were VERY serious things.

These guys know what they signed up for. ZT even said that yesterday. What happened Monday sucked, but it was a freak accident. One in a million chance and barely even football related. The guys will be fine. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote