Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freaking Hobson....
(01-09-2021, 02:47 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I mean, a link would be nice.

It's Hobson.... where does he write? Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 03:54 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: He has inside info so he knows that the Bengals are going to sign Scherff AND Thuney so the O line will be set by draft day.

He actually said he doesn't think they will go after Thuney due to expense. He's just full of good news today. Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 03:59 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: I think Hobs is blowing smoke in case other teams are watching/reading/listening.  They want Sewell and know he's only slightly within their reach.  If we don't say we're gonna get OL and that we're fine with what we have, a team may not jump ahead of us to get Sewell, since we obviously haven't indicated we want him or even shown interest.

Hopefully this is the case.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 03:59 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: I think Hobs is blowing smoke in case other teams are watching/reading/listening.  They want Sewell and know he's only slightly within their reach.  If we don't say we're gonna get OL and that we're fine with what we have, a team may not jump ahead of us to get Sewell, since we obviously haven't indicated we want him or even shown interest.

The idea that Hobson writes things to throw off others teams is laughable.

I'm just picturing the Eagles or Panthers or somebody looking at their draft board and discussing what they need to do to secure a target.  "Our research (Geoff Hobson from bengals.com) suggest the Bengals will be going defense in round 1."
Reply/Quote
He was full of contradictions.
The O line really needs to be better. Its full of talent.
We need to go defense defense defense. We have just spent 120 million on defense.
Reply/Quote
Unless they spend big on free agent o-line help, I don't believe they go defense in the 1st 3 rounds.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I really think all he's doing is repeating what Zac said in pressers all year. It doesn't mean he's right, because Zac was defending the OL out of a bunker mentality. They'll do full re-evaluations this offseason, and who knows, the praise and love for Hart and others might be re-thought.

I no longer think the Hobson has any inside info or is trying to blow smoke. He's just a guy with an opinion, like all of us and like the beat reporters.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 02:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He's already pushing "develop the tackles and guards we have" and go Defense in the first 3 rds. of the draft. I don't care if they load up on  defense in the draft, but they better stick with the plan to address the Oline in FA.

That guy's been an idiot since day 1. We need to overhaul the offense line and pick up a WR to replace Green. Offense needs addressing first and foremost.
Reply/Quote
They can try and recreate the 2000 Ravens or 85 Bears all they want, this team will only go as far as Burrow can take them. Fix the OL, and give him weapons. LSU went on their epic run because of their offense. That’s what we should be trying to copy.

Reply/Quote
Not sure what the OP was looking at, but Hobson indeed did NOT call for defense in the 1st 3 rounds. In his response to the opening letter, he stated that WR talent was deep and speed at WR could be found in the 3rd round. Learn how to read, people..

However, Hobson does has a point, the Bengals do need to restock the defense with an infusion of young talent in both the DL and Secondary. I part ways with him on his point about the Bengals having 3 young Tackles to finish developing, as if Sewell is there they almost have to take him at 5. If Sewell in gone at 5, then I agree that the best defender on the board should be the Bengals pick.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 05:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The idea that Hobson writes things to throw off others teams is laughable.

I'm just picturing the Eagles or Panthers or somebody looking at their draft board and discussing what they need to do to secure a target.  "Our research (Geoff Hobson from bengals.com) suggest the Bengals will be going defense in round 1."

It is a bit far fetched, but it's not entirely impossible.  Teams do do that.  
Reply/Quote
Perhaps he's just assuming that the offensive line will be completely fixed in the offseason through fa. Now if, and only if, that were to happen then the defensive draft makes some sense. That would take not only quality free agent signings for the starters but quality free agent signings to add depth as well. That would be a miracle in itself.
Reply/Quote
You were wondering why I'm so frustrated and pessimistic. I see better than I hear. What I'm seeing, so far this offseason, are half measures and begrudging changes.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 02:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He's already pushing "develop the tackles and guards we have" and go Defense in the first 3 rds. of the draft. I don't care if they load up on  defense in the draft, but they better stick with the plan to address the Oline in FA.

I'm fine with developing them as useful backups, that has nothing to do with paying competent starters.  

Leaning that hard on defense implies that those that butter his bread messed up.  They threw a lot of money on that side of the ball and have some solid FA's so are they losing them too?  

I think we pay attention to him so we can be mad at the FO.  
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 05:58 PM)GodFather Wrote: That guy's been an idiot since day 1. We need to overhaul the offense line and pick up a WR to replace Green. Offense needs addressing first and foremost.

Were about to lose a #1 CB, our #1 pass rusher, already lost our #2 pass rusher, and will probably cut Geno Atkins. The Defense needs to be addressed just as much and maybe even more.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 02:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He's already pushing "develop the tackles and guards we have" and go Defense in the first 3 rds. of the draft. I don't care if they load up on defense in the draft, but they better stick with the plan to address the Oline in FA.

Yep.
I can live with Adeniji, Johnson, Jordan, and Price/Finney as depth, but they need 2-3 new starters. Gotta get in FA if not early in draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
No on offense line first in the draft. We have not done too good on early OL picks how many have we waisted.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 07:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yep.
I can live with Adeniji, Johnson, Jordan, and Price/Finney as depth, but they need 2-3 new starters. Gotta get in FA if not early in draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right

The vast majority of our Oline group are backup/spot starter type players. We badly need 3 upgrades and hopefully Williams can come back and be a good lineman somewhere.
Reply/Quote
Here's another gem from Hobson in that article:

Quote:As for Patriots guard Joe Thuney, I hear you on that. But that's just going to cost too much for a team that is stocked with so many offensive linemen and needs help on defense. The answer there is to develop the slew of guards you've already got. Take Thuney money and go after a a defensive lineman or cornerback.

Stocked with so many OL? All you can do is laugh at this crap.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
If Hobs is indeed The Family's mouthpiece, I got one thing to say: f*** you mike brown & co.

Bloody idiots

Ps
Maybe being sick has caused me to be disinclined to deal the The Family & Co's bs. Think I will break off for a few days.

Peace
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote