Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freaking Hobson....
Who cares? Hobson performed his usual act last offseason, then the team went and spent big. I'm not sure he's to be taken as gospel anymore. IIRC, they spent a lot more in FA than he claimed they had, and then some.

It's just damn near impossible for me to believe that they won't address the o-line in a serious way this offseason. I know they've done it before, but I believe that the Burrow injury was probably a major wake-up call for them. They already canned the OL coach. I think that an effort will be made.

I'm far more incline to believe the earlier reports of them wanting to go after OL in FA and draft a weapon in the first. That's not totally inexcusable, and drafting that potential number 1 WR is a very Bengal thing to do. The team rarely does not have a top-end talent at the position. Mike clearly places a high value on it, and being in the position to get Chase or Smith probably has the hamster in his head running marathons with excitement.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 06:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not sure what the OP was looking at, but Hobson indeed did NOT call for defense in the 1st 3 rounds.  In his response to the opening letter, he stated that WR talent was deep and speed at WR could be found in the 3rd round.  Learn how to read, people..

It's actually in the article in at least 2 places... typed the same way, leaving little doubt what he's saying

Quote:Defense. Defense. Defense.
Reply/Quote
It's Hobson.

Jerry
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Hobson does this every year and he's always way out the loop. He's no mouthpiece for the brown family, that would be lapham more than anybody else. Lapham at least has good info that seems like it's coming directly from the org. Hobson is just a hack that runs the website.
Reply/Quote
Didn’t he also say they were going to very little last year in FA too, then they went and spent money?
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 02:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He's already pushing "develop the tackles and guards we have" and go Defense in the first 3 rds. of the draft. I don't care if they load up on  defense in the draft, but they better stick with the plan to address the Oline in FA.

Aside from the obvious idiotic statements about the O-Line --which defender fits his description that would be taken at 5? He's not suggesting the Bengals take Paye or Parsons with the 5th is he? That is scary!!
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 08:24 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Here's another gem from Hobson in that article:

Stocked with so many OL? All you can do is laugh at this crap.

Just an absolutely terrible take. Developing guards and moving the defense up a few spots in the rankings is more important than protecting Joe Burrow? Can’t keep waiting on guys to “develop.” I don’t want Andrew Luck 2.0.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I believe it. You can’t compete if your D can’t stop anybody. Lawson, WJ3, Mack and Atkins may be gone Dunlap already is Reader had a major injury.

It is clear as day our D is still badly in need of help and at 5 we may have first pick in that side of the ball.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 09:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It's actually in the article in at least 2 places... typed the same way, leaving little doubt what he's saying

Sorry Sled, but I just can't agree with you on this one.  He never does say that the Bengals should draft Defense in the first 3 rounds.  He does say "defense, defense, defense" twice, but I view that more as a "rally cry" than any actual prediction or premonition.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 10:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sorry Sled, but I just can't agree with you on this one.  He never does say that the Bengals should draft Defense in the first 3 rounds.  He does say "defense, defense, defense" twice, but I view that more as a "rally cry" than any actual prediction or premonition.

Agree he is not saying draft first 3 rounds, but he is saying D needs addressed. I just have to chuckle though in the fact he points out how bad the D has been with all these stats and states we need to get in guys on defense and yet there is no mention of needing a new coordinator. I still cannot fathom that Lou is coming back. It’s almost as if I just have to wait until the 2022 season for any change. Wake me up next year I guess.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 10:51 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Agree he is not saying draft first 3 rounds, but he is saying D needs addressed. I just have to chuckle though in the fact he points out how bad the D has been with all these stats and states we need to get in guys on defense and yet there is no mention of needing a new coordinator. I still cannot fathom that Lou is coming back. It’s almost as if I just have to wait until the 2022 season for any change. Wake me up next year I guess.

He is saying they have 1 proven edge defender under contract in 2021 (Sam Hubbard). Which is true. The Bengals need to improve the offense line but ignoring the defensive line is just as bad. They need an edge rusher or possibly 2 if they dont resign Carl Lawson.

The Bengals need to attack the lines on both sides of the ball because the trenches win football games. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 03:55 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: In one of the answers, Hobson refers to Zac as a smart guy as justification for why we don't need to address the Oline.

I wouldn't pay much attention to him.

Right. He lost all credibility by stating the following:

Quote:And in Billy Price they've got a first-rounder who is a good center if Hopkins isn't back for the opener. 

LMAO I really need what he's smoking. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 06:59 PM)J24 Wrote: Were about to lose a #1 CB, our #1 pass rusher, already lost our #2 pass rusher, and will probably cut Geno Atkins. The Defense needs to be addressed just as much and maybe even more.

Who is the biggest asset on this team? Yes Joe Burrow....and if he isn't playing because of injury down to the lack of protection up front, it won't matter how good the defense is because the team will go nowhere without Joe.

So number one priority should be protecting Burrow with an offensive line and drafting a good WR to have a well rounded WR corp. Then you will have an offense to be reckoned with. The defense needs much more work and with a DC like Lou things will tank before snap one of the 2021 season.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 12:25 AM)GodFather Wrote: Who is the biggest asset on this team? Yes Joe Burrow....and if he isn't playing because of injury down to the lack of protection up front, it won't matter how good the defense is because the team will go nowhere without Joe.

So number one priority should be protecting Burrow with an offensive line and drafting a good WR to have a well rounded WR corp. Then you will have an offense to be reckoned with. The defense needs much more work and with a DC like Lou things will tank before snap one of the 2021 season.

They hired Pollack, which is a fantastic move.  Our running game and O-Line just took a decent step forward.  Next, we'll attack O-Line in FA.  Given that our second string has gotten experience through this season, that should mean we'll have some pretty great depth that can play in a pinch.   

With that said, I think Lou showed some great flashes of what he's capable of and he did it with some pretty crappy players.  Let's give this guy some good players and watch what he does.  Now, I don't really want to go defense with our #5, unless Sewell goes 2nd overall and Chase goes 4 to the 'Fins.  Should that happen, lets get Parsons!  What a world this would be if we could say our LB unit was our best position on defense.  I don't think I've felt that way ever....
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 11:33 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Right. He lost all credibility by stating the following:

LMAO I really need what he's smoking. 

Don’t do it man. Mexican super meth is a hard and fast downward spiral
Reply/Quote
This is probably the worst Hobson’s choice article I’ve read.

To state that nothing needs to be done about the offensive line after seeing Burrow get pummeled (and ultimately his career put in jeopardy) make absolutely no sense at all.

I agree with him in stating that getting an elite level pass rusher is our biggest need though. I definitely agree. I agree that the defense needs upgrading more than the offense, but to ignore the issues with the offensive line is just irresponsible journalism.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 08:24 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Here's another gem from Hobson in that article:

Stocked with so many OL? All you can do is laugh at this crap.

In fairness, he didn't say we had good ones, he just said we had lots of them.
Reply/Quote
His latest article is just dreadful. The way he tries to spin the oline as though its not a problem. They got burrow hurt and lets not forget Allen had to keep leaving games because he was getting hurt. Sure we have a lot of linemen but none are elite level, average at best. The way he spins Lou staying as “continuity”, well then I guesss here is to 2021 and the D continually staying in the bottom third of the league.

His responses were sickening from beginning to end.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 10:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sorry Sled, but I just can't agree with you on this one.  He never does say that the Bengals should draft Defense in the first 3 rounds.  He does say "defense, defense, defense" twice, but I view that more as a "rally cry" than any actual prediction or premonition.

I think you're correct here.  

If we had even an average OL, then drafting defense with the first 2 or 3 picks would be a terrific idea.  They haven't invested a number 1 pick on that side of the ball since Jackson.  I think Bates was the only second rounder.  He's the only defender they've selected in the first 2 rounds in the last 4 drafts.  You have to allocate draft capital there at some point.  

The sad reality is that development and drafting on the OL had been below average to bad with the exception of Jonah, and Jonah just can't seem to stay on the field long enough to make you feel great about him.  Jordan is as bad as starters get in the league, Spain, XSF and Hart are average to below average castoffs, and Hopkins was just alright.  Now Hopkins is hurt, too.  

Here's the key in this situation: this front office can not afford to screw up Joe Burrow's career any further than they already have.  The national media is watching and waiting for them to screw it up and claim they were right about everything they wrote and said leading up to the draft.  Burrow says and does everything you want the face of your franchise to say and do.  He can't get Bengalized.

This situation puts the line ahead of the defense for now.  Their payroll has little invested in OL right now.  The defense got major investments in Waynes and Reader last year.  Hopkins makes a hair over 6 mil per and Jonah/Bobby are in the 5 mil range.  Good OL make 2-3x what these guys make.  They need to re-structure the budget while Burrow is on a rookie deal and invest in some actual proven FA OL as they did with the D last year. Do the developing with non-starters and hope they can step in when you have to pay Joe and can no longer afford the high-dollar guys.  Putting Burrow behind a group of journeyman and nobodies is like buying a Ferrari and parking it on the street in front of your house.  Bad shit will happen and you will lose.  Just okay is not good enough, and waiting to develop is not the answer.

Pollack is a start and Turner being gone could be huge.  That's step 1, so  give them credit for that.  Now you follow through and get some serious players up front instead of hoping that you're nags magically turn into thoroughbreds in the offseason.  
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 11:19 AM)samhain Wrote: I think you're correct here.  

If we had even an average OL, then drafting defense with the first 2 or 3 picks would be a terrific idea.  They haven't invested a number 1 pick on that side of the ball since Jackson.  I think Bates was the only second rounder.  He's the only defender they've selected in the first 2 rounds in the last 4 drafts.  You have to allocate draft capital there at some point.  

The sad reality is that development and drafting on the OL had been below average to bad with the exception of Jonah, and Jonah just can't seem to stay on the field long enough to make you feel great about him.  Jordan is as bad as starters get in the league, Spain, XSF and Hart are average to below average castoffs, and Hopkins was just alright.  Now Hopkins is hurt, too.  

Here's the key in this situation: this front office can not afford to screw up Joe Burrow's career any further than they already have.  The national media is watching and waiting for them to screw it up and claim they were right about everything they wrote and said leading up to the draft.  Burrow says and does everything you want the face of your franchise to say and do.  He can't get Bengalized.

This situation puts the line ahead of the defense for now.  Their payroll has little invested in OL right now.  The defense got major investments in Waynes and Reader last year.  Hopkins makes a hair over 6 mil per and Jonah/Bobby are in the 5 mil range.  Good OL make 2-3x what these guys make.  They need to re-structure the budget while Burrow is on a rookie deal and invest in some actual proven FA OL as they did with the D last year.  Do the developing with non-starters and hope they can step in when you have to pay Joe and can no longer afford the high-dollar guys.  Putting Burrow behind a group of journeyman and nobodies is like buying a Ferrari and parking it on the street in front of your house.  Bad shit will happen and you will lose.  Just okay is not good enough, and waiting to develop is not the answer.

Pollack is a start and Turner being gone could be huge.  That's step 1, so  give them credit for that.  Now you follow through and get some serious players up front instead of hoping that you're nags up front magically turn into thoroughbreds in the offseason.  

The team announced that they were going to be looking at OL in free agency.  If that is indeed the case, then I hope that they are serious about it, and have a specific plan in place when free agency arrives.  

I would think that having a plan would require some in depth conversations between Pollack, Callahan and Taylor.  Once they agree upon what style of offense, and pick which blocking scheme they want to run, they can then begin to analyze potential free agents who have the coordinating strength of skillset to be good fits into the team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote