Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fred Johnson gets another shot at RG
(09-23-2020, 01:43 AM)kacymcbryant18 Wrote: Looks like the offensive line will remain unchanged from what we saw in week 2 according to the head coach.  Nervous

https://www.bengals.com/news/taylor-made-takes-keeping-o-line-intact-for-eagles

Why mess with success?  If winning the #1 overall pick is how you measure success.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Coaches like Reid Tomlin and Harbaugh would made the change
If they had a OG perform as bad as Johnson
Reply/Quote
Coaches gonna coach speak.

Honestly, I don't even know why we have press conferences and Q&As anymore. We already know what we're going to hear. Just go radio silent until Sunday each week. Everyone will be much happier that way (especially the players, many of whom hate having to answer the same questions every week).
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 09:20 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Coaches gonna coach speak.

Honestly, I don't even know why we have press conferences and Q&As anymore. We already know what we're going to hear. Just go radio silent until Sunday each week. Everyone will be much happier that way (especially the players, many of whom hate having to answer the same questions every week).

What are sports journos gonna write about? Breaking down stats?

Also, to play devil's advocate to ZT's comments, Evil Monkey on CJ pointed this out:

Quote:The Bengals sacks rate allowed is 5.8% - which is league average.  Also, according to the NFL's official NextGen stats the Bengals pressures allowed rate is slightly better than league average.
If you watch other games you'll see a lot of pass protection worse than the Bengals.

(09-23-2020, 09:19 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Coaches like Reid Tomlin and Harbaugh would made the change 
If they had a OG perform as bad as Johnson

Carroll would extend him!  Wink
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 09:23 AM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: Also, to play devil's advocate to ZT's comments, Evil Monkey on CJ pointed this out:

Not to mention we just faced 2 of the leagues elite pass rushers....
Reply/Quote
I suspect if Johnsons continues to struggle against Philly, we will see Redmond come in for him.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 10:17 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I suspect if Johnsons continues to struggle against Philly, we will see Redmond come in for him.

This wouldn’t surprise me at all. Hell, Redmond might be the bust RG in in the room, which is terrifying.
Reply/Quote
Turner is a poor judge of offensive line talent.

I'm still stunned that what we saw from Cleveland's Oline could have been us, and now we will get manhandled up front by Cleveland's Oline for years to come. Not getting Callahan to come will be Taylor's undoing.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Might be seeing a lot of Fletcher Cox in are backfield.
Reply/Quote
Bengal fans around here just are not watching other NFL games.

Bengals pass pro is middle of the pack, yet everyone here is claiming we are the worst in the league and could sign guys off the street better than our starters.

All fans love to play the victim card, but I think Bengal fans are the masters. Anything average becomes "worst ever in the history of the NFL".

Do we need to improve. ABSOLUTELY!

Are we going to improve by playing our backup? PROBABLY NOT.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 10:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengal fans around here just are not watching other NFL games.

Bengals pass pro is middle of the pack, yet everyone here is claiming we are the worst in the league and could sign guys off the street better than our starters.

All fans love to play the victim card, but I think Bengal fans are the masters.  Anything average becomes "worst ever in the history of the NFL".

Do we need to improve.  ABSOLUTELY!

Are we going to improve by playing our backup?  PROBABLY NOT.

I wouldn't say it's so much that Bengals fans love playing the "victim card" so much as in Bengals fans only speak in hyperbole.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 03:17 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I can't blame him. Definitely sticking up for his guys a little bit.

What was that Fred Johnson's first snaps in a game at G in the NFL? And ZT says he didn't take any snaps there for a couple weeks and was basically thrown in on a short week.

We really don't have much behind him. Some of those lowlights from Thursday definitely looked like someone new to the position getting whooped on.

Once again I think we hit bottom and go up from here.

Yeah that's what I wanted to believe. But when Hobson asks about the defense he just says yeah it's a problem they need to play better. (Although this is not the first time I've noticed him refer to the defense in the third person, but the offense in the first person. He is truly an "offensive coach.")

once again hit rock bottom and go up? A lot of hitting rock bottom around here, but I don't remember the going up part, at least not with Taylor. 
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 10:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengal fans around here just are not watching other NFL games.

All fans love to play the victim card, but I think Bengal fans are the masters.  Anything average becomes "worst ever in the history of the NFL".

You're looking at 'sack rate' or 'pressure rate' or some such? That's why statistics need to be understood in context, not in the abstract. We're dinking and dunking down the field because we know we can't protect Burrow. On offense we don't dictate anything. We just orchestrate it around the defense's strengths and our weaknesses. We can't execute our full offense for fear of Burrow getting creamed. And so, we end up middle of pack in terms of these stats that only make sense out of context (also two weeks of data is a very low N, by the way). Thus our bad OL is absolutely inhibiting us, whether that translates to sacks or pressures or zero running game or whatever. 

And to be clear, i'm not griping about Fred getting another start - I understand his logic in that. I'm pissed that after an 0-2 start Taylor just writes off criticisms as 'overblown.' Not that I expect him to publicly throw his players under the bus, except that he turned right around and did that with the defense. 
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 11:15 AM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote:  I'm pissed that after an 0-2 start Taylor just writes off criticisms as 'overblown.'

Understandable, but that's a typical HC thing. Heck, how many times did Marvin Lewis giggle his way out of criticisms of ANY part of the team? Or the most infamous response to a particular criticism of Lewis in general: "journalistic jargons"?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

My off the street comment was due to the injury of XSF.
And, yes, while Bengals fans get a little woe is me, there are fanbases that are worse about that sort of thing. Giants fans, Texans fans and the Saints especially. The EPL team West Ham United has pretty dramatic fans as well, years of premiership but they are freaking protesting the owners of the team. Have NFL fans ever gotten that bad?
I will admit though, I thought it was amusing in the TNF thread when dawgtalkers was more positive about our team.
Though, I think the fanbase of a good team is probably more obnoxious. Ever visited /r/ravens? The place is high on their own farts.
Reply/Quote
The Browns worked under Fred Johnson most of the night. He was having issues with the Browns line playing lower and with better leverage. Against the Eagles hes going to have to keep his pads down or he will continue to struggle.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I just dont get it.. It's like they hate Burrow or something. BURROW is gonna have to be vocal to get a change..
Reply/Quote

#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 10:15 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Not to mention we just faced 2 of the leagues elite pass rushers....

Tired, sorry excuse. It's the NFL, you are going to face great pass rushers almost weekly. Are we only going to win the games when we play a team that doesn't have any good d-line? Might as well chalk up this week to a loss, Fletcher Cox.

Eagle - Fetcher Cox = loss
Jags - Josh Allen = loss
Ravens - Mathew Judon = loss
Colts - DeForrest Buckner = loss
Browns - Myles Garrett = another loss
Titans - Jadaveon Clowney = loss
Steelers - TJ Watt = loss
WFT - Chase Young = loss
Giants - Leonard Williams - ok might be a win here
Dolphins - Shaq Lawson - hey another win
Cowboys - DeMarcus Lawrence - loss
Steelers - Watt again - loss
Texans - The OG Watt - loss
Ravens - Judon - loss

Well, looks like we'll be 2-14 again.
Reply/Quote
Don't have to worry about premier pass rushers in the playoffs. None of them there. No sir.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote