Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fred Johnson gets another shot at RG
Bengals have two of the tallest guards in the league in Jordan (6'6") and Johnson (6'7").
It's difficult for them to win the leverage battle against interior rushers, most of whom are (much) shorter.
They both also have OT-length arms.
Fred Johnson is 2" taller and has 1.5" longer arms than Bobby Hart. Hart is about 10 lbs heaver than Johnson.
Perhaps it would be better to flip the two such that Hart was RG and Johnson was RT.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 12:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals have two of the tallest guards in the league in Jordan (6'6") and Johnson (6'7").
It's difficult for them to win the leverage battle against interior rushers, most of whom are (much) shorter.
They both also have OT-length arms.
Fred Johnson is 2" taller and has 1.5" longer arms than Bobby Hart. Hart is about 10 lbs heaver than Johnson.
Perhaps it would be better to flip the two such that Hart was RG and Johnson was RT.

Threw this out there in another thread. I also pointed out that Hart is a better run blocker than pass blocker, profile just fits better inside.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 12:08 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Threw this out there in another thread. I also pointed out that Hart is a better run blocker than pass blocker, profile just fits better inside.

Yep. I had mentioned it in the offseason too.  :andy:
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 12:08 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Threw this out there in another thread. I also pointed out that Hart is a better run blocker than pass blocker, profile just fits better inside.

Bobby Hart has been bottom of the league in run blocking for the last 2 seasons. Hart is more of a positional blocker better suited on the outside.

Quote: The rest of the line has plenty of question marks, including right tackle Bobby Hart,  who did take a step forward in pass protection last season but has still been well below average in his four seasons as a starter (109th out of 151 qualifiers on true pass sets). Hart has also ranked as a bottom-10 run-blocker in each of his last two seasons.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-units-entering-the-2020-nfl-season

Fred Johnson is going to have trouble inside too because hes more of a waist bender so interior guys are going to stand him up alot.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 10:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengal fans around here just are not watching other NFL games.

Bengals pass pro is middle of the pack, yet everyone here is claiming we are the worst in the league and could sign guys off the street better than our starters.

All fans love to play the victim card, but I think Bengal fans are the masters.  Anything average becomes "worst ever in the history of the NFL".

Do we need to improve.  ABSOLUTELY!

Are we going to improve by playing our backup?  PROBABLY NOT.

People still have that '05 Bengals OL stuck in their heads where Palmer could stand back there for 5 seconds with a clean pocket.  
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 03:17 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I can't blame him. Definitely sticking up for his guys a little bit.

What was that Fred Johnson's first snaps in a game at G in the NFL? And ZT says he didn't take any snaps there for a couple weeks and was basically thrown in on a short week.

We really don't have much behind him. Some of those lowlights from Thursday definitely looked like someone new to the position getting whooped on.

Once again I think we hit bottom and go up from here.

Nope, he played guard for the Steelers, not tackle and he was designated a G on their roster. The Bengals designated him a tackle.

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 10:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengal fans around here just are not watching other NFL games.

Bengals pass pro is middle of the pack, yet everyone here is claiming we are the worst in the league and could sign guys off the street better than our starters.

All fans love to play the victim card, but I think Bengal fans are the masters.  Anything average becomes "worst ever in the history of the NFL".

Do we need to improve.  ABSOLUTELY!

Are we going to improve by playing our backup?  PROBABLY NOT.

Yeah, but that's been the case for years now. It was suppose to be better this year.

If this is "middle of the pack", then the bar has been lowered substantially.

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 12:32 PM)Synric Wrote: Bobby Hart has been bottom of the league in run blocking for the last 2 seasons. Hart is more of a positional blocker better suited on the outside.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-units-entering-the-2020-nfl-season

Fred Johnson is going to have trouble inside too because hes more of a waist bender so interior guys are going to stand him up alot.

Not true this year. He’s grading better as a run blocker than pass blocker over the first two games.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 12:55 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Not true this year. He’s grading better as a run blocker than pass blocker over the first two games.

It's a two games average.

Against the Chargers he had a very high run blocking grade but it came down to earth vs the Stains.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 01:09 PM)Synric Wrote: It's a two games average.

Against the Chargers he had a very high run blocking grade but it came down to earth vs the Stains.

Well my real opinion on him is he sucks at both. I’m just trying to figure how to tweak something on the line to get the best 5 in their best positions.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 07:41 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Price is permanently terrible. 

This.  Price has given many chances to succeed.  The only thing he has succeeded at is failing.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 01:13 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Well my real opinion on him is he sucks at both. I’m just trying to figure how to tweak something on the line to get the best 5 in their best positions.

Honestly I would go with Alex Redmond. He was awful in pass protection the year he started but he was a solid run blocker. If they could get the run going that will help out the pass pro with play action and RPOs.

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 01:17 PM)Synric Wrote: Honestly I would go with Alex Redmond. He was awful in pass protection the year he started but he was a solid run blocker. If they could get the run going that will help out the pass pro with play action and RPOs.

It’s not his blocking that concerns me. It’s the penalties and unreliability because he’s always hurt. If the start him at RG we’ll get two games and four penalties before he’s hurt again and we’re right back where we were.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 01:17 PM)McC Wrote: This.  Price has given many chances to succeed.  The only thing he has succeeded at is failing.

Agreed some fans are saying it’s because of injuries and I’m not buying it. His 5th year option got declined so basically his days are number here don’t see him getting resigned.

- Lost his job to Hopkins
- Couldn’t beat out a rookie( Jordan) and John Miller to win a guard spot last year
- This offseason the team felt compelled to bring in Xavier su'a-filo because they believed Price wasn’t good enough to start.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 01:44 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Agreed some fans are saying it’s because of injuries and I’m not buying it. His 5th year option got declined so basically his days are number here don’t see him getting resigned.

- Lost his job to Hopkins
- Couldn’t beat out a rookie( Jordan) and John Miller to win a guard spot last year
- This offseason the team felt compelled to bring in Xavier su'a-filo because they believed Price wasn’t good enough to start.

No it didn't; how can it get declined if he's still in year 3?

A bunch you need to stop making things up off the top of your head.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 01:54 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: No it didn't; how can it get declined if he's still in year 3?

A bunch you need to stop making things up off the top of your head.

My bad for for some reason I thought this was his 4th year think I mixed it up with John Ross option getting declined. It’s hard too keep tabs on all these disappointing 1st round picks lol but if things keep trending the way they have it will more than likely get declined. Anyways my main point was I don’t think Price is the answer at guard and I’m not blaming it on injuries feel free to respond if you would like.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 11:18 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Understandable, but that's a typical HC thing. Heck, how many times did Marvin Lewis giggle his way out of criticisms of ANY part of the team? Or the most infamous response to a particular criticism of Lewis in general: "journalistic jargons"?

Marv was very predictable. If the team played well and won, he was very low key and short with his answers and when they lost he was upbeat and laughed and joked a lot. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
They put the guy in a tough situation. Here go play a game with essentially zero practice at a new position. That's just bright!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Like I keep saying....if Fred's our best option at RG, Price REALLY sucks.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 02:33 PM)lone bengal Wrote: My bad for for some reason I thought this was his 4th year think I mixed it up with John Ross option getting declined. It’s hard too keep tabs on all these disappointing 1st round picks lol but if things keep trending the way they have it will more than likely get declined. Anyways my main point was I don’t think Price is the answer at guard and I’m not blaming it on injuries feel free to respond if you would like.

That's fine; apologies if I seemed harsh (wasn't my intent), but with everyone being so angry and pessimistic, A TON of lies and misinformation (due to people making things up)is surfacing.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote