Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fred Johnson re-signed
Gotta give Hobson ammo for writing about how we don’t have any cap space. Not a promising start. Say he can be cut for nothing all you want, he’s counting they will treat him as part of our cap until/unless they cut him. He’s certainly not worth 2.4 mil based on how little he was used last year on a bad line with injuries.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Depth signing. AFWIW, I think he's a better tackle than Prince.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 12:56 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Gotta give Hobson ammo for writing about how we don’t have any cap space. Not a promising start. Say he can be cut for nothing all you want, he’s counting they will treat him as part of our cap until/unless they cut him. He’s certainly not worth 2.4 mil based on how little he was used last year on a bad line with injuries.

just stashing that 2.4 mil off the books till cut down day
Reply/Quote
I’m sure that Drew Rosenhaus and Duke Tobin and Mike Brown all old friends. Can be a good and bad thing.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 12:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I seriously doubt they gave this kid a 1-yr no guarantees tender with the intention of him being our starting RT. 

Paying your #4-5 OT $2.4 mil is dumb. It is a waste of money. Prince makes $965,000 and plays in front if him. Carman makes almost $1.7 mil. Adeniji makes $950,000 and he started. Smith makes $950,000. Trey Hill $873k. 

Johnson is now our 3rd highest paid OL (Jonah & Hopkins) AND HE NEVER PLAYS. We could have gotten a league min guy to do what he does and saved $1.5 mil on the cap. He is a PS level guy. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 12:11 PM)pally Wrote: 1 year $2.4 million

FJ is decent depth. Good signing, I like him better than Prince. Still need to either trade for a RT or bring in one of Trent Brown 
or Morgan Moses in Free Agency. Loved the Cappa pickup which is a major upgrade at RG over Adeniji.
Reply/Quote
I'm honestly surprised by this. Johnson sat behind Prince. I thought for sure he'd be gone.
Maybe he still will be by the end of preseason though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 01:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm honestly surprised by this. Johnson sat behind Prince. I thought for sure he'd be gone.
Maybe he still will be by the end of preseason though.

Johnson was an OG with the Steelers. Maybe signed for his versatility as a backup.
Reply/Quote
FYI the tender is non guaranteed, meaning if we find better options we cut him for nothing. This just gives us a nice fallback plan. My guess is the RT market is still a little unpredictable and they wanted an option just in case.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 01:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  
Johnson was an OG with the Steelers. Maybe signed for his versatility as a backup.

He's been far better at OT than OG while a Bengal.
I wouldn't ever put him at OG again unless emergency called for it.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 01:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: FYI the tender is non guaranteed, meaning if we find better options we cut him for nothing. This just gives us a nice fallback plan. My guess is the RT market is still a little unpredictable and they wanted an option just in case.

Makes sense.
Reply/Quote