Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Agency Day One
(03-13-2023, 11:59 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Who would the Bengals restructure besides Mixon?

Teams restructure massive, bloated contracts that hinder the salary cap.  We dont really have these.

Yes but if it's a tool in your tool box you could plan ahead. We could've signed Bates 2 years ago knowing we could or would be restructuring.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:06 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Yes but if it's a tool in your tool box you could plan ahead. We could've signed Bates 2 years ago knowing we could or would be restructuring.
I think they knew 2 years ago they weren't gonna pay Bates that big money he would want. They drafted Burrow and Higgins and Chase and knew they would need the money to keep them instead.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:17 AM)pulses Wrote: I think they knew 2 years ago they weren't gonna pay Bates that big money he would want. They drafted Burrow and Higgins and Chase and knew they would need the money to keep them instead.

I like Higgins. But the offense has been what's failed us the last 2 years. I'd rather pay Burrow and Chase and put Higgins money towards defense and or protection towards Burrow if it was my call. Everyone wants to talk about how little the two superbowl Champs were paying there running backs but the Chiefs didn't have any big contracts in the receiving department. Outside of Kelce who Chase could be our # 1 target.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 09:09 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I like Higgins. But the offense has been what's failed us the last 2 years. I'd rather pay Burrow and Chase and put Higgins money towards defense and or protection towards Burrow if it was my call. Everyone wants to talk about how little the two superbowl Champs were paying there running backs but the Chiefs didn't have any big contracts in the receiving department. Outside of Kelce who Chase could be our # 1 target.

That's a fair point...but you have to be able to actually sign an elite lineman with the money freed up. There aren't many elite lineman out there in free agency.

I think Burrow would be a great QB with only 1 elite WR and then some above average receivers, but I'm not 100% sure it's a given. But, if you put an elite O-line in front of him, I think it's 100% given he'd be an elite QB in that scenario. IF that makes sense.

ie You probably don't need 2 elite WR's if you have an elite line. That seems to be the model that a lot of teams use that pay a QB a large portion of their cap to win.
Reply/Quote
FWIW:

2022 PFF Grades:
1. Reader, NT, 87.3
2. Hendrickson, DE, 85.0
3. Pratt, LB, 80.6
------------
4. Bates, FS, 76.8
5. Hilton, CB, 73.4
6. Logan Wilson, LB, 72.7
7. Hubbard, DE, 72.4
------------
8. Awuzie, CB, 69.9
9. Bell, SS, 66.3
10. BJ Hill, DT, 65.8
-----------
11. Apple, CB, 52.9

Taylor-Britt graded out at 56.1 (higher than Apple).

Dax Hill graded out at 58.1, but most of that was at corner ,not safety.

My overall point was that Bell, while much beloved, and for good reason, wasn't exactly our top rated defender. He rated 9th of our starters last year, ahead of only BJ Hill (barely) and Apple.

If I had to choose between keeping Bell or Pratt, I'd chiose Pratt. He had a MUCH better year. However, it was his ONLY good year. But he is younger.

Losing Bates hurts. He is a quality player. No doubt about it. Like Bell. And losing them both at the same time leaves a hole. We need to fill it.

S & TE are the gaping holes right now.

CB, IOL, RB, & WR are the biggest depth issues.

OT is a quality/availability issue, we have 5 guys signed.

DE, DT, and LB are good. We have 5 at each spot inked. Could upgrade the last spot in each area, and we carried 6 LBs last year, but there is not a NEED.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 11:10 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: FWIW:

2022 PFF Grades:
1. Reader, NT, 87.3
2. Hendrickson, DE, 85.0
3. Pratt, LB, 80.6
------------
4. Bates, FS, 76.8
5. Hilton, CB, 73.4
6. Logan Wilson, LB, 72.7
7. Hubbard, DE, 72.4
------------
8. Awuzie, CB, 69.9
9. Bell, SS, 66.3
10. BJ Hill, DT, 65.8
-----------
11. Apple, CB, 52.9

Taylor-Britt graded out at 56.1 (higher than Apple).

Dax Hill graded out at 58.1, but most of that was at corner ,not safety.

My overall point was that Bell, while much beloved, and for good reason, wasn't exactly our top rated defender. He rated 9th of our starters last year, ahead of only BJ Hill (barely) and Apple.

If I had to choose between keeping Bell or Pratt, I'd chiose Pratt. He had a MUCH better year. However, it was his ONLY good year. But he is younger.

Losing Bates hurts. He is a quality player. No doubt about it. Like Bell. And losing them both at the same time leaves a hole. We need to fill it.

S & TE are the gaping holes right now.

CB, IOL, RB, & WR are the biggest depth issues.

OT is a quality/availability issue, we have 5 guys signed.

DE, DT, and LB are good. We have 5 at each spot inked. Could upgrade the last spot in each area, and we carried 6 LBs last year, but there is not a NEED.

Totally agree on Bell. And IF you're going to spend heavily, you need difference makers. That's how you win when a QB makes $50 million a year.
Reply/Quote
Bengals still have the following positions to fill:
- 1 starting safety (assuming Hill takes the other spot)
- TE1
- TE2
- Outside CB who could need to start potentially
- RB2/3
- Backup QB
- Backup NT
- Depth IOL
* OT help? (arguably need someone better than Adeniji backing up, might want someone better equipped to take over as starter in a year or two if Williams/Collins departs)
* Pass rush help? (more of a desire since Bengals have 7 DL spots likely locked up)

Hopefully a few of these end up getting covered by re-signings or good FA acquisitions so that the draft doesn't become so need-based.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 11:54 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals still have the following positions to fill:
- TE1
- TE2
- RB2/3
- Backup QB
- Backup NT
* Pass rush help? (more of a desire since Bengals have 7 DL spots likely locked up)

Hopefully a few of these end up getting covered by re-signings or good FA acquisitions so that the draft doesn't become so need-based.

Props for the roster update.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 12:08 AM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Because I’ve about as much chance as Mixon as being the starting RB by the time the season starts and the only thing I run for is last orders at the bar.

I love Mixon until last season he was great to watch and boils the piss of opposition fans but he can’t pass protect, production wise he wasn’t great last season and unless he’s willing to take a big pay cut there is better available.

I dont disagree with Mixon's shortcomings and definitely think there will be a change of some sort, but we will see.....

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 12:12 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Props for the roster update.

I forgot to add depth IOL, and a desire to upgrade OT (at least depth). I will update my post.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 09:09 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I like Higgins. But the offense has been what's failed us the last 2 years. I'd rather pay Burrow and Chase and put Higgins money towards defense and or protection towards Burrow if it was my call. Everyone wants to talk about how little the two superbowl Champs were paying there running backs but the Chiefs didn't have any big contracts in the receiving department. Outside of Kelce who Chase could be our # 1 target.

KC’s success in the passing game is more geared to off script than the Bengals. They like Tee and his length for Burrow. They aren’t as dependent as we are on great WR. They also have a better run game. I’m sure you know all that. KC was 1-1 versus us last year. 1-3 the last 2 years. People on here act like they are the Pats in their heyday. They beat us on an uncharacteristic big punt return and untimely personal foul at the gun. We aren’t their lap dog. Now it doesn’t mean they’ve not run a great front office especially the draft. But there’s not just one way to build a team.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 11:54 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals still have the following positions to fill:
- TE1
- TE2
- RB2/3
- Backup QB
- Backup NT
- Depth IOL
* OT help? (arguably need someone better than Adeniji backing up, might want someone better equipped to take over as starter in a year or two if Williams/Collins departs)

Did Jay Tufele leave?

(03-14-2023, 12:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: KC’s success in the passing game is more geared to off script than the Bengals. They like Tee and his length for Burrow. They aren’t as dependent as we are on great WR. They also have a better run game. I’m sure you know all that. KC was 1-1 versus us last year. 1-3 the last 2 years. People on here act like they are the Pats in their heyday. They beat us on an uncharacteristic big punt return and untimely personal foul at the gun. We aren’t their lap dog. Now it doesn’t mean they’ve not run a great front office especially the draft. But there’s not just one way to build a team.

All great points and all true, nice post Soonerpeace.
Reply/Quote
Here's some guys I'd be looking at signing:

1 ) Irv Smith TE. 24 Years old. Probably #2 TE with upside.
2 ) Jorgan Poyer S, 31 Years old. Plays at a very high level. Sign to a 2 year deal. I think we need experience at Safety and he's one of the best.
3 ) Rock Ya-Sin CB, 26 Years old.
4 ) Juan Thornhill S, 27 Years old.
5 ) Julian Love S, 24 Years old.
6 ) Sheldon Rankins DT, 28 Years old.
7 ) Larry O DT, 28 Years old.
Reply/Quote
Guys that would be bad signings.

1 ) Terrell Edmunds, S.
2 ) Adrian Amos, S.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 01:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Did Jay Tufele leave?

All great points and all true, nice post Soonerpeace.

He didn't, but I honestly forgot he was even still on the roster.
Is he really in their plans for this year?
I know he was picked up off waivers when Jags let him go, but I thought he was more of just a stopgap due to the injuries the Bengals suffered midway through the year at DT.
I'm not opposed to him holding a roster spot, but I wasn't factoring him in.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 01:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Guys that would be bad signings.

1 ) Terrell Edmunds, S.
2 ) Adrian Amos, S.

Why would Amos be bad?

He's started 122 games in his career and has played both safety spots.
He's good for a couple INTs and 60-100 tackles a season.

Aside from his age (about to turn 30), I don't think he'd be a terrible get.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 02:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He didn't, but I honestly forgot he was even still on the roster.
Is he really in their plans for this year?
I know he was picked up off waivers when Jags let him go, but I thought he was more of just a stopgap due to the injuries the Bengals suffered midway through the year at DT.
I'm not opposed to him holding a roster spot, but I wasn't factoring him in.

Happy Jay is still here, I would factor him in. Played damn good filling in for DJ. Crazy strong and just bullies Guards and Centers.

If he stays I think we are good at NT behind DJ. 3-tech might be a need though because neither BJ nor Zach were great last year 
getting pressure up the middle in passing situations.
Reply/Quote
Any of these Safety's come from teams that can/have locked Mahomes down?

We are past the time of concerning ourselves with having good regular seasons. The focus of FA and the Draft should be defeating KC. That's the level we are supposedly on now.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 02:41 PM)jj22 Wrote: Any of these Safety's come from teams that can/have locked Mahomes down?

We are past the time of concerning ourselves with having good regular seasons. The focus of FA and the Draft should be defeating KC. That's the level we are supposedly on now.

Smarts is what we need here, because that is how you beat Mahomes more than anything. That is why losing Bell hurts, dude is really 
smart and knew how to cover him along with Bates in high/low coverage. We have the range in Dax and Tycen that Jessie brought IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 02:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Smarts is what we need here, because that is how you beat Mahomes more than anything. That is why losing Bell hurts, dude is really 
smart and knew how to cover him along with Bates in high/low coverage. We have the range in Dax and Tycen that Jessie brought IMO.

Yep, Bell came with experience and playoff experience/success. That was key to the FA classes that Zac brought in to change the culture around. This team has the playoff experience now and can cover for any rookies and new additions that don't, but you do want some football smart  and savvy safety's and that experience will take some time if we go young. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote