Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Agency expectations?
They are really looking at upgrading the defense through FA. I dont expect them to get the best 9f the best, but Bears LB alexander, the upper 2nd tier players are the players they will probably target.

I'd love for them to make a trade for a guard. Tge raiders have a very good guard they are shopping I think and the bengals need to be in those conversations
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 06:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They will not sign any of the day one or most expensive free agents, but they will sign one or two B-level guys.

If the release Glenn then they probably sign an O-lineman in the same pay range 8-9 million.

They will definitely sign at least one new defensive starter.  Most likely a DT, but if they don't re-sign Dennard it will be a CB.

They will re-sign Vigil, Billings, and possibly Eifert.

Can you clarify by a ranking your definition of a B level guy? I see many sites rank the FA's each year.

For example AJ Green is a top 10 t0 20 FA among over 300 of them. I would think that makes him A+.

I know some like to think our former players under contract are already ours, but the fact is we have to sign AJ for example or he can go elsewhere.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 06:54 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Can you clarify by a ranking your definition of a B level guy? I see many sites rank the FA's each year.

For example AJ Green is a top 10 t0 20 FA among over 300 of them. I would think that makes him A+.

I know some like to think our former players under contract are already ours, but the fact is we have to sign AJ for example or he can go elsewhere.

I would say an A level guy is a guy that's hitting his prime and has plenty of years left... that's gonna to get one of those mega deals... where some team drastically overpays.

While AJs history of work is A+...      His value as a long term free agent is probly not.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 06:54 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Can you clarify by a ranking your definition of a B level guy? I see many sites rank the FA's each year.

AJ green will not be a free agent.  He will be tagged.

By "B-level" I mean proven productive starters that are not over the hill.  Guys like Antwan Odom, John Thornton, Nate Clements, Tory James.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 04:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Heard they are shopping Gabe and Whitehead so they can make a run at Brady...

Yes, Gabe is a tough sumbitch, this is what I like in my O-lineman instead of softies like Glenn.

AMEN! 

Reply/Quote
[Image: 29080890531_74dbf46f3e.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I believe they're gonna go after a couple upper end Defensive guys. They may try for a mid level guard ? I just hope they can land a couple to free up draft some.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 09:32 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe they're gonna go after a couple upper end Defensive guys. They may try for a mid level guard ? I just hope they can land a couple to free up draft some.

That's kind of what I see, as well.  They'll try to put out the biggest fires with free agents, then go to build through the draft.  (I just hope they made some changes as to talent evaluators this year)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This free agency period should tell us a lot about the influence this coaching staff is having on the organization. Getting ZT so late stunted free agency last year IMO. I think they didn't make too many moves because they didn't feel they had a good evaluation of the current talent and fit with their schemes.

Now, with a year under their belt, they may be more confident in what they need and who is expendable. I expect this to translate into more moves in FA this year and possibly attaining higher quality FAs than we are used to.

Time will tell, but I'm hopeful that this organization is finally open to change and that last year was a dead year due to the timing of everything.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 09:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's kind of what I see, as well.  They'll try to put out the biggest fires with free agents, then go to build through the draft.  (I just hope they made some changes as to talent evaluators this year)

Yup. Thought of this today. If they can plug a few big holes in FA it could help them a bunch in the draft. Maybe be a little more offense heavy to help Burrow with more weapons and /or do some trade downs to acquire more picks to help the over all talent of the team.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 10:28 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Yup. Thought of this today. If they can plug a few big holes in FA it could help them a bunch in the draft. Maybe be a little more offense heavy to help Burrow with more weapons and /or do some trade downs to acquire more picks to help the over all talent of the team.

Check out my first Mock of the year Gdale_Bengal. It goes off the assumption we get a decent LB and Guard in FA.

In the Mock Draft forum of course. Think you will like it. Joe
Reply/Quote
I figure a LB ,CB, or DE on defense, and a G or T on offense.
I mean honestly, we could use upgrades at a few positions, so if they accomplish that, I will be satisfied with free agency.
Ts, I expect the FA's signed to be proven commodities, for a change!
Reply/Quote
What I expect and what i hope for are completely different. And what i hope for doesn't necessarily involve a SsssupaStaaahhh.
We need some talent, though.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 09:51 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: This free agency period should tell us a lot about the influence this coaching staff is having on the organization. Getting ZT so late stunted free agency last year IMO. I think they didn't make too many moves because they didn't feel they had a good evaluation of the current talent and fit with their schemes.

Now, with a year under their belt, they may be more confident in what they need and who is expendable. I expect this to translate into more moves in FA this year and possibly attaining higher quality FAs than we are used to.

Time will tell, but I'm hopeful that this organization is finally open to change and that last year was a dead year due to the timing of everything.

I feel the same way. Was even pretty bummed that the Rams made the SB last year because it ate up important offseason scouting time and evaluating what we already had. Much different after going through a full season, especially a 2-14 season. You learn a lot about what you have then. 

I agree with the thinking that we will probably go after a bigger name or 2 on D and second level guys on OL. As far as LB and OL is concerned, it wont even take top tier to get better because we are so weak, but the better the better. We need a QB of the defense and Id love to see a really good LB here to play with Pratt. Definitely excited to see what direction we go. We have enough resources between money, expendable players and excellent draft position that could set this team up for a long time if they do this right. This is a big offseason.
Reply/Quote
Quote:Stockholm syndrome
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stockholm syndrome is a condition in which hostages develop a psychological alliance with their captors during captivity.[1] Emotional bonds may be formed, between captor and captives, during intimate time together, but these are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims. The FBI's Hostage Barricade Database System and Law Enforcement Bulletin indicate that roughly 8% of victims show evidence of Stockholm syndrome. [2][3] About ninety-six percent of victims involve suicide, domestic violence, and include people with previous relationships with the abuser.[4]

This term was first used by the media in 1973 when four hostages were taken during a bank robbery in Stockholm, Sweden. The hostages defended their captors after being released and would not agree to testify in court against them.[5] Stockholm syndrome is paradoxical because the sympathetic sentiments that captives feel towards their captors are the opposite of the fear and disdain which an onlooker might feel towards the captors.

There are four key components that characterize Stockholm syndrome:

A hostage's development of positive feelings towards the captor
No previous relationship between hostage and captor
A refusal by hostages to cooperate with police forces and other government authorities (unless the captors themselves happen to be members of police forces or government authorities).
A hostage's belief in the humanity of the captor because they cease to perceive the captor as a threat when the victim holds the same values as the aggressor[2]

Stockholm syndrome is a "contested illness" due to doubt about the legitimacy of the condition.[5] It has also come to describe the reactions of some abuse victims beyond the context of kidnappings or hostage-taking. Actions and attitudes similar to those suffering from Stockholm syndrome have also been found in victims of sexual abuse, human trafficking, terror, and political and religious oppression.[5]

Having said that, I know I should know better, but I have hope that we do something shocking in FA this season. Mikey Boy has to know that he's about to lose his fanbase. He has to have a strong FA AND and a strong draft (ie: draft Joe Burrow) in order to prevent a mass exodus in 2021 or 22.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 10:46 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I figure a LB ,CB, or DE on defense, and a G or T on offense.
I mean honestly, we could use upgrades at a few positions, so if they accomplish that, I will be satisfied with free agency.
Ts, I expect the FA's signed to be proven commodities, for a change!

It's driving me nuts, so I will ask. What is "Ts"?
Reply/Quote
I don't know how successful they'll be at signing players, but I expect to at least see our name attached to some more well known players when it comes to offers and visits.

Although I see us going after a LB to line up next to Pratt.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
[Image: go-ahead-and-kick-the-tire.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
My prediction is that they will spend more money than usual but it will be to grossly overpay a couple of mediocre players. Who can’t see that happening? The players will of course either be coming off of a major injury or have character questions.
Reply/Quote
I expect them to add some legit big bodies on the OL. I'm fine with them giving Michael Jordan the keys at LG, maybe he does have what it takes to follow in Boling's footsteps but that means they have to go get a legit option at RG and I don't care about any stats that you find on any platform, Bobby Hart has to go. Whether you get lucky and a RT falls in the draft or you sign somebody like a Marcus Gilbert who despite some injuries has shown he still can play. Maybe a Demar Dotson as well. He shouldn't break the bank too much due to his age. You can't have a rookie QB and expect Jonah and Hopkins to carry the load on that line. Solidify at least 4/5 spots.

We've been hearing the rumors of a complete reset at CB with the exception of WJ3 and Phillips, which I welcome. This is under the assumption that they'll cut Kirkpatrick. I don't think they go for Byron Jones but I think they'll be in the hunt for Chris Harris, Bradley Roby, Brian Poole (who they were interested in last year), and maybe even Kendall Fuller? Then I expect CB at pick 33.

LB: I think they sign and draft one as they think they have a starter in Pratt so I don't expect them to pay for the Littletons and Schoberts. Nick Kwiatkoski is a slightly better tackling version of Nick Vigil and Blake Martinez might be a target as well. They sign another vet like Nigel Bradham for depth and I think they'll try to draft Troy Dye or Gaither-Davis with the 3rd round pick we hope to get for Dalton.

DE: I think they'll kick the tires as you can't rely on Lawson for a whole year and Dunlap missed some games for the first time last year but I don't expect anything big. If they don't get Wolfe, then they'll look for a guy that's similar to Chris Smith. Benson Mayowa is someone I think fits that mold.

DT: They've talked about limiting Geno's snaps but I don't think they do that with an FA signing unless they are able to secure Wolfe who can play inside if needed. They'll hope to get lucky in the draft to groom someone as his replacement and that Andrew Brown can take snaps at DT. I think they should go after Javon Hargrave but I won't hold my breath.

I think all of these are doable and an FA that consists of:

Graham Glasgow
Demar Dotson/Bryan Buluga
Brian Poole
Nick Kwiatkoski
Nigel Bradham
Benson Mayowa

does more than enough and definitely opens up the draft a little while not spending the entire cap. You're comfortable not taking OL for at least 4 rounds and you can take whoever the best player is at CB/EDGE/LB/WR in rounds 2-3. Again, this is where the Dalton trade for an extra 3rd would really help. Also, if the Bengals take, say, Zach Baun at 33, that takes LB off the board as they feel the guys that they signed along with Baun's versatility takes care of LB and you can expect S to be talked about. Round 4-5 I think they draft another developmental DT and an OT to groom due to the age of Bulaga/Dotson. Round 6 & 7 they take BPA which will probably be another WR and a developmental CB.
Reply/Quote