Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Agency expectations?
(03-10-2020, 06:54 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Can you clarify by a ranking your definition of a B level guy? I see many sites rank the FA's each year.

For example AJ Green is a top 10 t0 20 FA among over 300 of them. I would think that makes him A+.

I know some like to think our former players under contract are already ours, but the fact is we have to sign AJ for example or he can go elsewhere.

I look at it as in day 2 or 3 guys. To the OP, they'll definitely sign two defensive guys, my bet being a quality CB and high rotational LB, but not tier 1 guys. Offense, they'll sign a rotational guard, but will not sign a high priced one.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 01:13 AM)sandwedge Wrote: It's driving me nuts, so I will ask. What is "Ts"?

Tackle's. Not sure why they think it will be more than one though
Reply/Quote
I agree with those saying the focus will likely be on defense. I think the priority level being CB, LB, DL with CB being the only position where they could spend $10M+/year. I wouldn't be surprised if they double up on LB with one guy being in the $6M-$8M range and another as a backup/ST guy.

The position I want them pursue but don't think it'll happen through free agency is Safety. It seems like every year there is a very good safety or two available close to training camp that signs for a few million less than expected.

I'm starting to think OL isn't going to happen in free agency. I think Scherff will get franchised and Thuney & Glasglow are going to command too much. Fieler will likely get a 1st or 2nd round tender. I think it'll be addressed in the first 3 rounds.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 02:18 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: My prediction is that they will spend more money than usual but it will be to grossly overpay a couple of mediocre players. Who can’t see that happening? The players will of course either be coming off of a major injury or have character questions.

Sad to say but this is likely given past precedent
Reply/Quote
Sorry to break this to you all but we will not be spending any significant resources (free agent money or high draft picks) on OT. We have our starters.
Reply/Quote
What's everyone's surprise roster moves you think the Bengals will make on the current roster?
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 01:13 AM)sandwedge Wrote: It's driving me nuts, so I will ask. What is "Ts"?

You would know if it was T's nuts! :)

Just kidding! I was referencing tackle. I probably should have used OT. Currently, I think we may be alright at G. It's OT that is still a very questionable personnel group.
Reply/Quote
While I do expect them to cut/trade Dalton and Glenn, and to use much of the $70+ million in cap space, I wouldn't be shocked to see them scrape the bottom of the barrel and overpay some bad players. They set that precedent with Bobby Hart, then paying Gio as a top 15-20 back, while giving him a grand total of 83 touches.

This team is just loaded with players who are overpaid for what we're getting out of them. Hart, Bernard, AJ Green, Eifert, Glenn, DreKirk, etc.

So it wouldn't shock me to see them overpay some bad and/or injury prone players. I think what the Bengals don't want to admit, is that even when they have a great amount of cap space, it's a struggle to sign good players when you don't offer much guaranteed money. Until I see them change that philosophy, it'll never be a "new dey".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 10:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Sorry to break this to you all but we will not be spending any significant resources (free agent money or high draft picks) on OT. We have our starters.

I don't think they will break the bank on one, but I'm almost certain that we will acquire one via free agency or the draft. 

We all know that you like Hart, and that's alright. Ts, after Williams (unproven/rookie), Johnson (basically, unproven), and Hart, that group is pretty thin. Remember, that Cordy will most likely be gone. They will definitely be bringing in some depth at the very least.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 01:02 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I don't think they will break the bank on one, but I'm almost certain that we will acquire one via free agency or the draft. 

We all know that you like Hart, and that's alright. Ts, after Williams (unproven/rookie), Johnson (basically, unproven), and Hart, that group is pretty thin. Remember, that Cordy will most likely be gone. They will definitely be bringing in some depth at the very least.

Bobby Hart would be nice as a poor man's Anthony Collins...if we could get him at a lower price.

Not sure why we wouldn't want to get better at that spot, with a sparkly new franchise QB coming in.

Do we really want Bobby Hart protecting our best QB prospect ever?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 01:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Do we really want Bobby Hart protecting our best QB prospect ever?

Why not

There were 64 players that started at least 8 games as an OT last year and played at least 500 snaps.  If you look at snaps per (sacks allowed + holding penalties) Hart ranked 13th among those 64.  He also ranked 25th in sacks per snap. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 01:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why not

There were 64 players that started at least 8 games as an OT last year and played at least 500 snaps.  If you look at snaps per (sacks allowed + holding penalties) Hart ranked 13th among those 64.  He also ranked 25th in sacks per snap. 

If Hart is our starting right tackle, I'll remember this thread the first time a defensive end blows right by him like the turnstile he is and leaves our bright, shiny, new superstar quarterback in a heap.
Reply/Quote
FA's they will sign whoever they want that fits their scheme for the right price.
I predict:
2 DL
1 LB
1 CB
Possible:
Trade for RG (most likely) or RT.
All except maybe the OL will be 27 or younger.

Tag AJ if won't re-up for 3 years at 15mil
Gone will be AD and Glenn,
Other possibles are Gio, Dre, Hart

Draft:
Burrow
LB/WR
LB/WR/CB/S
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 02:45 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: If Hart is our starting right tackle, I'll remember this thread the first time a defensive end blows right by him like the turnstile he is and leaves our bright, shiny, new superstar quarterback in a heap.

All QBs get hit. The ability to avoid the rush is a very underrated quality. When tackles go against good pass rushers the rushers win sometimes. I believe that Burrow has a knack for avoiding the rush and is able to throw while doing it. I will admit that I only saw him play three games but his mobility was a major factor in winning all three of those games including vs. Clemson's#1 collegiate defense .
Reply/Quote

Offensive Tackles.

(03-11-2020, 03:15 AM)Whodey614 Wrote: I expect them to add some legit big bodies on the OL. I'm fine with them giving Michael Jordan the keys at LG, maybe he does have what it takes to follow in Boling's footsteps but that means they have to go get a legit option at RG and I don't care about any stats that you find on any platform, Bobby Hart has to go. Whether you get lucky and a RT falls in the draft or you sign somebody like a Marcus Gilbert who despite some injuries has shown he still can play. Maybe a Demar Dotson as well. He shouldn't break the bank too much due to his age. You can't have a rookie QB and expect Jonah and Hopkins to carry the load on that line. Solidify at least 4/5 spots.

We've been hearing the rumors of a complete reset at CB with the exception of WJ3 and Phillips, which I welcome. This is under the assumption that they'll cut Kirkpatrick. I don't think they go for Byron Jones but I think they'll be in the hunt for Chris Harris, Bradley Roby, Brian Poole (who they were interested in last year), and maybe even Kendall Fuller? Then I expect CB at pick 33.

LB: I think they sign and draft one as they think they have a starter in Pratt so I don't expect them to pay for the Littletons and Schoberts. Nick Kwiatkoski is a slightly better tackling version of Nick Vigil and Blake Martinez might be a target as well. They sign another vet like Nigel Bradham for depth and I think they'll try to draft Troy Dye or Gaither-Davis with the 3rd round pick we hope to get for Dalton.

DE: I think they'll kick the tires as you can't rely on Lawson for a whole year and Dunlap missed some games for the first time last year but I don't expect anything big. If they don't get Wolfe, then they'll look for a guy that's similar to Chris Smith. Benson Mayowa is someone I think fits that mold.

DT: They've talked about limiting Geno's snaps but I don't think they do that with an FA signing unless they are able to secure Wolfe who can play inside if needed. They'll hope to get lucky in the draft to groom someone as his replacement and that Andrew Brown can take snaps at DT. I think they should go after Javon Hargrave but I won't hold my breath.

I think all of these are doable and an FA that consists of:

Graham Glasgow
Demar Dotson/Bryan Buluga
Brian Poole
Nick Kwiatkoski
Nigel Bradham
Benson Mayowa

does more than enough and definitely opens up the draft a little while not spending the entire cap. You're comfortable not taking OL for at least 4 rounds and you can take whoever the best player is at CB/EDGE/LB/WR in rounds 2-3. Again, this is where the Dalton trade for an extra 3rd would really help. Also, if the Bengals take, say, Zach Baun at 33, that takes LB off the board as they feel the guys that they signed along with Baun's versatility takes care of LB and you can expect S to be talked about. Round 4-5 I think they draft another developmental DT and an OT to groom due to the age of Bulaga/Dotson. Round 6 & 7 they take BPA which will probably be another WR and a developmental CB.

Nice post man, said a lot of things I haven't heard on here before. Haven't heard players like Gilbert, Dotson or Mayowa 
mentioned yet. Would love that FA haul, I certainly can understand your thoughts on Corner as it does seem we are going
to shake it up a bit and maybe cut Kirkpatrick. We know you cannot have enough good Corners, the key is good Corners.

I actually like Bradham better than Kwiatkoski the more I study up about their tackling but Braham is older so there is that
in Nick's favor. To get both would be ideal with our lack of depth at the position.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 02:56 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote:  All QBs get hit. The ability to avoid the rush is a very underrated quality. When tackles go against good pass rushers the rushers win sometimes. I believe that Burrow has a knack for avoiding the rush and is able to throw while doing it. I will admit that I only saw him play three games but his mobility was a major factor in winning all three of those games including vs. Clemson's#1 collegiate defense .

It's true, all QB's get hit from time to time, but you want to limit the amount of hits your QB takes. If Burrow is our pick, and I'm 99.9% sure he will be, then he darn well better have the ability to avoid the rush if the Bengals don't address the oline in the draft or free agency. Mr. Toast always has stats to back up his claims, but sometimes his stats do not paint the whole picture, for example Andy Dalton's fast release point at 2.21 seconds. Dalton can't be sacked if he already has thrown the ball.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 02:45 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: If Hart is our starting right tackle, I'll remember this thread the first time a defensive end blows right by him like the turnstile he is and leaves our bright, shiny, new superstar quarterback in a heap.

And I'll ask for a list of all the OTs who did not allow a single sack.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 10:29 AM)bengals67 Wrote: Sad to say but this is likely given past precedent

Part of that is players not wanting to play here but ownership has brought that all on itself. It’s just the fruit of their past labor, coupled with an obvious laziness. Skiing trips don’t help too much with PR.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 03:25 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: It's true, all QB's get hit from time to time, but you want to limit the amount of hits your QB takes. If Burrow is our pick, and I'm 99.9% sure he will be, then he darn well better have the ability to avoid the rush if the Bengals don't address the oline in the draft or free agency. Mr. Toast always has stats to back up his claims, but sometimes his stats do not paint the whole picture, for example Andy Dalton's fast release point at 2.21 seconds. Dalton can't be sacked if he already has thrown the ball.

I wish we would go out and get Conklin and Glasgow but I doubt that happens. I think this would be the only way we wouldn't 
have Hart starting this season, if we added Conklin. But he is the top tier OT out there, he will command a lot of dough, doubt 
this happens. Need to draft a OT somewhat early i think. My Mock that I used on TDN had Bartch falling to the 4th and Jon 
Runyan falling to the 7th which isn't going to happen IMO.

What is nice is it a very deep draft for Inside O-lineman. Could get a very good one in the mid rounds.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 03:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And I'll ask for a list of all the OTs who did not allow a single sack.

...and if the Bengals "roll" with this line minus Cordy Glenn, I'll ask for the list of most sacks and HURRIES allowed by line. Better hope Burrow has a good 3 step drop and fast release, he's gonna need it.
Reply/Quote