Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Agents/Resigns for 2024
Ok just curious to see what we could do with our cap luxury this offseason, and what would you do to address our areas of need:

Cap Casulties:
1) Nick Scott- just a liability in our defense 2.3 million savings

Re-Signs: ( all will be inexpensive except for TEE)

1) Jake Browning
2) Cal Adomitis
3) Tanner Hudson
4) Drew Sample
5) Cody Ford
6) ADG
7) Markus Bailey
8) Trent Irwin
9) Tee Higgins- Franchise tag

Outside Free Agents:

1) Noah Fant TE-(Seattle)- I'm sold I think he could really open up the middle of the field.
2) Trent Brown-RT- (NE)- I think he would be a solid 1-2 year guy for the RT spot to groom a draft pick.
3) Eli Apple-CB (Miami)- knows the system, solid vet to add to the secondary.
4) Taylor Rapp-S (Buffalo)- vet. who would fill a solid backup/ST role

Draft- rds (1-4)

1) Rome Odunze-WR (Washington) 6'3 215, will take over for TEE in 2025, elite X receiver.
2) Byron Murphy-DT- (Texas) 6'1 310 IDL, can stuff the run/ rush the passer.
3) Tyler Guyton-RT (Oklahoma) 6'7 330 built for RT, can ease in behind Brown.
4) Cam Hart- CB-(ND) 6'2 202, will replace Awozie as the depth piece
Reply/Quote
1) Jake Browning will get paid. It won't be extravagant but will be far more than the league minimum.

2) Trent Brown runs his mouth too much. He was accused by his teammates of not putting in an effort to play. I can not see him ever playing for Zac Taylor who puts so such importance on character and team.

3) Eli Apple is not coming back to Cincinnati. He was a last-minute signee in 2022 and didn't even receive an offer in 2023.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2024, 07:39 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: Ok just curious to see what we could do with our cap luxury this offseason, and what would you do to address our areas of need:

Cap Casulties:
1) Nick Scott- just a liability in our defense 2.3 million savings

Re-Signs: ( all will be inexpensive except for TEE)

1) Jake Browning
2) Cal Adomitis
3) Tanner Hudson
4) Drew Sample
5) Cody Ford
6) ADG
7) Markus Bailey
8) Trent Irwin
9) Tee Higgins- Franchise tag

Outside Free Agents:

1) Noah Fant TE-(Seattle)- I'm sold I think he could really open up the middle of the field.
2) Trent Brown-RT- (NE)- I think he would be a solid 1-2 year guy for the RT spot to groom a draft pick.
3) Eli Apple-CB (Miami)- knows the system, solid vet to add to the secondary.
4) Taylor Rapp-S (Buffalo)- vet. who would fill a solid backup/ST role

Draft- rds (1-4)

1) Rome Odunze-WR (Washington) 6'3 215, will take over for TEE in 2025, elite X receiver.
2) Byron Murphy-DT- (Texas) 6'1 310 IDL, can stuff the run/ rush the passer.
3) Tyler Guyton-RT (Oklahoma) 6'7 330 built for RT, can ease in behind Brown.
4) Cam Hart- CB-(ND) 6'2 202, will replace Awozie as the depth piece

Walter Football, Pro Football Network, USA Today, 33rd Team, Bleacher Report, and The Athletic have all put a first-round grade on Guyton. Odunze won’t be available when we draft at 18. Like a lot of the others.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2024, 08:27 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Walter Football, Pro Football Network, USA Today, 33rd Team, Bleacher Report, and The Athletic have all put a first-round grade on Guyton. Odunze won’t be available when we draft at 18. Like a lot of the others.

Teams reach for tackles especially an athletically gifted one like Guyton but next week at the Senior Bowl will really determine is draft stock. His combine numbers are already expected to be great and the reason he's a top 50 prospect right now.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2024, 08:44 PM)Synric Wrote: Teams reach for tackles especially an athletically gifted one like Guyton but next week at the Senior Bowl will really determine is draft stock. His combine numbers are already expected to be great and the reason he's a top 50 prospect right now.

Obviously I’m very aware of Guyton as a season ticket holder and know several OU coaches. And you are right. He was a TE early in college as well. So he’s still learning . OU’s Bedenbaugh was miffed at him as he got a minor injury about game 9 then shut it down as he knows he’s going high. Interested in his bench reps.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2024, 07:51 PM)pally Wrote: 1) Jake Browning will get paid.   It won't be extravagant but will be far more than the league minimum.

He's an Exclusive Rights FA. All they have to do is tender him for 1yr/league minimum and he is automatically a Bengal.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2024, 07:51 PM)pally Wrote: 1) Jake Browning will get paid.   It won't be extravagant but will be far more than the league minimum.

How? He is an ERFA. Unless we trade him or he agrees to a team friendly multi year contract I don't see how he isn't playing on a 1 year cheap deal. He has no negotiating power. I'll be unhappy if we pay a backup more money than we could. Maximizing value when trying to build a championship roster should include taking advantage of a tender to secure a decent backup QB.

We have the most expensive QB already. I feel like having a cheap backup is huge. And we should have Browning cheap for 2 more years.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2024, 08:53 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Obviously I’m very aware of Guyton as a season ticket holder and know several OU coaches. And you are right. He was a TE early in college as well. So he’s still learning . OU’s Bedenbaugh was miffed at him as he got a minor injury about game 9 then shut it down as he knows he’s going high. Interested in his bench reps.

He was a DL in high-school lol. I like him better than Anton Harrison from last year but he is all projection. Daniel Jeremiah has him going to the Eagles in round 1 so he can sit behind Lane Johnson that is his best first round fit. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2024, 09:26 PM)Synric Wrote: He was a DL in high-school lol. I like him better than Anton Harrison from last year but he is all projection. Daniel Jeremiah has him going to the Eagles in round 1 so he can sit behind Lane Johnson that is his best first round fit. 

Hang in there
TCU
2021 | REDSHIRT FRESHMAN
Played in eight games while making a start at H-back against Oklahoma ... split time throughout the season between offensive tackle and H-back ... caught a 6-yard touchdown pass at Iowa State.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2024, 09:31 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Hang in there
TCU
2021 | REDSHIRT FRESHMAN
Played in eight games while making a start at H-back against Oklahoma ... split time throughout the season between offensive tackle and H-back ... caught a 6-yard touchdown pass at Iowa State.

I know I'm just saying he is an athlete that hasn't really locked down a position until really transferring to Oklahoma last year.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2024, 09:53 PM)Synric Wrote: I know I'm just saying he is an athlete that hasn't really locked down a position until really transferring to Oklahoma last year.

He’s a large human being. Coach B told me he was really excited about him when he got here and he did a nice job with him after transferring from TCU. It was Coach B who told me he was a TE lol blame him. He’s only started about 15 games as a tackle at OU & TCU.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2024, 08:58 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's an Exclusive Rights FA. All they have to do is tender him for 1yr/league minimum and he is automatically a Bengal.

I know that but they aren't going to screw him over by paying league minimum.  I'm guessing market value is somewhere in the  $4-6 million range. I see the Bengals offering in the $2-4 million range.  Acknowledging he is worth more than minimum but not breaking the bank

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2024, 08:58 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's an Exclusive Rights FA. All they have to do is tender him for 1yr/league minimum and he is automatically a Bengal.

I agree

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2024, 10:01 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: He’s a large human being. Coach B told me he was really excited about him when he got here and he did a nice job with him after transferring from TCU. It was Coach B who told me he was a TE lol blame him. He’s only started about 15 games as a tackle at OU & TCU.

So would Guyton be a reach at #18
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2024, 10:50 PM)pally Wrote: I know that but they aren't going to screw him over by paying league minimum.  I'm guessing market value is somewhere in the  $4-6 million range. I see the Bengals offering in the $2-4 million range.  Acknowledging he is worth more than minimum but not breaking the bank

Highly doubt it. 

He's already going from $750k (2023 min for 0 years of service time) to $915k (2024 with 1 year of service time), and the NFL specifically has a pool of money that they divide out to players who were later round draft picks but end up seeing a lot of playing time.

https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2023%20Football%20Information/03%2017%2023%20-%20Performance-Based%20Pay.pdf
From the results of the 2022 season: Volson got over $850k, Logan Wilson got almost $670k.

Then there's things later like Proven Performance Escalators (which is why Tee will make $10.1m on his 4yr/$8.68m rookie deal) and the like to make sure guys also get some more money if they perform while under cheap team control.

So I doubt the Bengals are just going to throw an extra $1.1-3.1m more at him for nothing in return. Not to mention then it is setting a standard for any future exclusive rights free agent the Bengals ever have. If they DON'T pay them more than the minimum after doing it as a gift to Browning, they're insulting them by saying that they aren't worth it to the team.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2024, 12:12 AM)sandwedge Wrote: So would Guyton be a reach at #18

Yes he would.

Reply/Quote

2) Trent Brown runs his mouth too much.  He was accused by his teammates of not putting in an effort to play.  I can not see him ever playing for Zac Taylor who puts so such importance on character and team.  

3) Eli Apple is not coming back to Cincinnati.  He was a last-minute signee in 2022 and didn't even receive an offer in 2023.

Jake Browning is an ERFA, from reports I have seen.
It should be rather easy to retain him if the Bengals want.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2024, 10:50 PM)pally Wrote: I know that but they aren't going to screw him over by paying league minimum.  I'm guessing market value is somewhere in the  $4-6 million range. I see the Bengals offering in the $2-4 million range.  Acknowledging he is worth more than minimum but not breaking the bank

How does this make any sense?  Why would we pay 4 to 6 times his contracted rate?

Jake is likely gone after next year.  If the Bengals do this then they are beyond stupid, that extra 3-6M is our vet CB or replacement for Scott at Safety or any number of uses.  

We only had 6 players with a base salary over 5M this past season.  If they give Browning anything over his contracted rate it would be.... it just doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

via GIPHY

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2024, 03:20 PM)casear2727 Wrote: How does this make any sense?  Why would we pay 4 to 6 times his contracted rate?

Jake is likely gone after next year.  If the Bengals do this then they are beyond stupid, that extra 3-6M is our vet CB or replacement for Scott at Safety or any number of uses.  

We only had 6 players with a base salary over 5M this past season.  If they give Browning anything over his contracted rate it would be.... it just doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

via GIPHY

First i believe your math is off it would be interesting 2 to 4 range over minimum if they give him 2 to 4 million.  As why give him anything more I see that argument but on flipside his performance warrants more plus who knows how Burrow is going do to in recovery,  I prefer a happy backup and rewarding him an extra 1 million to 2 million is not going to disrupt much. I actually would try to entice him with a 2 yr contract or maybe pay base with incentives,  Burrow track record is not great , hate to lose a quality backup
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2024, 03:20 PM)casear2727 Wrote: How does this make any sense?  Why would we pay 4 to 6 times his contracted rate?

via GIPHY

I said his MARKET rate was $4-6 million, not that is what I expect him to get from the Bengals.  I expect him to get a performance reward.  Giving him $2 million vs $1 million is not going to break the bank.  The Bengals do not always tender their ERFAs so this is an unusual situation.  With Joe's situation being uncertain let's not screw over his back up for minimal saving

Reply/Quote