Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Free agent tier list google doc and projected cap hits
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQ0HjFVbu75BRiKq7WFMuB0gmKfa3XWS-Opa5tJji4-yETftjK8keiw3RSlQvtrKRs1kb37xehjQ-Ar/pubhtml

Shout out to the boys from the 'Locked On Bengals' podcast for making this. Very helpful in visualizing what cap hits may look like with the current potential FA targets.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
Love this! First thing I notice is how much lower the 'first year cap hit' is than I expected it to be with some of the middle tier OL. Thanks for sharing!
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 12:08 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQ0HjFVbu75BRiKq7WFMuB0gmKfa3XWS-Opa5tJji4-yETftjK8keiw3RSlQvtrKRs1kb37xehjQ-Ar/pubhtml

Shout out to the boys from the 'Locked On Bengals' podcast for making this.  Very helpful in visualizing what cap hits may look like with the current potential FA targets.

Very useful sir, thank you very much

+rep to you :]

Who Dey
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 12:08 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQ0HjFVbu75BRiKq7WFMuB0gmKfa3XWS-Opa5tJji4-yETftjK8keiw3RSlQvtrKRs1kb37xehjQ-Ar/pubhtml

Shout out to the boys from the 'Locked On Bengals' podcast for making this.  Very helpful in visualizing what cap hits may look like with the current potential FA targets.

be interesting to see the Actuals fill in
Reply/Quote
$34.6m in current cap space...
Release CB Waynes (+$10.8m)
Release C Hopkins (+$6m)
$42.4m in cap space...
Trade S Bates for a 2nd (+$12.9m)
$55.3m in cap space...
Trade Bengals 2nd, 63rd overall, for RT La'el Collins (-$10m)
Sign C Bradley Bozeman (-$7.4m 1st year cap)
Sign G Austin Corbett (-$7.8m 1st year cap)
Sign G James Daniels (-$9.4m 1st year cap)
$20.7m in cap space
Sign TE Rob Gronkowski (-$7m)
Sign CB DJ Reed (-$6.2m 1st year cap)
$7.5m in cap space
Draft S Dax Hill in the 1st round.
Draft DT Devonta Wyatt in the 2nd round with improved 2nd round pick from Bates.

Pretty sure that checks all the boxes of needs. Sure would have liked to be able to fit Bobby Wagner in there somewhere. A future HoFer to lead the defense at LB would have been nice, but oh well.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 09:56 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: $34.6m in current cap space...
Release C Hopkins (+$6m)
$42.4m in cap space...
$55.3m in cap space...
$20.7m in cap space
$7.5m in cap space
Draft DT Devonta Wyatt in the 2nd round with improved 2nd round pick from Bates.

Pretty sure that checks all the boxes of needs. Sure would have liked to be able to fit Bobby Wagner in there somewhere. A future HoFer to lead the defense at LB would have been nice, but oh well.

This would be great but I think we can get a pick out of Dallas instead of a straight trade.

Putting a lot of pressure on the rookie safety, might consider a vet on a 1 year deal as insurance as well. Maye coming off an injury? (he is really good but could be a discount, maybe)

We both know the Bengals wont sign 2 guards, we will be lucky if they sign one.

That 2nd we pick up better be pretty high to get Wyatt.

Interesting for sure.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 09:56 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pretty sure that checks all the boxes of needs.

So Ogunjobi, Hill, and Tupou are all replaced by one second round pick starting as a rookie?

Bates also replaced by a rookie starter taken at #31?

Not going to happen.  Most late first/second round players don't start as rookies.  Can't see trusting two rookie draft picks to fill crucial roles as starters.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 09:56 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: $34.6m in current cap space...
Release C Hopkins (+$6m)
$42.4m in cap space...
$55.3m in cap space...
$20.7m in cap space
$7.5m in cap space

I don't see any way the Bengals trade Bates after tagging him.
If anything, they'll draft a safety early and groom him behind Bates for the year before taking over next year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 11:06 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't see any way the Bengals trade Bates after tagging him.
If anything, they'll draft a safety early and groom him behind Bates for the year before taking over next year.

only if he says he wont play on the tag potentially.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 11:08 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: only if he says he wont play on the tag potentially.

Irrelevant - as that is just posturing.  The players have ZERO leverage with the tag. which is one reason why they hate it.  He hasn't gotten paid yet.  It is very doubtful he has a large bank account to protect his position and he will get fined on top of getting no income.

If he says he won't play under the tag, it's posturing, and everyone SHOULD know that.....you can bet the FO knows it.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 11:08 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: only if he says he wont play on the tag potentially.

I can't see that happening.  I would think that much of the NFL community would have an unfavorable opinion of that sort of behavior.  $13+M is a righteous sum for his services, it's not like he's getting leveraged into playing for vet minimum or anything close to it.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Fair, but I find that highly unlikely.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Every player complains about getting tagged. That is no big deal.

But they always play under the tag.  They know they have zero leverage.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 11:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Every player complains about getting tagged. That is no big deal.

But they always play under the tag.  They know they have zero leverage.

Le'Veon Bell didn't one year I thought. Chose to sit out to not add tread to the tires.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 11:28 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Le'Veon Bell didn't one year I thought. Chose to sit out to not add tread to the tires.

I was about to post, I thought Bell sat out. I don't think Bates would ever come close to making such a move, but I suppose the general fandom worry is that since Bates openly shared with the media the contract situation affected his play are we going to see a repeat of that this upcoming season? Hopefully, he realizes he's in a good spot and plays well. If he doesn't, I assume some of his coaches and peers will hold him accountable.
Reply/Quote
I actually forgot Glowinski was an FA. That is a very underrated option I think at guard and would be really affordable.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 11:28 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Le'Veon Bell didn't one year I thought. Chose to sit out to not add tread to the tires.

And that was the end of his career as a decent player.

In 2017 Bell had 1946 yards from scrimmage in 15 games.  Since then he has played for 4 different teams and gained 1847 yards from scrimmage in 34 games over 3 seasons.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 11:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So Ogunjobi, Hill, and Tupou are all replaced by one second round pick starting as a rookie?

Bates also replaced by a rookie starter taken at #31?

Not going to happen.  Most late first/second round players don't start as rookies.  Can't see trusting two rookie draft picks to fill crucial roles as starters.

I mean, you can take another DT in the 3rd or 4th or 5th. I didn't get that deep into the draft.

Yup, so the defense potentially gets worse. So be it, I am fine with that. That's the price to pay to guarantee Burrow the OL he deserves. You know what's a harder roster spot to fill than DTs and FSs? Legitimate franchise QBs. The Bengals have one, so protect him. You're going to have to take a hit somewhere because you can't fill your entire roster with quality vets. Somewhere some rookies and/or average players are going to have to be starters, and I would much prefer it to be on the defense than the OL.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 12:04 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You're going to have to take a hit somewhere because you can't fill your entire roster with quality vets. Somewhere some rookies and/or average players are going to have to be starters, and I would much prefer it to be on the defense than the OL.

There is a big difference between rookies who are not ready to start and "average players".

"Average" starters are proven starters who are better than the guys on the bench and even better than the "poor starters".

If Burrow can not be successful unless he has 3 top WRs, a top RB, a top TE, and an elite O-line then we will never be able to afford him beyond his rookie contract.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 11:36 AM)Au165 Wrote: I actually forgot Glowinski was an FA. That is a very underrated option I think at guard and would be really affordable.

He is solid, I think PFF is way off his asking number.  The 3 yr 6M was what he signed for back in 2018, he will want more, IMO.

Reply/Quote