Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fresno State professor who mocked Barbara Bush’s death is getting a reality check
https://www.dailywire.com/news/29615/fresno-state-professor-who-bragged-she-couldnt-be-ryan-saavedra

She can be fired. Dancing on the grave of Barbara bush could affect her career. Honestly why would anyone allow someone like this work at their school. It’s crazy

Quote:Fresno State Professor Who Bragged She Couldn't Be Fired Gets Reality Check
Ryan SaavedraApril 18, 2018

Screenshot: englishEIU YouTube Video
On Wednesday, the Fresno State professor who bragged on social media that she couldn't be fired because she is tenured got a harsh reality check from Fresno State's Chief Academic Officer (CAO).

During a press conference that was held to address professor Randa Jarrar's offensive tweets, CAO Dr. Lynnette Zelezny said that tenured employees are not exempt from firing.

"The technical question you are asking me is: 'Does tenure mean that you technically cannot be fired?' Zelezny said. "The answer to that is no."

Clarifying her answer, Zelezny said, “You can be fired. There are certain processes that we have to follow but there are certainly situations where a tenured faculty person can be fired."

Following the backlash she received online, Jarrar locked her Twitter account and wrote that she is "currently on leave from Fresno State."

The Washington Post added that "her future interactions with students may be in question" as Zelezny did not outline any specific disciplinary actions against Jarrar, stating only that officials are going to meet with “all represented parties.”

Zelezny went on to state that Jarrar has been on leave for the entire current semester and that she is not currently teaching any classes.
The PC police win again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-18-2018, 11:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The PC police win again.

"Barbara Bush was a generous and smart and amazing racist who, along with her husband, raised a war criminal. Fuk outta here with your nice words."

She was free to express those words about a lady that had recently passed and folks should be free to hold her accountable for her words. Not sure what the PC police have to do with it. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(04-18-2018, 11:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  "Barbara Bush was a generous and smart and amazing racist who, along with her husband, raised a war criminal. Fuk outta here with your nice words."

She was free to express those words about a lady that had recently passed and folks should be free to hold her accountable for her words. Not sure what the PC police have to do with it. 

I'm being sarcastic.  Any time some idiot says something stupid and is then held accountable by a private organization people rush to complain about our overly PC society and/or they start erroneously claiming the right to free speech protects people from getting fired, etc.

I don't even use that sarcasm ninja.  You can't make me.  Free speech, yo.
What a classless and trashy asshole. I hope she's fired.

I also hope this same standard expressed by the OP is seen no matter the ideology of the offender.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(04-18-2018, 11:48 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: What a classless and trashy asshole. I hope she's fired.

I also hope this same standard expressed by the OP is seen no matter the ideology of the offender.

Honestly, I'm just jealous that no one will get fired for the inevitable celebration of my death.
(04-18-2018, 11:48 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: What a classless and trashy asshole. I hope she's fired.

Agreed

Barbara Bush was good and strong person. Personally, I admire her, even if I didn't always agree with the politics of her son. No cause for those trashy insults.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
I always admired Barbara Bush also. Seemed like a very classy lady. She shouldn't be to blame for what her dotard son did.
(04-18-2018, 11:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Honestly, I'm just jealous that no one will get fired for the inevitable celebration of my death.

When a celebrity passes I will often make a "too soon?" joke on a page I run.  It's a tribute to Joan Rivers who use to do that all the time...and I like to make the point that just because someone was famous it doesn't mean their death is any more important than anyone else who died that day.  And also that death should be something so feared that we cannot make light of it.

I make exceptions: War heros, people who fought off a disease and lost, people held only in the highest esteem, etc.

I caught flack once for making a joke about the girl who played the youngest child on the "Partridge Family."  People took that one WAY seriously for some reason.

I did NOT make a comment on Barbara Bush because a) She seemed like a honest, fine woman b) She fought a disease c) I was being lazy.

There are plenty of things one could say to criticize the late Mrs. Bush, and those can be discussed in the future.  In the OP case it was entirely "too soon" and too crass a way of discussing her flaws.  She has a "right" to say what she wants.  Her place of employment, however, can enforce their own rules and punish her for them.

FTR: The guy I share the page with, who I have known and worked with since 1992, agree that whichever of us outlives the other there better be a good joke made!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-18-2018, 11:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Honestly, I'm just jealous that no one will get fired for the inevitable celebration of my death.

Maybe we can get Benton to ban me instead... lol should we workshop this ...
This professor was not the only one dishing dirt on Barbara Bush after her death. This, from Roger Stone:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/roger-stone-disses-barbara-bush-nasty-drunk-news-132928624.html?soc_src=community&soc_trk=tw

Further evidence (as if we needed it) that here are asshole's on both sides of the political aisle.

Coward wouldn't have said that crap to her face when she was alive.
(04-18-2018, 11:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm being sarcastic.  Any time some idiot says something stupid and is then held accountable by a private organization people rush to complain about our overly PC society and/or they start erroneously claiming the right to free speech protects people from getting fired, etc.

I think the difference is when someone says something innocuous and yet is blasted for saying something offensive versus saying something truly offensive.
I have/had nothing against Barbara.  I'd sit and drink a bourbon with her any day of the week. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(04-19-2018, 01:45 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: This professor was not the only one dishing dirt on Barbara Bush after her death. This, from Roger Stone:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/roger-stone-disses-barbara-bush-nasty-drunk-news-132928624.html?soc_src=community&soc_trk=tw

Further evidence (as if we needed it) that here are asshole's on both sides of the political aisle.

(04-19-2018, 02:52 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I have/had nothing against Barbara.  I'd sit and drink a bourbon with her any day of the week. 

I was talking to a lady at lunch (she runs the business) and she said they called Barbara "The Enforcer".  I laughed and said she was married to a guy who fought in WWII, headed the CIA was VP AND POTUS but SHE was the enforcer!  Must have been a tough old broad!
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-19-2018, 01:45 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: This professor was not the only one dishing dirt on Barbara Bush after her death. This, from Roger Stone:

I don’t know much about the dude, but he’s associated with Republicans isnt he? I guess the 11th commandment doesn’t extend to family.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-19-2018, 08:14 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don’t know much about the dude, but he’s associated with Republicans isnt he?  I guess the 11th commandment doesn’t extend to family.

I'd say he is associated with some Republicans, namely Manafort and Trump. But I wouldn't want to taint the whole party with his slime.
Okay, I am confused.

Why the hell should someone be fired just for saying something insulting about the wife of a former President?

I don't get it.
(04-20-2018, 04:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Okay, I am confused.
Why the hell should someone be fired just for saying something insulting about the wife of a former President?
I don't get it.

Not sure why the 1st Amendment should apply to college professors.   They are liberals and not really Americans.
(04-18-2018, 11:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The PC police win again.

?? Who exactly are the people calling for her to be fired??

Are they the people who complain that conservative speech is silenced on campus

or the people supposed to silence conservative speech?  The latter are usually called "PC."
(04-18-2018, 11:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm being sarcastic.  Any time some idiot says something stupid and is then held accountable by a private organization people rush to complain about our overly PC society and/or they start erroneously claiming the right to free speech protects people from getting fired, etc.

Not a private organization.  Fresno STATE is part of the 23 university California system of public higher ed.