Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fullback
The Pats seemed to be able to figure out how to use the one we got rid of:
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 02:25 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: While we're on the subject of improving the running game, I thought I'd offer an alternative option that hasn't been disussed much on here.

What about running a split backfield, with both Mixon and Bernard in at the same time?

I think this could open up the running lanes a bit, by keeping the defense honest and off-guard.  Not to mention, Bernard is plenty servicable coming out of the backfield, so I'm not sure the pass game would suffer all that much by pulling a receiver in some of the sets.

You'd have two potential check down options, and you have a capable blocker in Bernard on thei field almost all of the time.  He could help pick up the blitz, or you can have him run slip screens.  You could use both of them to pick up defenders who beat our guys on the outside.

Just spitballing.  I think this is something creative we could use.

I never understood why the old Pro Formation (from the Madden games) died out in the league; I get there's an evolution to things, but not having it makes no sense (I believe it is the formation you're talking about):

https://www.reddit.com/r/MaddenMobileForums/comments/dfavpg/xbox_controller_play_audible/

The formation that says, "Split Back."

(09-24-2020, 02:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The Pats seemed to be able to figure out how to use the one we got rid of:

That's because they run an offense that can use it; we don't.

Also, if Pressley wasn't on the team, I guarantee you Jim would've been our FB.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
You can do a FB in this offense but you have to be smart about it. He needs to be a good pass catcher and athletic. 

If you're going to be throwing to the flat or throwing screens with the RB as the primary, you can do that with a FB plus it keeps the defense honest if you can throw out of that set successfully. 

1. Run the ball
2. Play action w/ the FB just beyond the LoS as a check down.

This is how a FB can be utilized. 

Probably a bit too late to do it this year though. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 02:53 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I never understood why the old Pro Formation (from the Madden games) died out in the league; I get there's an evolution to things, but not having it makes no sense (I believe it is the formation you're talking about):

https://www.reddit.com/r/MaddenMobileForums/comments/dfavpg/xbox_controller_play_audible/

The formation that says, "Split Back."

Yeah, that's it.  I think it also used to be called a "Pro Set" as well.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 03:16 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Yeah, that's it.  I think it also used to be called a "Pro Set" as well.

Indeed; in all of my old videogames, outside of Shotgun, it was always my go-to formation (well, that and 2TE, as Tony McGee is good in every football game).

Just makes no sense how in the, "modern NFL," that formation can't be used; baffling.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
While I love a power running game with a FB I don't know if I even saw a FB on that LSU team last year...

Still think we should be adapting THAT style of Offense here with more running out of the Shotgun. Burrow's Offense he
is comfortable with. Sure, if we had a bruising FB that was also a great pass catcher that might be a need here over a 4th
TE.

Just need to block better on that O-line till then though as this doesn't seem to be what this Offense does.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 02:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The Pats seemed to be able to figure out how to use the one we got rid of:

They do that a lot don't they? Develin still on the team eh? Haven't watched the Pats yet this year.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 02:25 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: While we're on the subject of improving the running game, I thought I'd offer an alternative option that hasn't been disussed much on here.

What about running a split backfield, with both Mixon and Bernard in at the same time?

I think this could open up the running lanes a bit, by keeping the defense honest and off-guard.  Not to mention, Bernard is plenty servicable coming out of the backfield, so I'm not sure the pass game would suffer all that much by pulling a receiver in some of the sets.

You'd have two potential check down options, and you have a capable blocker in Bernard on thei field almost all of the time.  He could help pick up the blitz, or you can have him run slip screens.  You could use both of them to pick up defenders who beat our guys on the outside.

Just spitballing.  I think this is something creative we could use.

Hell, I've been clamoring for that ever since Joe Mixon got here. Obviously, it's not something you'd use as the base offense, but there are a lot of advantages to it as you've noted.

As to the OP, I got a little flamed on the old mothership for wanting a full back on the team. I'd definitely still be for it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 05:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hell, I've been clamoring for that ever since Joe Mixon got here. Obviously, it's not something you'd use as the base offense, but there are a lot of advantages to it as you've noted.

As to the OP, I got a little flamed on the old mothership for wanting a full back on the team. I'd definitely still be for it.

Yeah, we have been saying to use a 2 back set with Mixon and Gio for years man...

The 2 back set that we used to use the last time we were in the Superbowl sure was effective, was different than today as 
the RB's in Ickey, Brooks or Stanley Wilson would line up next to each other behind the QB...
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 05:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, we have been saying to use a 2 back set with Mixon and Gio for years man...

The 2 back set that we used to use the last time we were in the Superbowl sure was effective, was different than today as 
the RB's in Ickey, Brooks or Stanley Wilson would line up next to each other behind the QB...

Yep....you could split em, line up in the I, run motions with em pre snap, etc. Like Wes said, Gio is very good catching, blocking, and out in space. I personally feel it's almost criminal that the last two staffs haven't ran it at least a little.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 05:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep....you could split em, line up in the I, run motions with em pre snap, etc. Like Wes said, Gio is very good catching, blocking, and out in space. I personally feel it's almost criminal that the last two staffs haven't ran it at least a little.

You know it Wyche, I think it would be much more effective than a Full Back with Burrow anyways...
Reply/Quote

Pats also seemed to be able to figure out how to do a QB sneak. Last I heard, Brady converted something like 143 of his 175 QB sneak attempts, with 16 TDs.

Meanwhile Zac Taylor loves him some 4th and inches delayed QB run out of the shotgun.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 06:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pats also seemed to be able to figure out how to do a QB sneak. Last I heard, Brady converted something like 143 of his 175 QB sneak attempts, with 16 TDs.

Meanwhile Zac Taylor loves him some 4th and inches delayed QB run out of the shotgun.

My God that is maddening!Bang HeadSmack
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 02:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You can do a FB in this offense but you have to be smart about it. He needs to be a good pass catcher and athletic. 

If you're going to be throwing to the flat or throwing screens with the RB as the primary, you can do that with a FB plus it keeps the defense honest if you can throw out of that set successfully. 

1. Run the ball
2. Play action w/ the FB just beyond the LoS as a check down.

This is how a FB can be utilized. 

Probably a bit too late to do it this year though. 

This is what I am looking for. This would be very effective. You can run a potent offense while using a fullback. San Fran, Chiefs, seahawks, Pats and even the rams have been using them.
Reply/Quote
Where is Dan Coats when you need him?
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 11:06 AM)ochocincos Wrote: A power running game is not the Bengals' identity.

But I agree, if the Bengals want to run better, having an actual FB should help.

I have always been a big fan of the old school fullbacks and it is a head scratcher as they say they want to "pound the rock" it s  an added pass protector that can stone wall a blitzing LB or Safety.... Why they dont at least bring in a  FA or two to have this when needed. I see SF using it quite well and some other teams.  we need another Pete Johnson!!!  all 6' and 260 LBS of mass!  from my engineering class: KE= 1/2 Mass X V2  !
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 04:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: They do that a lot don't they? Develin still on the team eh? Haven't watched the Pats yet this year.

Retired this year
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2020, 01:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Retired this year

Might of been a good move. Still don't see the Pats being near as good as they were with Brady.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2020, 12:54 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I have always been a big fan of the old school fullbacks and it is a head scratcher as they say they want to "pound the rock" it s  an added pass protector that can stone wall a blitzing LB or Safety.... Why they dont at least bring in a  FA or two to have this when needed. I see SF using it quite well and some other teams.  we need another Pete Johnson!!!  all 6' and 260 LBS of mass!  from my engineering class: KE= 1/2 Mass X V2  !

Zac Taylor has never been a power run offensive guy before.
He'd need to hire a different OC who has experience running that system.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 10:18 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Our identity identity so far seems to be 5 wide. Fullback ain’t fittin!

Our identity has won us 2 games in as many years.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote