Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G - Ronald Leary
THIS is the Guard we should target if we can't retain Zeitler. Didn't allow a sack and is a great run-blocker.

It’s easy to think of Ronald Leary as a backup lineman, but he was a starting guard who lost his job because Dallas lucked into La’el Collins in freakish circumstances at draft time. With Collins injured this season, Leary stepped back into the starting spot at left guard in Dallas and actually upgraded the unit. Leary didn’t allow a sack all season, but it was his run blocking that was the biggest difference, and he was not an insignificant part of Ezekiel Elliott’s league-leading season running the football.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-50-nfl-free-agents-of-2017/
Reply/Quote
What would something like this signing cost the Bengals I have no idea
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 12:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: THIS is the Guard we should target if we can't retain Zeitler. Didn't allow a sack and is a great run-blocker.

It’s easy to think of Ronald Leary as a backup lineman, but he was a starting guard who lost his job because Dallas lucked into La’el Collins in freakish circumstances at draft time. With Collins injured this season, Leary stepped back into the starting spot at left guard in Dallas and actually upgraded the unit. Leary didn’t allow a sack all season, but it was his run blocking that was the biggest difference, and he was not an insignificant part of Ezekiel Elliott’s league-leading season running the football.

Dallas didn't "luck" into La'el Collins any more than any other team did. He was a UDFA. Every team had an opportunity to go after him. Dallas made the best sales pitch.
Bengals could have done the same.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Likely much less than Zeitler. Sportrac compares him with guys who currently make $9 million a year.

Stefan Wisniewski is a guy I'd bring in at Center. I think he'd be an upgrade to Bodine and at a reasonable price.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 01:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Likely much less than Zeitler. Sportrac compares him with guys who currently make $9 million a year.

Stefan Wisniewski is a guy I'd bring in at Center. I think he'd be an upgrade to Bodine and at a reasonable price.

Warford could be a much more reasonably priced FA too. While Warford was very, very good as a rookie, his performance has declined somewhat the past three years and he's missed a few games each season too. Warford also went to high school in Richmond, KY and then played at UK, so the coaches should know him a bit better than other OGs given the proximity.

I expect Warford to be attainable in the $6-8 million price range.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 01:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Warford could be a much more reasonably priced FA too. While Warford was very, very good as a rookie, his performance has declined somewhat the past three years and he's missed a few games each season too. Warford also went to high school in Richmond, KY and then played at UK, so the coaches should know him a bit better than other OGs given the proximity.

I agree. There are going to be reasonable priced guys out there that can be upgrades for us.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 01:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Warford could be a much more reasonably priced FA too. While Warford was very, very good as a rookie, his performance has declined somewhat the past three years and he's missed a few games each season too. Warford also went to high school in Richmond, KY and then played at UK, so the coaches should know him a bit better than other OGs given the proximity.

Warford went to high school literally just up the road from my subdivision.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Many are speculating and saying that some of his success might've been due to the personnel and players around him.

I would certainly look into him though.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
I asked Jim Owczarski via twitter some questions about potential free agent guards including Chance Warmack and Ronald Leary, I'll share what he said. Jim always does a good job responding to fans.

Me: If Zeitler walks is FA Chance Warmack an option. Former 1st rd. pick, played in SEC, can sign a cheap 1-2 year prove it deal.

Jim: prove what? He started all 48 games of his career before he got hurt. W/a weak guard draft, he could get a nice multi year deal.

Me: sry didn't know he started 48. Figured he'd would be cheaper than Z and their was a reason they didn't pick up his option.

Jim: No worries he will be , cheaper in my opinion. The option was $8.8 million, so they didn't feel he deserved that amount. He could be someone the Bengals look at - but it would be to start the next few years ( provided he's healthy).

Me: Maybe Ronald Leary would be a more realistic option?

Jim: Hm. Thing is the G market has exploded. The team had parameters , so I guess it depends what Leary/ Warmack are asking for.

Jim continued: Hard to say options unless I know what they're looking for .. wish I could help a bit more. But those guys are former staters

Me: Understandable thanks Jim. I'm just scared for Daltons health with an unproven RG and Bodine at center.

No response:
Reply/Quote
Translation: The Bengals won't likely spend a lot of money on a Top 1st or 2nd Tier Guard.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 05:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Translation: The Bengals won't likely spend a lot of money on a Top 1st or 2nd Tier Guard.

Pretty much. Can look forward to the Bengals putting some major downgrade player next to Bodine , I'm sure that will work out great for them.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 01:03 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: What would something like this signing cost the Bengals I have no idea

Yeah, having to play between Bodine and Og is not a pleasant sounding proposition. A far cry from what he had around him in Dallas.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 12:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: THIS is the Guard we should target if we can't retain Zeitler. Didn't allow a sack and is a great run-blocker.

Yeah Pistons, you know whats up.

Might actually be an upgrade for us. If we let Zeitler go which it looks like this would be the perfect replacement.

Ronald Leary boom, love it. Then draft a Center in the 2nd or 3rd round. Instantly improved OL.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 04:46 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I asked Jim Owczarski via twitter some questions about potential free agent guards including Chance Warmack and Ronald Leary, I'll share what he said. Jim always does a good job responding to fans.

Me: If Zeitler walks is FA Chance Warmack an option. Former 1st rd. pick, played in SEC, can sign a cheap 1-2 year prove it deal.

Jim: prove what? He started all 48 games of his career before he got hurt. W/a weak guard draft, he could get a nice multi year deal.

Me: sry didn't know he started 48.  Figured he'd would be cheaper than Z and their was a reason they didn't pick up his option.

Jim: No worries he will be , cheaper in my opinion. The option was $8.8 million, so they didn't feel he deserved that amount. He could be someone the Bengals look at - but it would be to start the next few years ( provided he's healthy).

Me: Maybe Ronald Leary would be a more realistic option?

Jim: Hm. Thing is the G market has exploded. The team had  parameters , so I guess it depends what Leary/ Warmack are asking for.

Jim continued: Hard to say options unless I know what they're looking for .. wish I could help a bit more. But those guys are former staters  

Me: Understandable thanks Jim. I'm just scared for Daltons health with an unproven RG and Bodine at center.

No response:

All i can say is shit.

Jim O knows what he is doing, that is why this is most depressing.

Hopkins or Westerman will be our starting RG in between Bodine and Fisher most likely.

Sucks as we are all scared for Dalton's health. Pry why Jim O didn't respond to that last one. Mellow
Reply/Quote

Honestly I love Zeitler, but if he's looking to get 11-12 mil per year we need to let him walk. Leary would be a nice replacement depending on price, but you have to know we drafted Westerman to be Zeitlers replacement so we need to see what he has as well as to try and retain Whit and let Ced and Fisher fight it out for RT. I wouldn't mind bringing in a FA T and G for depth or to start if Westerman and the other 2 I mentioned can't seem to get a hold of their positions. I would love for us to draft an upgrade at C over Bodine and move him to G where I think he may be better suited or move him to backup C.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2017, 01:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah Pistons, you know whats up.

Might actually be an upgrade for us. If we let Zeitler go which it looks like this would be the perfect replacement.

Ronald Leary boom, love it. Then draft a Center in the 2nd or 3rd round. Instantly improved OL.

I'd like to bring Wisienewski in at Center. He's been above average everywhere he goes...but never ends up sticking. He'd be an immediate upgrade to Bodine.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2017, 01:13 PM)Crowe Wrote: Honestly I love Zeitler, but if he's looking to get 11-12 mil per year we need to let him walk. Leary would be a nice replacement depending on price, but you have to know we drafted Westerman to be Zeitlers replacement so we need to see what he has as well as to try and retain Whit and let Ced and Fisher fight it out for RT. I wouldn't mind bringing in a FA T and G for depth or to start if Westerman and the other 2 I mentioned can't seem to get a hold of their positions. I would love for us to draft an upgrade at C over Bodine and move him to G where I think he may be better suited or move him to backup C.

Then, don't draft a Guard in the 1st Round if you don't want to pay them when they develop. DeCastro got a similar contract from the Steelers.

Westerman will be a HUGE downgrade to Zeitler.

I'd go as far as to say that if Zeitler is allowed to walk and they think they'll be able to replace him with Westerman, and Bodine is the starting Center...that there's little chance we'll win a playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2017, 02:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Then, don't draft a Guard in the 1st Round if you don't want to pay them when they develop. DeCastro got a similar contract from the Steelers.

Westerman will be a HUGE downgrade to Zeitler.

I'd go as far as to say that if Zeitler is allowed to walk and they think they'll be able to replace him with Westerman, and Bodine is the starting Center...that there's little chance we'll win a playoff game.

And you know this how??? 

Plenty of players get drafted in the first round and don't get resigned either because they stink or they become over priced. I love Zeitler and think he's great, but I'm not paying a guard 12 mil a year when we have several other holes on the team. 

As far as winning a playoff game, we couldn't win one with him when our line was rated as one of the best.  Also we have Lewis as our coach so really it wouldn't matter who we have on the team, he's shown his inability to get this team to perform when needed.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2017, 03:20 PM)Crowe Wrote: And you know this how??? 

Plenty of players get drafted in the first round and don't get resigned either because they stink or they become over priced. I love Zeitler and think he's great, but I'm not paying a guard 12 mil a year when we have several other holes on the team. 

As far as winning a playoff game, we couldn't win one with him when our line was rated as one of the best.  Also we have Lewis as our coach so really it wouldn't matter who we have on the team, he's shown his inability to get this team to perform when needed.

Zeitler is the Top ranked Guard in free agency.

Westerman hasn't played a single down as a starting Guard. If you think there won't be a falloff...

As far as paying a Guard $10+ million a year...it's not like the Bengals are going to shift that money to another Top Tier free agent.

It amazes me how fans won't spend money on Player A...because it's too much. Well DeCastro is a comparable player to Zeitler and the Steelers game him that much. It's how much top Guards cost.

Sure the Bengals have a clean salary cap. But they also haven't won a playoff game in 26+ years. We're supposed to be following the Steelers model. The gave a Guard $10+ million a year.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2017, 04:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Zeitler is the Top ranked Guard in free agency.

Westerman hasn't played a single down as a starting Guard. If you think there won't be a falloff...

As far as paying a Guard $10+ million a year...it's not like the Bengals are going to shift that money to another Top Tier free agent.

It amazes me how fans won't spend money on Player A...because it's too much. Well DeCastro is a comparable player to Zeitler and the Steelers game him that much. It's how much top Guards cost.

Sure the Bengals have a clean salary cap. But they also haven't won a playoff game in 26+ years. We're supposed to be following the Steelers model. The gave a Guard $10+ million a year.

I like Zeitler, but it's easier to let him walk and spend money else where if he's looking for 11-12 mil. TBH I would rather spend that kind of money at a premium position not the guard position. 

If you look at the oline, the most important positions are the tackles and the center. If can be expected that Westerman comes in and plays at a lesser level than Zeitler to start out since he hasn't taken a snap, but it's not like it's impossible for him to come in and play well either. I would rather beef up our T and C positions than our G positions. Boling played injured all season, if we resign Whit and Boling gets back to full health than we have to figure out the other side of the line. 

And looking at the right side of the line along with C, would you rather dump a bunch of money into RG and allow your C and RT position to continue to be weak or would you rather upgrade your C and RT position and allow them to mask any short comings at RG which would be much easier than picking up the slack for a bad RT or C.

If they resign Zeitler great! If they bring a guy like Leary in great! Personally I want to see Westerman get a shot, he didn't play this year because there was no where for him to play, but I guess only time will tell what the organization plans on doing this season.

In regards to this:
We should never follow the Steelers model lol.
Reply/Quote