Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G- Trai Turner
Panthers are supposedly shopping 26 year old 5x Pro Bowl guard Trai Turner. He has 2 years left on a 4 yr $45 million contract. His cap hit would be $13 mill this year and $15 next. Expensive for sure but could help anchor the line for several years to come

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 04:55 PM)pally Wrote: Panthers are supposedly shopping 26 year old 5x Pro Bowl guard Trai Turner. He has 2 years left on a 4 yr $45 million contract. His cap hit would be $13 mill this year and $15 next. Expensive for sure but could help anchor the line for several years to come

I’m all for O-line help but you have to pay Tuner a lot of money and give up a draft pick. Rather sign Glasgow or Tuney and not give up a pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 04:55 PM)pally Wrote: Panthers are supposedly shopping 26 year old  5x Pro Bowl guard Trai Turner.   He has 2 years left on a 4 yr $45 million contract.  His cap hit would be $13 mill this year and $15 next.  Expensive for sure but could help anchor the line for several years to come

well we could do it...  Just gotta let AJ Go lol...  think we go after this spot in the draft and use FA mostly on Defense though
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 04:55 PM)pally Wrote: Panthers are supposedly shopping 26 year old  5x Pro Bowl guard Trai Turner.   He has 2 years left on a 4 yr $45 million contract.  His cap hit would be $13 mill this year and $15 next.  Expensive for sure but could help anchor the line for several years to come

(03-02-2020, 05:10 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I’m all for O-line help but you have to pay Tuner a lot of money and give up a draft pick. Rather sign Glasgow or Tuney and not give up a pick.

I agree, would like to have Turner but he would be more expensive than Thuney or Glasgow having to give up a pick.

Wouldn't be against this though either. Major upgrade at quite possible our worst position.

(03-02-2020, 06:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well we could do it...  Just gotta let AJ Go lol...  think we go after this spot in the draft and use FA mostly on Defense though

We aren't letting AJ go though unless someone gives up a first or second for him though.

So I don't see Turner happening.
Reply/Quote
Trade them Andy. If they aren’t interested I dont see any potential for a trade as we arent trading draft picks—nor should we. Or maybe Dre K/Glenn, but they wont take that kinda trade.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Who actually thinks that the Bengals would pay top shelf money for an offensive guard? Wasn't it at about this point in Kevin Zeitler's career that they let him go out and fetch all the money that he could?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 10:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Who actually thinks that the Bengals would pay top shelf money for an offensive guard?  Wasn't it at about this point in Kevin Zeitler's career that they let him go out and fetch all the money that he could?

Well, Zeit got overpaid by the Stains big time. This is one lack of a move I will always defend.

Zeit was not even a good run blocker for us. He wasn't worth even close to what the Stains gave him.

Not retaining Whit, now that was beyond stupid.
Reply/Quote
The presumption that his cap number would be 13 next year and 15 the following yer is false. In the NFL when a player is traded their prorated signing bonus, or "dead cap" hit, is eaten by the trading team. Turner would actually cost us 8.9 year one then 11.5 year two which would make him a bargain deal money wise even if it costs a pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 09:10 AM)Au165 Wrote: The presumption that his cap number would be 13 next year and 15 the following yer is false. In the NFL when a player is traded their prorated signing bonus, or "dead cap" hit, is eaten by the trading team. Turner would actually cost us 8.9 year one then 11.5 year two which would make him a bargain deal money wise even if it costs a pick.

Now that sounds much better but I still doubt MB would do it.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 09:28 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Now that sounds much better but I still doubt MB would do it.

Cordy Glenn this year was actually going to cost us 9.5 so we'd be saving 600k. Now everyone is probably saying, "but that is for a tackle not a guard, Mike Brown won't pay a guard that!" Not so fast my friends! We were actually going to move Cordy Glenn and his 9 Million dollar cap hit to LG this year before Jonah got hurt so it doesn't seem they are too averse to putting that much cap into guard, atleast in the short term (Tri Turner's deal is 2 years). The nice thing with Turner being on two years is maybe that gives Jordan the time he needs to develop. Then when Turners deal is up it will end the same time as Miller's, you let one walk and kick Jordan to the other position and get a nice mix of youth and veterans. 
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 09:10 AM)Au165 Wrote: The presumption that his cap number would be 13 next year and 15 the following yer is false. In the NFL when a player is traded their prorated signing bonus, or "dead cap" hit, is eaten by the trading team. Turner would actually cost us 8.9 year one then 11.5 year two which would make him a bargain deal money wise even if it costs a pick.

If that is the case, I agree that his salary would be a bargain for the player we would be getting.  I think it would be a hard sell to the Bengals management to go along with the 3rd round pick, as they have shown to value draft picks over most everything else.  

Who know's?  Maybe they can pull off a deal for Andy that would get that pick back?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 09:36 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If that is the case, I agree that his salary would be a bargain for the player we would be getting.  I think it would be a hard sell to the Bengals management to go along with the 3rd round pick, as they have shown to value draft picks over most everything else.  

Who know's?  Maybe they can pull off a deal for Andy that would get that pick back?

That is kind of my thought process. The trade capital would essentially be what we get for Andy, plus maybe a late day 3 kicker. If we get a 3rd it would be the other teams' 3rd not ours as our would be the higher of the two. If it was a 4th, I'd give them the other teams 4th and I'd kick them our 6th as well.
Reply/Quote
It's unfortunate Carolina hasn't been a team linked to Andy Dalton. I'd love a trade straight up.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 09:34 AM)Au165 Wrote: Cordy Glenn this year was actually going to cost us 9.5 so we'd be saving 600k. Now everyone is probably saying, "but that is for a tackle not a guard, Mike Brown won't pay a guard that!" Not so fast my friends! We were actually going to move Cordy Glenn and his 9 Million dollar cap hit to LG this year before Jonah got hurt so it doesn't seem they are too averse to putting that much cap into guard, atleast in the short term (Tri Turner's deal is 2 years). The nice thing with Turner being on two years is maybe that gives Jordan the time he needs to develop. Then when Turners deal is up it will end the same time as Miller's, you let one walk and kick Jordan to the other position and get a nice mix of youth and veterans. 

I sure hope they do it. I'm very concerned with our current crop of guards.
Reply/Quote

(03-03-2020, 09:34 AM)Au165 Wrote: Cordy Glenn this year was actually going to cost us 9.5 so we'd be saving 600k. Now everyone is probably saying, "but that is for a tackle not a guard, Mike Brown won't pay a guard that!" Not so fast my friends! We were actually going to move Cordy Glenn and his 9 Million dollar cap hit to LG this year before Jonah got hurt so it doesn't seem they are too averse to putting that much cap into guard, atleast in the short term (Tri Turner's deal is 2 years). The nice thing with Turner being on two years is maybe that gives Jordan the time he needs to develop. Then when Turners deal is up it will end the same time as Miller's, you let one walk and kick Jordan to the other position and get a nice mix of youth and veterans. 

Alright, Au165 talked me into it. Go after Turner even if it costs a pick I would be more than fine with it.

Still like Thuney, Glasgow and Fieler as well. 

But Turner is sounding much more likely than Thuney at least after what is said here.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 03:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Alright, Au165 talked me into it. Go after Turner even if it costs a pick I would be more than fine with it.

Still like Thuney, Glasgow and Fieler as well. 

But Turner is sounding much more likely than Thuney at least after what is said here.

Well We should get a decent pick for Dalton which could offset a pick we use for a trade for someone like Turner.. (or ive seen CB Slay listed as someone the bengals should persue…)  

But yeah with glenn off the books presumably then we could translate that money to the OG spot with our LT on a rookie deal still and QB on a rookie deal we can afford that type of OL for a few years.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 03:29 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well We should get a decent pick for Dalton which could offset a pick we use for a trade for someone like Turner.. (or ive seen CB Slay listed as someone the bengals should persue…)  

But yeah with glenn off the books presumably then we could translate that money to the OG spot with our LT on a rookie deal still and QB on a rookie deal we can afford that type of OL for a few years.

True, there are ways to offset losing a pick for Turner like you said.

Slay is off the table though man, he wants to be the highest paid CB in the NFL.

Now is the time to pay big in FA before we have to pay Burrow years down the road.

Turner and Schobert would be a great FA.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 03:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, there are ways to offset losing a pick for Turner like you said.

Slay is off the table though man, he wants to be the highest paid CB in the NFL.

Now is the time to pay big in FA before we have to pay Burrow years down the road.

Turner and Schobert would be a great FA.

yeah I saw an article saying bengals should trade for him so I used him as an example.. 

Right we got about a 3 year window before our LT and QB will need new deals.  (can stretch to 4-5 but they probly wont like it..)

so grab at least 1 OL and some Defensive Pieces in Free agency.   Sure we will also draft at least 1 OL player.

then its just a matter of who is playing where...  and upgrading or drafting for the future.
Reply/Quote
I for one would like to acquire Turner for the guard position, it solidifies a major need for us allows us to groom Jordan along and maybe the Panthers take a 4th rd for him, if they really want to shed salary. With us possibly getting a pick from Dalton it might be a push in terms of draft capital, and save us from taking a lineman before the 5th rd. then I'd:

1) cut glenn- basically a push in salary with the Turner acquisition.

2) re-structure or cut Kirkpatrick- if he balks adios, we draft one and go with Darius Phillips or sign a veteran on a 1-2 yr deal.

3) draft an OT(5) that can be a solid swing tackle or future RT
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 07:27 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: I for one would like to acquire Turner for the guard position, it solidifies a major need for us allows us to groom Jordan along and maybe the Panthers take a 4th rd for him, if they really want to shed salary. With us possibly getting a pick from Dalton it might be a push in terms of draft capital, and save us from taking a lineman before the 5th rd. then I'd:

1) cut glenn- basically a push in salary with the Turner acquisition.

2) re-structure or cut Kirkpatrick- if he balks adios, we draft one and go with Darius Phillips or sign a veteran on a 1-2 yr deal.

3) draft an OT(5) that can be a solid swing tackle or future RT

That's an interesting point you make, as Jacksonville just accepted a 4th round pick from Denver, in order to unload a similar salary hit in CB AJ Bouye.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote