Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G- Trai Turner
(03-03-2020, 07:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's an interesting point you make, as Jacksonville just accepted a 4th round pick from Denver, in order to unload a similar salary hit in CB AJ Bouye.

It actually also sends a message to the league and Joe Burrow that we will upgrade area's of weaknesses with quality free agents at area's of need! It also puts a solid veteran next to Jonah Williams in what will be his rookie season!!
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 07:50 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: It actually also sends a message to the league and Joe Burrow that we will upgrade area's of weaknesses with quality free agents at area's of need! It also puts a solid veteran next to Jonah Williams in what will be his rookie season!!

Maybe, Trai Turner has always been listed as a RG on the Panthers Depth Chart.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 08:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Maybe, Trai Turner has always been listed as a RG on the Panthers Depth Chart.

But hey Sunset, you at times have said it isn't hard for some OL, namely Guards to switch from Right to Left if they have before...

Has Turner ever played on the Left side is my question?

I know Glenn has never played on the Right side at least in college or the NFL so it does matter for some.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 09:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: But hey Sunset, you at times have said it isn't hard for some OL, namely Guards to switch from Right to Left if they have before...

Has Turner ever played on the Left side is my question?

I know Glenn has never played on the Right side at least in college or the NFL so it does matter for some.

Glenn is not mean enough to handle the Right side of OL duty.   Ninja

But, you do make a good point about Turner.  But honestly, I haven't watched him closely enough over the years to know if he's only a mauler in the trenches, or if he's also an agile pass protector and athletic enough to execute traps and counters to perfection.  Perhaps one of our fellow board mates that subscribes to the PFF data could share a little insight with us cheapskates? 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 09:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Glenn is not mean enough to handle the Right side of OL duty.   Ninja

But, you do make a good point about Turner.  But honestly, I haven't watched him closely enough over the years to know if he's only a mauler in the trenches, or if he's also an agile pass protector and athletic enough to execute traps and counters to perfection.  Perhaps one of our fellow board mates that subscribes to the PFF data could share a little insight with us cheapskates? 

Would like to know this myself, but in all fairness both our Guards sucked last season, and Price so...
Reply/Quote
If we could trade for Turner that would be amazing. He would be a big time addition to the OL.

As far as UFA's. Glasgow I'd take all day, and an under the radar guy who can play both OT and G is Vaitai from Philly. His PFF grades are nice and his price tag should be Bengal range, and honestly I think he would be an upgrade over Hart or even any of our G's right now, not too mention insurance for Jonah. He's still pretty young too.

Give me Joe Sho, 1 or 2 of Glasgow, Turner or Vaitai and then Karl Joseph. I'd be very happy with this heading into the draft.
Reply/Quote
Hell, give it to them if all they want is a third.

We're probably looking at best lb, wr or ol in that spot anyway. Why gamble when you've got a proven guy at a not horrible contract? Especially when there's a good chance we can get a third(ish) for Andy.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 09:45 AM)Benton Wrote: Hell, give it to them if all they want is a third.

We're probably looking at best lb, wr or ol in that spot anyway. Why gamble when you've got a proven guy at a not horrible contract? Especially when there's a good chance we can get a third(ish) for Andy.

For me it comes down to what you get for Andy. I do it if we come away with a 3rd or earlyish 4th for him, but if it gets later I think we want to try and get them to take our 4th because pick 65 is still a really coveted pick. 
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 10:05 AM)Au165 Wrote: For me it comes down to what you get for Andy. I do it if we come away with a 3rd or earlyish 4th for him, but if it gets later I think we want to try and get them to take our 4th because pick 65 is still a really coveted pick. 

Andy issue aside, if do it with the approach of: were going all in on burrow and needing a guard. 

Getting something for Andy just makes it easier.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 11:28 AM)Benton Wrote: Andy issue aside, if do it with the approach of: were going all in on burrow and needing a guard. 

Getting something for Andy just makes it easier.

Right, but pick 65 and 9 million a year or you just pay Glasgow 8-9 a year and keep pick 65. There is a point where pick plus cap overrules his talent. 
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 11:31 AM)Au165 Wrote: Right, but pick 65 and 9 million a year or you just pay Glasgow 8-9 a year and keep pick 65. There is a point where pick plus cap overrules his talent. 

If I was the Bengals I would be offering a 2nd round pick swap for Trai Turner. That 33rd pick could put Carolina into a better spot to get a QB.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 07:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's an interesting point you make, as Jacksonville just accepted a 4th round pick from Denver, in order to unload a similar salary hit in CB AJ Bouye.

if a team is dumping salary the asking price usually isn't to high.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 11:50 AM)Synric Wrote: If I was the Bengals I would be offering a 2nd round pick swap for Trai Turner. That 33rd pick could put Carolina into a better spot to get a QB.

I don't think they want another second tier QB they have that in Allen and maybe even Grier. I think they are selling off assets to tank since Rhule has a 7 year contract. I don't think it's a coincidence they have been jettisoning guys left and right. There are rumors McCafferrey could be available.
Reply/Quote
I don't see Bengals shelling out that kind of money for someone who cannot play OT.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 12:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't see Bengals shelling out that kind of money for someone who cannot play OT.

Anywhere from 7-9 a year is pretty average for a guard now. As I said above, they were going to move Glenn to guard this year and he was making 9 million. I think the fact they were willing to kick Glenn inside rather than move him before the season means they are okay with it.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 12:13 PM)Au165 Wrote: Anywhere from 7-9 a year is pretty average for a guard now. As I said above, they were going to move Glenn to guard this year and he was making 9 million. I think the fact they were willing to kick Glenn inside rather than move him before the season means they are okay with it.

You're right, but that's not what the Bengals would have to pay for Trai Turner. Turner would be $12.8 mill in 2020 and $15.4 mill in 2021.
Bengals would never pay that for an OG.

EDIT - Nvm, I missed the guaranteed money that CAR should pay, thereby reducing the amount the new team would have to pay. With that said, I still don't think the Bengals pay $10+ mill for strictly an OG, of which $11.5 mill would be needed for 2021.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
It's an option, but I'm not sold on reports of Free agency activity so I doubt their philosophy changed enough to pay big money to a guard.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 12:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You're right, but that's not what the Bengals would have to pay for Trai Turner. Turner would be $12.8 mill in 2020 and $15.4 mill in 2021.
Bengals would never pay that for an OG.

EDIT - Nvm, I missed the guaranteed money that CAR should pay, thereby reducing the amount the new team would have to pay. With that said, I still don't think the Bengals pay $10+ mill for strictly an OG, of which $11.5 mill would be needed for 2021.

Any similarly skilled guard in FA will cost that but will require a heavy guarantee investment where as there is none here which gives them a parachute if it doesn't work out. 
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 01:23 PM)Au165 Wrote: Any similarly skilled guard in FA will cost that but will require a heavy guarantee investment where as there is none here which gives them a parachute if it doesn't work out. 

I understand and agree.

But that just means the Bengals will go with a less-skilled player in order to get someone within the budget they want to spend.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 01:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I understand and agree.

But that just means the Bengals will go with a less-skilled player in order to get someone within the budget they want to spend.

One thing going for us right now is we will have no highly paid guys on the line outside Hopkins with Glenn's coming off the books. We have a window while Jonah is on his rookie deal to pay one high priced linemen as the Bengals have historically looked at total money invested in each unit as how they determine the pay. With only Hopkins getting paid, I think a high priced Guard and even a mid tier tackle could be doable pending if they go big at CB. You could essentially offer anyone a 3 year deal that is 10+ as our one "tackle" contract on the line (Guard or tackle) and then it would be up when Jonah needs extended. 
Reply/Quote