Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIO > HILL
Just wanted to post a thread in case the coaches read these posts.

Not sure how this is still not a TOTAL given.

Ahhhhhhhh

I digress
Reply/Quote
Hard to argue. Hill looks like a broken 2007-2008 Rudi Johnson
Reply/Quote
If a player is playing lights out.. Let's give the other guy on the bench a chance.. Bengals Coach Logic

If a player is playing like total garbage, keep him in forever .. BASS Ackwards
Reply/Quote
On the season:

Hill: 271 yards, 3 TDs, 3.61 yards per carry
Gio: 167 yards, 0 TDs, 3.41 yards per carry

Can we please stop pretending Gio has been better than Hill this year? Gio got the start that all his fan boys were craving. The results? 15 carries, 49 yards, 3.27 yards per carry. The problem is blocking. Not Hill or Gio. Let it sink in.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 06:17 PM)Whacked Wrote: Just wanted to post a thread in case the coaches read these posts.  

Not sure how this is still not a TOTAL given.

Ahhhhhhhh

I digress

Wow thanks for clarifying, I almost missed every other post in the game day thread where you constantly posted that lmfao
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 06:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: On the season:

Can we please stop pretending Gio has been better than Hill this year? Gio got the start that all his fan boys were craving. The results? 15 carries, 49 yards, 3.27 yards per carry. The problem is blocking. Not Hill or Gio. Let it sink in.

Yep^^^

Both can succeed with decent blocking, both offer a different game and both can be very valuable if used properly 
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 06:37 PM)bengals73 Wrote: If a player is playing lights out.. Let's give the other guy on the bench a chance.. Bengals Coach Logic

If a player is playing like total garbage, keep him in forever .. BASS Ackwards

#MarvBall
Reply/Quote
Yeah, pretty much what Shake said. Which RB should or shouldn't get the majority of carries, or starts or whatever, is frankly moot when the O-Line is "performing" like ours is.
Reply/Quote
The sad thing is the coaching staff has no idea how to play these two given their strengths.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 06:49 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: #MarvBall

#MarvBall
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 06:41 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Yep^^^

Both can succeed with decent blocking, both offer a different game and both can be very valuable if used properly 

Agreed. I'm not judging either right now. It seems unfair to judge anything they do this year due to the horrible state ofthe oline.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 06:51 PM)Butchie Tiger Wrote: The sad thing is the coaching staff has no idea how to play these two given their strengths.

I would love to see how other coaches like Belichick would use Gio. I bet anything he would be in on punt returns, and a bigger factor in the passing game while Hill is in there. And I bet coaches like Belichick would use Rex quite a bit more as well.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I love hill but if their going to always play shotgun and running single back, I finally agree, what they did today seems best.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 06:55 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I would love to see how other coaches like Belichick would use Gio. I bet anything he would be in on punt returns, and a bigger factor in the passing game while Hill is in there. And I bet coaches like Belichick would use Rex quite a bit more as well.

Funny you should say that, as I have often thought about a pony backfield with Rex and Gio being a mismatch against a base defense in the passing game.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 06:41 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Yep^^^

Well, what happened last year then?
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Still confused why we used Gio at the goal line when Hill is one of the best short yardage backs in the NFL. He did have 11 Tds last season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

Add receiving yards to that... Gio is better than hill in most scenarios that don't involve the red zone. 
Reply/Quote

I normally agree with you Shake, but with Gio you have to worry about his pass catching ability. Gio is currently our #3 I'm yards in receiving and he has the 2nd most total yards on the team. Now I don't think Gio should be in all the time. I still like Hill on goal line and short yardages, and to give Gio a break. But overall I feel like the offense moves better with Gio in.

But to your main point.... You're right that Gio vs Hill isn't very important compaired to the blocking issue. I think it's 1) playcalling/coaching, 2) OL, 3) lack of a high caliber #2 option (Eifert) 4) Having the right RB in the right situation.
Reply/Quote
Hill just looks very slow to me. I realize he's a big back but he is just not very explosive speed wise. And it could be because he is hesitant on his first step, thus missing his opportunities. Gio is just so much quicker to the hole.
Reply/Quote
The only time I would have put Jeremy Hill in over Gio Bernard against the Patriots was on the half yard line.
Reply/Quote