Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GM Candidates
A Borgnonzi/Bienemy duo sounds pretty damn good to me. With Borgnozi being a fellow Ivy League man, he should get along well with the Brown family.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 10:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Haha, good point.

But even if they get an actual GM, what's the likelihood this person is the Zac Taylor of GMs?  Hilarious

After bearing witness to some of the recent decision making, it has become painfully obvious as to why they had for years concluded that the best possible course of action was to sit on their hands. Keep the gun holstered so that you don't shoot yourself in the foot type of a thing. 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 09:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A Borgnonzi/Bienemy duo sounds pretty damn good to me.  With Borgnozi being a fellow Ivy League man, he should get along well with the Brown family.

How does Tobin/Taylor sound to you?

NOT GOOD?!?!

Theyll make a believer of you!!! You just wait and see! Next year! If not next year...then Year 3!!! Maybe Year 4!
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 09:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How does Tobin/Taylor sound to you?

NOT GOOD?!?!

Theyll make a believer of you!!! You just wait and see! Next year! If not next year...then Year 3!!! Maybe Year 4!

Yeah, I'm not blind, deaf or dumb.  However, since we was all playin' let's suppose, I figured I'd add my little bit.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 09:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A Borgnonzi/Bienemy duo sounds pretty damn good to me.  With Borgnozi being a fellow Ivy League man, he should get along well with the Brown family.

Yeah, my 'will never happen' dream would be Borgonzi, Xanders or Dodds at GM and Bieniemy, Saleh or Smith as HC.
Reply/Quote
If we're being semi hopeful but still realistic the only chance we have at a GM is Marvin.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I take it this is a "big wish" thread??

Even if Mike steps away completely, Duke Tobin is pretty much untouchable.

If hell freezes over and Duke is shown the door, my money is on Mr. Imarriedinto this pillow talking pumpkin into letting him be the GM...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 11:00 PM)Interceptor Wrote: The entire front office needs to be gutted.

Most have felt that way since the mid 90's. Hasn't happened yet and sadly don't see it happening anytime soon. Sad
Reply/Quote
Some lucky team will probably get the duo of Dorsey/Bieniemy. That would be my dream scenario to fix this mess in a hurry.

Reply/Quote
Bieniemy? Why? He has the best QB and head coach. He did nothing at Colorado. He has no proven track record of building championship teams at any level. No for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I hear the Franklin Middle School has this innovative passing game coordinator that's also an art teacher. Very creative. He'll be on the short list.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 11:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Marvin took Oggie and Fisher #1 and #2.... who quickly we forget. And he had Paul Alexander as Oline coach forever...

Yeah....but Piano Man was a Brown family lifer, and Marvin was saddled with him. It was also Alexander that "pounded on the table" for those two.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 11:46 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah....but Piano Man was a Brown family lifer, and Marvin was saddled with him. It was also Alexander that "pounded on the table" for those two.

The fact that Alexander was a Brown family lifer is exactly why I have some shred of hope that Tobin will see the door and they'll replace him.  The family is loyal to a fault, but even they have had their limits in the past.  Alexander, Lewis.  I can only hope Tobin is next.  
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 09:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I'm not blind, deaf or dumb.  However, since we was all playin' let's suppose, I figured I'd add my little bit.

We're all a little bit blind, deaf, and/or dumb if we're Bengals fans.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 10:29 PM)jj22 Wrote: https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/next-potential-nfl-general-managers-gms-2021-2022

Whats a bit strange to me is the other night I was thinking that the ESPN analyst Louis Riddick might make a good GM and Bengals should consider him and then boom the next day I saw the Lions are interested.  They stole Ragnow and now Riddick! lol
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 12:56 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Whats a bit strange to me is the other night I was thinking that the ESPN analyst Louis Riddick might make a good GM and Bengals should consider him and then boom the next day I saw the Lions are interested.  They stole Ragnow and now Riddick! lol

The Bengals have NO interest in a GM. None.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 02:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals have NO interest in a GM. None.

It's been pointed out by multiple people who cover the team that even though it's not his title, Tobin is effectively the GM.  So I would argue that point.  I think The Family has ultimate "head of football operations" calling power, they realize the value in having someone in there to lead the charge on scouting, drafting and hiring.  And that's what Tobin has done.  Which is pretty much the job description for a GM. 
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 02:21 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: It's been pointed out by multiple people who cover the team that even though it's not his title, Tobin is effectively the GM.  So I would argue that point.  I think The Family has ultimate "head of football operations" calling power, they realize the value in having someone in there to lead the charge on scouting, drafting and hiring.  And that's what Tobin has done.  Which is pretty much the job description for a GM. 

It's GM-lite, IIRC.

Tobin's official title is Director of Player Personnel.
As such, his primary responsibility is with what players to add/remove via FA and the draft.

A GM would also be the direct manager for the HC and gets final decision-making power on coaches too.
I believe that Taylor does not report up to Tobin, but rather both he and Tobin report to Mike Brown.
As such, I don't believe Tobin is the decision-maker on what coaches to keep, and therefore does not have all the responsibilities that a true GM has.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 02:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's GM-lite, IIRC.

Tobin's official title is Director of Player Personnel.
As such, his primary responsibility is with what players to add/remove via FA and the draft.

A GM would also be the direct manager for the HC and gets final decision-making power on coaches too.
I believe that Taylor does not report up to Tobin, but rather both he and Tobin report to Mike Brown.
As such, I don't believe Tobin is the decision-maker on what coaches to keep, and therefore does not have all the responsibilities that a true GM has.

But when you look at the names out there acting as "advisors" for teams, bringing someone in to help guide personnel and coaching decisions (like Tobin is now) and advise strategically to me is honestly just fine as a step in the right direction.  I think that roll can be successful even if it's not a pure power controller like we'd all love.  
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 02:40 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: But when you look at the names out there acting as "advisors" for teams, bringing someone in to help guide personnel and coaching decisions (like Tobin is now) and advise strategically to me is honestly just fine as a step in the right direction.  I think that roll can be successful even if it's not a pure power controller like we'd all love.  

Yes, to an extent.
If you don't get the ultimate decision-making power, it ultimately limits your influence.
For example, I'm sure Duke Tobin gives his input, but he ultimately cannot fire/hire coaches. That falls under Mike Brown.
As such, this could make it more difficult for Tobin to get things done the way he thinks need to go from a coaching perspective.

The best analogy I can think of in regards to Tobin's influence with coaching if coaching doesn't report up through him would be, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." 
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote