Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GM Candidates
(12-21-2020, 05:19 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Im guessing hes well compensated as he was offered interviews with other clubs for a similar role and turned them down without interviewing.

This is 100% me guessing about situation and feelings I wouldn't know, but I think Tobin has quite a bit of control.  I think he's a key in the drafts, I think he was driving the coaching search that brought ZT in to the org.  I think he's got control and only the spotlight he wants.  He's in a comfortable spot he wouldn't be in with another org where the GM takes the blowback for everything.  We all assume it's The Family and HC that are the necks to wring, but what if Tobin is actually to blame for a lot more and just never has the negative attention.  Being a GM is a high-pressure job and I just think Tobin's got control that he wants and the stability he wants.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 03:30 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Without the title and without the control and responsiblities.  Also without the pay too.

Fwiw, I'd feel pretty confident in betting that Duke Tobin makes under a million a year.  Real GM's, with real responsiblities, make between 2 to 4 million.

I think one of the main reasons Tobin has turned down interviews with other teams in the past is because he knows if he were to become a 'real GM' and fail, there would actually be accountability and he would be fired. That's not really something he has to worry about here...22 years and counting, and he's basically part of the family. I think he's more than happy with the quasi-GM role, and the insane amount of job security that comes with it. 
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 05:34 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: This is 100% me guessing about situation and feelings I wouldn't know, but I think Tobin has quite a bit of control.  I think he's a key in the drafts, I think he was driving the coaching search that brought ZT in to the org.  I think he's got control and only the spotlight he wants.  He's in a comfortable spot he wouldn't be in with another org where the GM takes the blowback for everything.  We all assume it's The Family and HC that are the necks to wring, but what if Tobin is actually to blame for a lot more and just never has the negative attention.  Being a GM is a high-pressure job and I just think Tobin's got control that he wants and the stability he wants.  

we are one of the Few  Family ran franchises left... (good or bad)  

From my understanding it was Katie/Troy and Duke that were driving the coaching search...  I wonder which way each leaned with the candidates. 
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 05:38 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think one of the main reasons Tobin has turned down interviews with other teams in the past is because he knows if he were to become a 'real GM' and fail, there would actually be accountability and he would be fired. That's not really something he has to worry about here...22 years and counting, and he's basically part of the family. I think he's more than happy with the quasi-GM role, and the insane amount of job security that comes with it. 

I see that Tobin has been in the role for 22 years, but I thought Lippincott was the Director of Player Personnel until he retired in 2011?
Or did Lippincott report to Tobin?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 05:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: we are one of the Few  Family ran franchises left... (good or bad)  

From my understanding it was Katie/Troy and Duke that were driving the coaching search...  I wonder which way each leaned with the candidates. 

IIRC, Tobin, Katie, and Troy preferred Taylor, but Mike Brown leaned some other way. It was never stated who he preferred instead though.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 06:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: IIRC, Tobin, Katie, and Troy preferred Taylor, but Mike Brown leaned some other way. It was never stated who he preferred instead though.

Wouldn't that just be a cruel twist of fate if MB actually wanted to bring in someone who would have done a great job after all the crap we (deservedly) give the guy, and the "future" of the org put us in this mess?  

But if that's the case, it actually gives me hope that they're playing the game of keeping up with more current trends.  Tried to bring in the young guy, the "next great thing".  Even if the execution was totally botched, that could signal that they won't be willing to give this clown 5 years to turn this team around, regardless of his contract.  
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 06:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I see that Tobin has been in the role for 22 years, but I thought Lippincott was the Director of Player Personnel until he retired in 2011?

I believe Lippencott was Director of Pro Player Personnel, where as Tobin was Director of Scouting (College Personnel).

Edit: PS: We hired Lippencott from Moeller High School, where he was their athletic director. That fact is simply unbelieveable, and is too good to pass up mentioning any time Fupa Lippencott gets brought up.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 06:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: IIRC, Tobin, Katie, and Troy preferred Taylor, but Mike Brown leaned some other way. It was never stated who he preferred instead though.

Probably a good chance that person was Bienemy.  He was the only person who interviewed that had direct ties to the Bengals and Mike Brown.
Reply/Quote

Im leaning with mike on this one lol
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 06:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I see that Tobin has been in the role for 22 years, but I thought Lippincott was the Director of Player Personnel until he retired in 2011?

IIRC, Tobin took over as DoPP in '02/03 (?), when Lippencott was given the Director of Football Op's title. His role definitely increased after Lippy left though...basically taking on the quasi-GM role.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 06:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I believe Lippencott was Director of Pro Player Personnel, where as Tobin was Director of Scouting (College Personnel).

Edit: PS: We hired Lippencott from Moeller High School, where he was their athletic director.  That fact is simply unbelieveable, and is too good to pass up mentioning any time Fupa Lippencott gets brought up.

I remember how terrible Lippincott was at breaking news to players who were cut in TC during Hard Knocks.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Kirk Herbstreit for GM.
Reply/Quote