Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOOD or BAD? NFL SHUTDOWN!
(11-28-2020, 11:38 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Yeah, it'll be a shit storm if changes aren't made...lol. I hope we get GOOD answers.

Indeed on all accounts.

My biggest fear is this off-season will look a lot like last off-season; full of hope, lots of activity in free agency, and a decent draft. Unfortunately, none of this resulted in wins which to me is abject failure. We have to examine why this particular off-season model failed. I think I have the answer.

Bad coaching.

Let’s take Joe Burrow out of this equation please. He is such a good player I believe he is completely immune to bad coaching even though he is still a victim of bad playcalling. The rest of the team, however, needs to be up for examination. If you watch tape on Von Bell in New Orleans or Mackensie Alexander in Minnesota or even Billy Price at Ohio State or Jonah Williams at Alabama you see a different level of play before they got to Cincinnati. For that matter, watch some tape on DJ Reader in Houston!

As soon as these fine players come to Cincinnati all the aggression, natural instinct, and athleticism seem to be coached out of them. Going back even further, watch some tape on Cedric Ogbuehi at Texas A&M or Jake Fisher at Oregon. These guys could seriously play but in Cincinnati they greatly underachieved.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If they would/will screw this up any further, there'll be an uprising in town. I know MB is stubborn, but come on.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 12:05 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: My biggest fear is this off-season will look a lot like last off-season; full of hope, lots of activity in free agency, and a decent draft. Unfortunately, none of this resulted in wins which to me is abject failure.   We have to examine why this particular off-season model failed. I think I have the answer.

Bad coaching.

Let’s take Joe Burrow out of this equation please. He is such a good player I believe he is completely immune to bad coaching even though he is still a victim of bad playcalling.  The rest of the team, however, needs to be up for examination. If you watch tape on Von Bell in New Orleans or Mackensie Alexander in Minnesota or even Billy Price at Ohio State or Jonah Williams at Alabama you see a different level of play before they got to Cincinnati.   For that matter, watch some tape on DJ Reader in Houston!

As soon as these fine players come to Cincinnati all the aggression, natural instinct, and athleticism seem to be coached out of them.  Going back even further, watch some tape on Cedric Ogbuehi at Texas A&M or Jake Fisher at Oregon. These guys could seriously play but in Cincinnati they greatly underachieved.

Ogbuehi has bounced around, and he still sucks...lol. I think it's mentality with him. I'm not sure Fisher is still in the league?

Bell is ranked #1 among all NFL safeties for TFL in the run game. Also gotta remember that he has had a couple INTs called back due to penalties. So I feel like he's done exactly what he was signed to do. Help in run defense from the secondary. 

Jonah is grading very well in pass pro....run blocking needs some work, but this is his first year at the hardest position on the line with a right handed QB. I think he'll be fine.

Price? I dunno, you got me there, I have no clue what's going on there, and he started out under Pollack.

Now, I'm not arguing there isn't a lot left to be desired with the coaching, but some of those guys mentioned are actually playing pretty well regardless.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 06:31 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-orders-shutdown-of-team-facilities-monday-and-tuesday-to-slow-spread-of-covid-19/ar-BB1bqUHW?li=BB15ms5q

NFL shutting down for 2 days.

I realize it's bad.  But I am wondering how this will affect us down the road?  I was worried this was going to happen.  Season might be over.

Let's get thoughts...

I don't see it happening, too much money on the line. Also, death rate is declining rapidly. Next, the NBA is starting back up next week, so makes no sense NBA starts again while NFL shuts down.

But, to be safe, we need to lose against the Giants, take our 3rd draft slot and get ready for 2021.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 10:34 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not sure how positive/negative it will be, but I foresee a higher than average turnover rate coming this offseason.  I don't mean turnover as in fumbles and interceptions, but turnover as in personnel.  I think that we'll see teams reacting to the reduced salary cap by not signing as many lucrative free agent deals to players at or near the end of their career, but rather opting to fill out their rosters with younger, healthier, lower costing players.

This is a big deal as you stated. Teams are used to cap increasing 10 to 15 million, instead it will reduce by 25 million per team.

So, a bunch of teams will be forced to dump players due to cap issues. It is a terrible year (2021) to be a FA or be cut. I see lots of players signing 1 year team friendly deals praying more money available in 2022.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Who cares? Season has been over
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 10:51 AM)samhain Wrote: True, but if teams aren't spending and higher-priced vets still need jobs, won't that just drive the numbers down on deals?  This might be the best year in awhile to get free agents if day 1 of FA starts without the usual jaw-dropping contracts being shelled out due to the cap increase.  Some quality players will be left out n the cold, and somebody's going to steal them eventually.

Agreed, I could see your scenario playing out, just as easily.  I guess that I should have been a little more concise in my previous post, as I was alluding more toward the "end of the line" type of players, versus the guys that could still merit a 3-5 year deal.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
They won’t cancel the season. Too much money to be made. I would hate if they did because last offseason felt like forever. I can’t be deprived of Bengal football for that long.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 02:39 PM)Trademark Wrote: Who cares? Season has been over

Way to stay positive, fellow Bengal fan.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 08:40 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: As far as I’m concerned our season was over last Sunday in the 3rd quarter anyway.

My interest in the Bengals this season was over then.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 02:55 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: They won’t cancel the season. Too much money to be made. I would hate if they did because last offseason felt like forever. I can’t be deprived of Bengal football for that long.

This sums it up perfectly.

They can cut it down to one or two practices a week if they want, and do all kinds of distance meetings and spread out the players times in the weight room, etc but there are still going to play every Sunday to make that $$$.

I would however, be all for the league calling the season off after this weekend or next. Something about shittsburgh being undefeated makes 2020 even more unbearable, and that great season meaning nothing would actually be really really satisfying  Wink

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 03:00 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This sums it up perfectly.

They can cut it down to one or two practices a week if they want, and do all kinds of distance meetings and spread out the players times in the weight room, etc but there are still going to play every Sunday to make that $$$.

I would however, be all for the league calling the season off after this weekend or next. Something about shittsburgh being undefeated makes 2020 even more unbearable, and that great season meaning nothing would actually be really really satisfying  Wink

They’d prob just give em the trophy
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 03:07 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: They’d prob just give em the trophy

Mad Mad Mad Mad 

That would be the most 2020 thing of all.....

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 02:39 PM)Trademark Wrote: Who cares? Season has been over

What a surprise.   Shocked
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 03:00 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This sums it up perfectly.

I can hear all the stooler fans if the season was cancelled. They will claim 6.5 SB’s.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 06:31 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-orders-shutdown-of-team-facilities-monday-and-tuesday-to-slow-spread-of-covid-19/ar-BB1bqUHW?li=BB15ms5q

NFL shutting down for 2 days.

I realize it's bad.  But I am wondering how this will affect us down the road?  I was worried this was going to happen.  Season might be over.

Let's get thoughts...

Zac T will get another year add to his stay
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 09:57 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: No interest in what this MIGHT mean for next season?  I guess I'm the only member who isn't hung over? 

2 days of the facility being closed will have zero impact on next season.  With all the player shuffles they've been doing, the coaches have had a good chance to evaluate every active player on the roster in game-time situations.  Shoot, they've even had chances to get a good look at multiple PS players during a game which they never get to do under the old rules.  
If you want to talk about the far more concerning long term problems due to COVID, look at what it has done to college football. Canceled games, limited practices, lost development years all will impact the future 3 or 4 drafts.  How will this impact the Bengals for next year especially? That to me is the far more needed conversation.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 03:27 PM)pally Wrote: 2 days of the facility being closed will have zero impact on next season.  With all the player shuffles they've been doing, the coaches have had a good chance to evaluate every active player on the roster in game-time situations.  Shoot, they've even had chances to get a good look at multiple PS players during a game which they never get to do under the old rules.  
If you want to talk about the far more concerning long term problems due to COVID, look at what it has done to college football. Canceled games, limited practices, lost development years all will impact the future 3 or 4 drafts.  How will this impact the Bengals for next year especially? That to me is the far more needed conversation.

Not sure on all the answers.  Just trying not to ruin my families Holiday.  Just nice to see both sides of the debate.   ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 03:17 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I can hear all the stooler fans if the season was cancelled. They will claim 6.5 SB’s.

They can wear the half ring on their tiny parts.  Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja

Of course a half ring would probably still be way too big for any steeler fan.  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Reply/Quote
If they cancel the regular season, it was my understanding that they would go the NBA route and have a playoff bubble with an expanded group of playoff teams, correct? There is absolutely zero chance beyond a nuclear holocaust or asteroid hitting the US that they don't play a Super Bowl. Too much advertising money.
Reply/Quote