Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 1: The Hero Club and the Goat Club
(09-11-2016, 06:27 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Gave up a TD, gave up a PI that set up 1st and goal for a TD, and missed a couple tackles. Not sure I would be singing Dre's praises.

- - - - - - -
As for the rest of the list, other additions....

Hero:
-Hunt legitimately surprised me, though. Didn't think he had that kind of game in him. Hope he has more coming. I've been harsh on the guy (deservedly so), but I need to recognize when he does well.

Goat:

-Shawn Williams was absolutely TERRIBLE. Take how bad Bodine was for the O and that's how bad Williams was for the D. Had to be half a dozen+ missed tackles, and an INT that hit him right in the hands that he dropped. I didn't think he'd be a proper replacement for Nelson, but I didn't expect that bad of a showing.

-Whoever decided to run the ball twice in a row for a loss coming out of the 2 minute warning. Not sure if that was Ken, or a Marvin directive. Just know it was awful. Short quick passes got you there and you abandon them for runs for losses and you're not even in proper field goal range yet.

-Whoever thought they needed to manufacture touches for James Wright. It led to a -8 yard reverse. James Wright isn't a guy you manufacture touches for.

(I almost want to give Dansby an honorable mention in the Goat section.)

Agreed. Williams looked really bad. Hopefully he improves as the season goes on, but we're definitely going to miss Nelson back there. 

Also agree on Dansby. He looked old and slow. Too bad he didn't want to come here two years ago before going to Cleveland.  Whatever
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 06:27 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Gave up a TD, gave up a PI that set up 1st and goal for a TD, and missed a couple tackles. Not sure I would be singing Dre's praises.

You and I both said Dre would get picked on. He didn't.

Marshall and Decker combined for 5 catches on 15 targets. 69 yards and the TD.

I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong and give the kid some props.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 06:42 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Agreed. Williams looked really bad. Hopefully he improves as the season goes on, but we're definitely going to miss Nelson back there. 

Also agree on Dansby. He looked old and slow. Too bad he didn't want to come here two years ago before going to Cleveland.  Whatever

I thought the same thing about Dansby three or four times during the game.

I would add Guenther to the "Goat List".  They were getting absolutely no pressure with four rushers, yet they kept doing it.  The few times they did send an extra guy, they got pressure.
Reply/Quote
It also felt like they were consistently leaving one side of the field unprotected on third downs.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 06:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You and I both said Dre would get picked on. He didn't.

Marshall and Decker combined for 5 catches on 15 targets. 69 yards and the TD.

I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong and give the kid some props.
Yeah, Dre had a pretty ok game. Arguable that he was PI'd on hat TD too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
The defensive issue was much more getting zero pressure and constantly getting snookered by misdirection running plays than anything else.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 06:53 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Yeah, Dre had a pretty ok game. Arguable that he was PI'd on hat TD too.

I'm in the middle on DreK. I definitely think he's overpaid and I wouldn't mind letting him walk after this season.

That said, if you hold that duo (Marshall and Decker) to those numbers, you did something right. 2 negative plays don't negate that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 05:44 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I agree that of course the Bengals OL made mistakes but it was more of the Jets DL playing out of their minds, then the Bengals OL falling asleep.

Maybe. I guess we'll see over the course of the season. As good as the Jets D-Line is, I doubt they'll be racking up 7 sacks most weeks. They are good though, im certainly not saying they only looked good cause of how bad we were. They are one of the best.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 05:32 PM)Joelist Wrote: So who would your lists be?

I probably should have included Hunt but I keep remembering he was also part of an awful DL performance today too.

Hunt played well on the D-line as well. He really had his best game as a pro that I can recall and was probably the defensive player of the game when you consider his FG block.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 06:42 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Agreed. Williams looked really bad. Hopefully he improves as the season goes on, but we're definitely going to miss Nelson back there. 

That job is not his to keep no matter what with Derron Smith sitting behind him, imo.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 07:18 PM)M.W. Wrote: Hunt played well on the D-line as well. He really had his best game as a pro that I can recall and was probably the defensive player of the game when you consider his FG block.

He did play well.  He basically equaled the output from his entire career to this point.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 06:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Goats....some poor tackling on ST.

That is something the Bengals have been good at for years.  Don't want to see them slip in that area.

No doubt! It took nearly 5 attempts (failed tackles) before they took the ball carrier down. Pathetic would be complimentary. They were probably going for strips but not wise today.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 05:49 PM)McC Wrote: And there was no one on the bench to give him a rest.
Geno only played 75 percent of snaps the most anyone played on dl was 83 percent by mj
(09-11-2016, 06:08 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Did Rey Mauluga get hurt? Checked the box score and he didn't have a single tackle. I don't remember hearing anything about him getting hurt but I may have missed it. 
Jets game plan was wrong for Rey mallaluga they didn't want him covering forte out of the backfield

Dude had 11 tackles not sure why the hate?
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 06:27 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:
Goat:

-Shawn Williams was absolutely TERRIBLE. Take how bad Bodine was for the O and that's how bad Williams was for the D. Had to be half a dozen+ missed tackles, and an INT that hit him right in the hands that he dropped. I didn't think he'd be a proper replacement for Nelson, but I didn't expect that bad of a showing.

I really think Derron Smith will be starting by the end of the season. They ought to give him a chance, but it probably won't happen unless Williams gets injured. Not wishing that on him or anything, but we need a ballhawk back there.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote

- - - - - - -

Hero:
-Hunt legitimately surprised me, though. Didn't think he had that kind of game in him. Hope he has more coming. I've been harsh on the guy (deservedly so), but I need to recognize when he does well.

Goat:

-Whoever decided to run the ball twice in a row for a loss coming out of the 2 minute warning. Not sure if that was Ken, or a Marvin directive. Just know it was awful. Short quick passes got you there and you abandon them for runs for losses and you're not even in proper field goal range yet.

-Whoever thought they needed to manufacture touches for James Wright. It led to a -8 yard reverse. James Wright isn't a guy you manufacture touches for.

Gotta agree, I though DreK was lackluster at best.....and we shoulda saved the coin on him and Williams to pay Reggie, cause Williams looked like shit.

Not only running twice, but hell, looked like the same damn play! 

(09-11-2016, 06:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Jets were sitting on the quick outside pass by then.  I have no problem with those calls.

I didn't mind a run, necessarily, but the plays were too similar to each other.  

(09-11-2016, 06:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I wouldn't have minded them if they were on the 30 or whatnot, but they weren't even in proper FG range when they did it. It's also the second time that really got to me. Did it once, it didn't work. Lets try again!

As if we didn't know Bodine was going to get blown up.

Yup.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Hero: Hunt, Dalton, AJ.
Goat: Coach Alexander for his penchant to attach to below average centers. Of course Bodine, Big Z, and Rookie OT
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 05:26 PM)Joelist Wrote: I am trying to put the players today into two general "clubs" - heroes and goats. So, who would you put in the hero and goat clubs today?

For me:

The Hero Club

Andy Dalton - No pass protection at all and still had a 114 Passer Rating, Game Winning Drive and 366 yards.

AJ Green - 180 yards receiving on Revis Island! Bunch of tough catches too.

Josh Shaw - Made it happen in the clutch with the INT to end it

The Goat Club

Russell Bodine - got owned all day causing unblocked defenders right up the middle

Kevin Zeitler - See Russell Boden

The whole DL - no pressure against rookies

I would add Lafell, Hunt and Uzomah to the hero club and whether people like or not, Nuge.

I know he missed one kick but he made a couple big time clutch ones as well. The toro one and the game winner.

Dre is a goat.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 02:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would add Lafell, Hunt and Uzomah to the hero club and whether people like or not, Nuge.

I know he missed one kick but he made a couple big time clutch ones as well. The toro one and the game winner.

Dre is a goat.

True on Uzomah, thought he really came through well for first game. 
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 02:09 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Jets game plan was wrong for Rey mallaluga they didn't want him covering forte out of the backfield

Heard on the radio he only played 8 snaps this week. With how most teams use their RB nowadays it's hard to imagine him seeing the field too much more with him getting slower and slower. 
Reply/Quote

- - - - - - -

Hero:

Goat:

I questioned that also, but noticed Green was gimpy on the sidelines and not in the game.
Reply/Quote