Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Coverage
(11-04-2015, 05:41 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'll take him over his son Chris "Bangles" (cue the voice cracking) Sims all day long....

"Bangles" is the correct pronunciation of the word. 
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 06:35 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: "Bangles" is the correct pronunciation of the word. 

I don't like it!  Lol
Reply/Quote
Nanzy and Simms ..translation = few minute delay on audio to listen to Laph and Hoard.. I can live with that.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 06:35 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: "Bangles" is the correct pronunciation of the word. 

No.

I have talked to many Indians and Pakistanis about areas they are from and sometimes about different regions including the Bay of Bengal and surrounding areas.  Different areas have slightly different pronunciations but the one thing they all have in common is where the syllable break is and how the first syllable is pronounced.  The first syllable is Ben.  The second syllable does have minor variations.  The most common one I have heard are either the same as you might expect from the spelling.  Pretty much the same as gall as in gall bladder.  The second most common (and most common among Americans which I too use) I've heard is somewhere between putting an "LS" sound at the end of the word go and the word ghouls without any emphasis on the vowels.

I guess the most common mispronunciation I see is just the syllable break which is what people here were mocking Chris Simms for but he is also wrong by making the soft "E" sound like a long "A".

I did check to see what dictionary.com says just now and it is the same as I just described http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bengal
Reply/Quote
Sorry I don't live in the local markets. I just saw that it was on NFLN exclusively then I looked at the CBS Thursday night schedule and didn't see Thursday Night Football listed. If it is locally then good for you guys, but i'll be streaming it from here in the OBX.
Reply/Quote
Will set the DVR accordingly.

But watching live at PBS.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The Thursday night games have been on local channel 12 this year. I know this because I've watched them.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully that doesn't mean Mayock is the announcer. He's my favorite draft analysis. Announcer...... Not so much.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 03:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: Hopefully that doesn't mean Mayock is the announcer. He's my favorite draft analysis. Announcer...... Not so much.

Yup Mayock is a garbage in game guy, but his draft stuff is top notch. Hes far better then Kiper Jr.
Reply/Quote
When they first started having the Thursday night games they were not on any channel other then the NFLN. Maybe that is why some people think they used to be blacked out.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 12:25 AM)Penn Wrote: No.

I have talked to many Indians and Pakistanis about areas they are from and sometimes about different regions including the Bay of Bengal and surrounding areas.  Different areas have slightly different pronunciations but the one thing they all have in common is where the syllable break is and how the first syllable is pronounced.  The first syllable is Ben.  The second syllable does have minor variations.  The most common one I have heard are either the same as you might expect from the spelling.  Pretty much the same as gall as in gall bladder.  The second most common (and most common among Americans which I too use) I've heard is somewhere between putting an "LS" sound at the end of the word go and the word ghouls without any emphasis on the vowels.

I guess the most common mispronunciation I see is just the syllable break which is what people here were mocking Chris Simms for but he is also wrong by making the soft "E" sound like a long "A".

I did check to see what dictionary.com says just now and it is the same as I just described http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bengal

in official team videos, the Bengals media staff pronounces it "Bangulls", and it's been like that for as long as they've been releasing videos.  I don't really care how Pakistanis pronounce it, to be honest.  I'm sure that isn't the only word that they'll Pronounce differently than the Bengals.
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 06:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When they first started having the Thursday night games they were not on any channel other then the NFLN.  Maybe that is why some people think they used to be blacked out.

They've been simulcast in the local market all along. Unfortunately though, they aren't broadcast in the Dayton TV market, so I won't be watching it from the comfort of my sofa.
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 07:42 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: They've been simulcast in the local market all along. Unfortunately though, they aren't broadcast in the Dayton TV market, so I won't be watching it from the comfort of my sofa.

Your sig is darkly funny and mildly disturbing at the same time.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 07:54 PM)McC Wrote: Your sig is darkly funny and mildly disturbing at the same time.

That was a real life video of Andy Dalton when he found out he'd be playing the Manziel led Browns.
LFG  

Reply/Quote
tf is going on with andy in that vid, what sane woman (or man) wouldn't fall for that
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 08:15 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: tf is going on with andy in that vid, what sane woman (or man) wouldn't fall for that

I know I'm half chubbed up over it..
LFG  

Reply/Quote

Bengals.....

[Image: 4-plays-need-to-improve-bengals.jpg]

Bangles......

[Image: 1408323343681]
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 08:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Bengals.....

[Image: 4-plays-need-to-improve-bengals.jpg]

Bangles......

[Image: 1408323343681]

In spelling, no doubt. In pronunciation, indistinguishable without context.
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 05:14 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I just need to know if I can stay at home or if I have to go out to a sport bar.

Build a sports bar at home. Two-way win for you.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 08:35 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Build a sports bar at home. Two-way win for you.

No, that will increase our drunkedness fan rating which is correctly the lowest in the league.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote