Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gameplan- Scouting the Jets
The acquisition of Matt Forte paints a pretty clear picture of priority 1 for the Jets:  Run the ball.

Last year, they ran the ball 36 times, and passed it only 24, in the opener at home against the Browns.  The game was actually closer than the score would indicate the had more than its share of "only the Browns" moments.  They basically seemed content to grind it out and let Cleveland make mistakes. 

This year, I could see the Jets not only rushing the ball a great deal, but utilizing a lot of check downs to Forte out of the backfield.  This is something that gives the Bengals problems.  I remember the KC game, and on that team with little to no WR talent, they would send three or four receivers up field only to dump it off to Jamal Charles on 3rd and 9 who would make the first down.  Frustrating.  It might be putting a lot on Dansby's plate to try and cover him out of the backfield.  We already know Maualuga and Rey won't likely be able to.  This is the only real concern I have on defense.  Stopping the checkdown game.  We know our front four can get pressure.  Take away the dump offs and screens with tight coverage to prevent Fitz from getting the ball out quickly...and let the big dogs eat.  If Fitz gets knocked out of the game by a hard sack, Geno Smith isn't winning anything for them.  Make him uncomfortable with a lot of pressure in his face. 

I hope the Bengals plan to attack early down the field with Green, Boyd, and Lafell to try and build an early lead and force the Jets in to a passing game.  If Fitzy is forced to throw the ball 35 times, at least one will come to the Bengals.  The Bengals need to attack the Jets by spreading out and forcing their bigger LBs to tackle in space.  Make them chase and beat their blockers.  I expect the Bengals to be in 3-wide sets almost the entire game.  Utilize Core's speed to help take the top off the defense and let Boyd and AJ work underneath. 

Most importantly, take your shots.  Don't play all short and let the Jets get away with only covering a small portion of the field.  Attack them. 

I see Bengals 24, Jets 16
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My game plan is the opposite on offense, I want to do what "Dalton" does best, nice quick passing with a occassional downfield passes, I want to see us pound the rock with both Hill and Gio and our great check downs to Gio, control the clock, you control the game. On defense don;t give up big plays down the field, we have been a great bend don;t break defense i want to see that continue. Put them in 3rd down and long, win on the 3rd down, outplay them on special teams, control the clock on Offense , take the crowd out of the game.

Who Dey 24 to 13
Reply/Quote
Check downs and quick passes to TEs have been the demise of the of Bengals. With Burflict out, expect a lot of short passes for easy yardage over the middle. Maualuga and Dansby better be ready.

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 11:07 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Check downs and quick passes to TEs have been the demise of the of Bengals. With Burflict out, expect a lot of short passes for easy yardage over the middle. Maualuga and Dansby better be ready.

This is why i was so glad when Heath retired he killed us year in and year out but dansby is amazing at guarding tight ends so hopefully...
Reply/Quote
The Bengals now have Dansby and Vigil to cover these guys. I don't think TE's and check downs to RB's will be as big of a problem as its been in the past.
Reply/Quote
I'm curious how often we'll use gadget/trick plays, or (forgive me I'm a dummy) plays where the formation changes right before the snap. I always love seeing a confused defense.

I'd like to see us start off with a solid run game that allows us to see our new receivers' potential in action. On defense I'm more worried about our corners than check downs.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 10:11 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: My game plan is the opposite on offense, I want to do what "Dalton" does best, nice quick passing with a occassional downfield passes, I want to see us pound the rock with both Hill and Gio and our great check downs to Gio, control the clock, you control the game.  On defense don;t give up big plays down the field, we have been a great bend don;t break defense i want to see that continue.  Put them in 3rd down and long, win on the 3rd down, outplay them on special teams, control the clock on Offense , take the crowd out of the game.

Who Dey   24 to 13

Provided you are not playing Peyton Manning and the Colts in their heyday!

They Dolphins once held the ball for 45 minutes against them and still lost...
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 11:47 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: The Bengals now have Dansby and Vigil to cover these guys. I don't think TE's and check downs to RB's will be as big of a problem as its been in the past.

Counting on an aging vet and a rookie..... Yup it'll be an issue.

Reply/Quote
If the Jets really do plan on grinding it out on the ground, then I am more than confident with the abilities of our front 7. Dansby is actually perfect for what you were describing, as far as tracking down the shifty check down men. In that regard I'm not concerned. Unless Dansby has absolutely, completely fallen of the wagon then he is a huge upgrade to our LBs in passing situations.

I think we actually match up really well with the Jets. Fitz has never been know to be particularly adept at the long ball, which is where I feel our secondary's biggest weakness lies. If we can keep up with the bend-don't-break style D and let Andy & Co. make some plays we'll be in a good spot.
Reply/Quote
Have Atkins, Dunlap and Company dominate to set up LBs stuffing the run and not much time to burn our DBs. Solid defense and keep the score close enough to give our offense a chance. Good games from our RBs both running and catching. ...FEW PENALTIES....FEW TURNOVERS.....GET OUT OF NEW YORK WITH ANY KIND OF WIN....Bengals are far from being at full strength, but I think Bengals get players back and rookies get better as season goes along....Just get out with any kind of win.....BLOCK AND TACKLE.....NO QUIT.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Do the same as the Jacksonville game didnt have any problem beating them 21-3
Reply/Quote
Jets have yet to even name their RT for this game. Could be a big game for Michael Johnson to remind us all what he can do. Not saying it has to be flashy but shutting down the run on his side and tipping a pass or picking up the ball if Jets fumble wouldn't surprise me from him. I think he's still got it.

Brandon Marshall is playing with a sore hip. Hopefully Dre, Adam Jones, and the safeties can contain him to an extent. That is to say, I wouldn't be surprised if he still put up 100 yards and a TD but I'm hoping that's as bad as it gets. Forte is a pass catching threat and Fitz is mobile but I still feel like our D should match up well overall. Geno and Dunlap will get to him eventually. Iloka and Williams will probably have a ton of tackles in our typical bend but don't break style. I'd imagine them mostly fading back into zone coverage as the Jets are weak at TE and play a lot of spread formation Offense.

On offense, I'm thinking Dalton comes back in last years form. Revis is scary but Dalton is smart enough not to throw at him unless his guy is wide open. Green will still get some yardage (mostly on the few plays where he isn't covered by Revis) but you can imagine Boyd and Kroft seeing a lot of the passes coming their ways. Meanwhile Hill and Gio will get plenty of work on the ground with Sheldon Richardson suspended. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we run it more times than we pass it.

I have no idea what Lafell will do. I didn't see enough of him in the pre-season to really judge. Maybe they'll ease him in with a few throws his way? I guess a lot would depend on if he can get open.

I believe Bowles is a good coach. He plays a conservative game which will take him far in this league. Still the talent the Jets will be fielding just doesn't match up well. So as long as we don't make mistakes (mismanage the clock or commit foolish turnovers), I think we will likely win. That isn't to say this is a gimme game though. We could lose and still be a very good team this season (though we do need this game quite a bit considering how tough our first 6 are).

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 06:11 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Jets have yet to even name their RT for this game. Could be a big game for Michael Johnson to remind us all what he can do. Not saying it has to be flashy but shutting down the run on his side and tipping a pass or picking up the ball if Jets fumble wouldn't surprise me from him. I think he's still got it.

Brandon Marshall is playing with a sore hip. Hopefully Dre, Adam Jones, and the safeties can contain him to an extent. That is to say, I wouldn't be surprised if he still put up 100 yards and a TD but I'm hoping that's as bad as it gets. Forte is a pass catching threat and Fitz is mobile but I still feel like our D should match up well overall. Geno and Dunlap will get to him eventually. Iloka and Williams will probably have a ton of tackles in our typical bend but don't break style. I'd imagine them mostly fading back into zone coverage as the Jets are weak at TE and play a lot of spread formation Offense.

On offense, I'm thinking Dalton comes back in last years form. Revis is scary but Dalton is smart enough not to throw at him unless his guy is wide open. Green will still get some yardage (mostly on the few plays where he isn't covered by Revis) but you can imagine Boyd and Kroft seeing a lot of the passes coming their ways. Meanwhile Hill and Gio will get plenty of work on the ground with Sheldon Richardson suspended. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we run it more times than we pass it.

I have no idea what Lafell will do. I didn't see enough of him in the pre-season to really judge. Maybe they'll ease him in with a few throws his way? I guess a lot would depend on if he can get open.

I believe Bowles is a good coach. He plays a conservative game which will take him far in this league. Still the talent the Jets will be fielding just doesn't match up well. So as long as we don't make mistakes (mismanage the clock or commit foolish turnovers), I think we will likely win. That isn't to say this is a gimme game though. We could lose and still be a very good team this season (though we do need this game quite a bit considering how tough our first 6 are).

Perhaps I am misinterpreting what you are saying there, but MJ will go against Ryan Clady, their LT.  Dunlap will be facing Ben Ijalana, the first string RT.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 11:07 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Check downs and quick passes to TEs have been the demise of the of Bengals. With Burflict out, expect a lot of short passes for easy yardage over the middle. Maualuga and Dansby better be ready.

I hate when we think the past few years have been a demise of TEs against the Bengals, the stats don't paint that picture especially most recent time . 

I might have missed a couple catches from backups etc but below is the stats of starting Tight Ends in our 17 games (including playoffs).  Sure some player like Miller might have good games but that is 2 games out of a season and in the playoffs we shut him down to 2 catches for 9 yards.

2015 Season Starting Tight Ends Average

Catches 4
YPG  42
TDs  1

We played great against TEs last year, we allowed just ONE TD and only averaged 42 yards allowed by the starters. 
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 07:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We played great against TEs last year 

Whatever

Reply/Quote
I know Maualuga can't do it; I wonder is Dansby can??? Actually IMO Dansby wasn't doing all that well in preseason --lot's of missed tackles. Oh well, let the season begin!!!
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 10:39 PM)Derrick Wrote: I know Maualuga can't do it; I wonder *if Dansby can??? Actually IMO Dansby wasn't doing all that well in preseason --lot's of missed tackles. Oh well, let the season begin!!!

Doubt it. This is what makes me nervous. Easy passes for 7+ yards over the middle on 2nd and longs/ 3rd and longs.

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 11:47 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: The Bengals now have Dansby and Vigil to cover these guys. I don't think TE's and check downs to RB's will be as big of a problem as its been in the past.

Yep, believe Dansby will be huge acquisition for Defense this year.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 06:22 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Perhaps I am misinterpreting what you are saying there, but MJ will go against Ryan Clady, their LT.  Dunlap will be facing Ben Ijalana, the first string RT.

My bad, you're absolutely right. So probably a big day for Dunlap then. 

Reply/Quote
I think they'll try to send either Boyd or Core deep sometime in the game and hope they knock the top off jets defense, but whadoiknow? Mostly I'm hoping we're undefeated on 9-12..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote