Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Games 1 - 4 very important for 2016 season
I know teams like to look at their schedule in quarters and I personally think games 1 - 4 this season are the most important.

Obviously all NFL games are difficult and a glance at the Bengals schedule shows games 1 - 6 are a gauntlet to start the season. But games 1 - 4 for me are of the most important, mainly due to our injury situation. If we can somehow come out of this stretch 3-1 I think we'll be off an running. Burfict will be back, Eifert should be close, our 2 injured O-lineman will hopefully both be back in the mix adding depth.

This is just one of those fluky years where we open with 2 straight on the road, one against a divisional foe, and we're not at full strength. If we can just weather the storm and not get anymore critical injuries (fingers crossed) I like our chances.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
IN my mind, if we get to 2-0 without additional injuries and manage to score 50 points between the 2 games, then we will be fine for our home opener and will be 5-0 heading to NE on 10/16.
Reply/Quote
Typically, this team comes hot out of the gate, and then fades down the home stretch.

Perhaps this will be the year that the team gathers and builds momentum, peaking at the end of the season?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 11:07 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Typically, this team comes hot out of the gate, and then fades down the home stretch.

Perhaps this will be the year that the team gathers and builds momentum, peaking at the end of the season?

December record last four seasons
2012  4-1
2013  4-1
2014 2-2
2016  2-2 (with backup QB)

So we are 10-6 in December games over the past 4 years and we are 3-1 in our final game the last four years, so please explain how  we are fading down the stretch in REGULAR SEASON ?
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 11:24 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: December record last four seasons
2012  4-1
2013  4-1
2014 2-2

So we are 10-6 in December games over the past 4 years and we are 3-1 in our final game the last four years, so please explain how  we are fading down the stretch in REGULAR SEASON ?

0-5 in first round playoff games.  I see that you tried to make it conditional, by emphasizing regular season.  That would be fine, if the regular season was it, but it's not, if you qualify for the playoffs, the season continues.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 11:31 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 0-5 in first round playoff games.  I see that you tried to make it conditional, by emphasizing regular season.  That would be fine, if the regular season was it, but it's not, if you qualify for the playoffs, the season continues.

To be honest when I read "fade down the stretch" I assumed that meant the last 1/4 of the regular season also.  To me the playoffs is a brand new season.  You want to go in with momentum and outside of the last couple of years we have done that.  Although last year has a asterisks because we lost our QB.

Obviously all games are important throughout the year.  It does seem we always tend to have that month long stretch where we drop 2 or 3 out of 4.  But in general we've been fairly consistent throughout the regular season over the last 4 or 5 years.  It's them damn playoffs..
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 11:07 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Typically, this team comes hot out of the gate, and then fades down the home stretch.

In 2012, we won 7 of 8 to end the year.

Won 3 straight to end '08, 5-3 to end the year in 2007, and made a run to almost make the playoffs in 2006.

I do see what you're getting at but I think your theory is kind of unfounded.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Think with all the injuries and new starters the team will be forced to play motivated as a team the entire season to even make playoffs.

This may end up being exactly what they need to kick the door down upon arrival.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 11:31 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 0-5 in first round playoff games.  I see that you tried to make it conditional, by emphasizing regular season.  That would be fine, if the regular season was it, but it's not, if you qualify for the playoffs, the season continues.

He had it right and this is a sad attempt to reframe your statement.  A statement unsupported by facts.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 02:03 PM)motoarch Wrote: He had it right and this is a sad attempt to reframe your statement.  A statement unsupported by facts.

What part of being one and done in playoffs is not a fact in support of not being able to finish a season?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 02:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What part of being one and done in playoffs is not a fact in support of not being able to finish a season?

Every playoff team but 1 ends the season with a loss.  This makes the stat a little less robust.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 02:49 PM)TGISunday Wrote: Every playoff team but 1 ends the season with a loss.  This makes the stat a little less robust.

I thought the Bengals were a championship quality team last year, and in '13.  In '14, I didn't have that feeling, as the injuries ate up their chances.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

here is the problem, the thread is talking about regular season, also when you say fading down the stretch, the stretch is leading into the playoffs.. teams as a whole that fade down the stretch mean they probably did not make the playoffs..  so sorry i guess you misread the thread or are unclear what down the stretch of a season means.
Reply/Quote
Even if the Bengals go 0-4 or 1-3 the first 4 games, I think we recover and make the playoffs. This team has great potential.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 11:05 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: IN my mind, if we get to 2-0 without additional injuries and manage to score 50 points between the 2 games, then we will be fine for our home opener and will be 5-0 heading to NE on 10/16.

Being cautiously optimistic, and from franchise history, hoping for the best, but expecting disappointment, I agree with this assessment all the way.

If they go 2-0, and do it convincingly, stay relatively healthy, I think they set the tone for the season.

That's what I'm hoping for, but my gut feels, between the preferential treatment the Steelers get, I sense the Steelers goading them into the same ole same ole.
Reply/Quote
Trevor Siemian named starter for the Broncos.

I hope I don't regret saying this but this might be good for us??
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 07:57 PM)Whacked Wrote: Trevor Siemian named starter for the Broncos.

I hope I don't regret saying this but this might be good for us??

Broncos may be calling about AJ Ninja And this is why we picked up Driskel Ninja

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 08:10 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Broncos may be calling about AJ Ninja And this is why we picked up Driskel Ninja

I think we picked up driskl to get a year in our system before trading mccarron next season. Was very surprised we let Dawson leave after 1 year
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 11:24 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: December record last four seasons
2012  4-1
2013  4-1
2014 2-2

Hey Fred Toast, err I mean Essex. Sunset's point is valid whether you will admit it or not. It matters little in the grand scheme of things (winning the Super bowl) ! What your record is in the last four games against scrub teams that aren't making the playoffs. We lose the vast majority of games that matter, games that would give us home field advantage, 1st round byes, statement games against top level NFL teams, games against our Division rival that takes us out behind the woodshed and spanks our little bottom blue - The Pittsburgh Steelers.

In 2015 we lost to the Steelers, the Broncos, and the Steelers again in 3 of the last 5 games. These were the games especially the last Steeler loss, that mattered - hence we faded when it mattered most.

I could go on through every season and point out the games that mattered that we lost but I don't have the time and it doesn't matter. The fact is time and again we fold up when it really matters, deny it all you want. But 0-7 is all that needs said. 

If winning the Super Bowl isn't goal, what is ?
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 10:43 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: I know teams like to look at their schedule in quarters and I personally think games 1 - 4 this season are the most important.

Obviously all NFL games are difficult and a glance at the Bengals schedule shows games 1 - 6 are a gauntlet to start the season.  But games 1 - 4 for me are of the most important, mainly due to our injury situation.  If we can somehow come out of this stretch 3-1 I think we'll be off an running.  Burfict will be back, Eifert should be close, our 2 injured O-lineman will hopefully both be back in the mix adding depth.

This is just one of those fluky years where we open with 2 straight on the road, one against a divisional foe, and we're not at full strength.  If we can just weather the storm and not get anymore critical injuries (fingers crossed) I like our chances.

Thoughts?

Honestly without Burfict and Eifert, I would be happy to come out of that 2 - 2.  
Reply/Quote