Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gardens
(06-20-2016, 11:02 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I've also grown potatoes in 3 stacked tires. You just knock the tires over at harvest time instead of digging. 

That's an awesome idea.

I'm mixed on raised beds because I hate to build something and then tear it down and store it or throw it away at the end of summer. But using tires would solve a lot of problems and I wouldn't mind just pitching them come fall. As a bonus, I live in Kentucky — there's no shortage of old tires.

Thanks!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2016, 03:49 PM)Benton Wrote: That's an awesome idea.

I'm mixed on raised beds because I hate to build something and then tear it down and store it or throw it away at the end of summer. But using tires would solve a lot of problems and I wouldn't mind just pitching them come fall. As a bonus, I live in Kentucky — there's no shortage of old tires.

Thanks!

Why would you tear down the raised beds?  No one I know, that gardens in this fashion, does this.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-21-2016, 04:34 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Why would you tear down the raised beds?  No one I know, that gardens in this fashion, does this.

I dont have much yard. I dont like taking up the space with raised beds through the fall.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2016, 06:15 PM)Benton Wrote: I dont have much yard. I dont like taking up the space with raised beds through the fall.

What do you do with that section of yard when you are not gardening it?

Reply/Quote
(06-21-2016, 06:15 PM)Benton Wrote: I dont have much yard. I dont like taking up the space with raised beds through the fall.

We would plant fall Mums in our beds, then after that till in some compost in preparation for next years crops. Small yards present a challenge for sure, but in my part of KY they're kind of ignored thru the winter.

Another space-saving trick you might like is take an 8 foot length of 1" pipe, attach a bicycle wheel to the top and "plant" it into the ground, leaving the wheel 6 feet above ground. Then tie heavy string every few inches around the wheel and anchor the other end on the ground (6 to 8 inch spacing) with a brick/large rock etc, ultimately making a Christmas tree shape. Plant varieties of string/pole beans (we also planted lemon squash this way) at each ground anchor point, and they will vine all the way up to the wheel. Harvesting beans are really easy using this method and the whole thing looks pretty cool at plant maturity.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2016, 06:55 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: What do you do with that section of yard when you are not gardening it?

Usually that's where the volleyball net is through the fall and spring. In the winter its where I print out the sites worst posts and sacrificially burn them, praying for a better message board harvest next year.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2016, 09:19 AM)Benton Wrote: In the winter its where I print out the sites worst posts and sacrificially burn them, praying for a better message board harvest next year.

How has that been working for you?

Reply/Quote
(06-22-2016, 10:08 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: How has that been working for you?

It's like trimming your toenails. You aren't sure how bad it can get if you stop, so you just keep doing it.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2016, 11:06 AM)Benton Wrote: It's like trimming your toenails. 

Why do you trim SCSs toenails?  Sad

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2016, 09:19 AM)Benton Wrote: Usually that's where the volleyball net is through the fall and spring. In the winter its where I print out the sites worst posts and sacrificially burn them, praying for a better message board harvest next year.

I'm trying to get better, I really am.  Its just hard around here with a few other certain posters bringing the whole joint down. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(06-23-2016, 02:03 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Why do you trim SCSs toenails?  Sad

Why do you trim my nose hairs?  Why ask why?

Reply/Quote

Because he refuses to wear stocks to bed.
Mellow
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2016, 12:11 PM)Benton Wrote: So I was reading another thread and didn't want to derail it, but it got me thinking about gardens. Anyone plant regularly? Have any luck? What do you grow?

My daughter and I planted one again this year. It's my third attempt in about six years. So far, I've got one golf ball size tomato and nothing else is coming up. Which is fairly frustrating. Our yard only has about an inch of dirt, under that it's a gravel pit, all clay and rocks. Twice I've put top soil on, but it rains pretty heavy in western Kentucky, so all the soil just runs off after a couple weeks.
You need a raised bed then.
(06-22-2016, 09:19 AM)Benton Wrote:
Usually that's where the volleyball net is through the fall and spring
. In the winter its where I print out the sites worst posts and sacrificially burn them, praying for a better message board harvest next year.
 Which just compacts the ground so you can be certain nothing will grow.
Reply/Quote

He gets a black eye whenever he tries to trim his own.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2016, 03:12 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Why do you trim my nose hairs?  Why ask why?

(06-23-2016, 04:54 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Because he refuses to wear stocks to bed.
Mellow

Two birds with one stone.

Because, Barbarian.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2016, 07:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Two birds with one stone.

Because, Barbarian.

It's interesting that you refer to yourself and Roto as birds.   Cool

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 09:57 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: It's interesting that you refer to yourself and Roto as birds.   Cool

(To be read in Trump's voice)

Soarin' like eagles baby !
Murica !!

Just don't be eyeballin' our stone, weirdo.
I know it's yuge, but it's ours and it's the best thing going.
You could never hope to have a stone so good.
It's the stone in which all other stones are measured by.
Pleb.
*adjusts coif*
*strut ensues*
Reply/Quote
Nothing but this came to mind:

Reply/Quote