Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broncos pursuing McCarron?

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 01:59 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We are getting hands down the back up QB in the league in 2017 factoring in his salary and experience, not even close. I know many think all teams can spend as much as they want, but they can't so a guy like AJ making $700K to fill a key back up role versus 2 to 3 million matters.

We re getting a ton for him right now in experience and value in case AD goes down!

You are wrong. That is Jimmy Garoppolo, and it's not even close.
I'd also consider making Matt Moore the second best backup, though apparently Gase was looking for more Bromance with Cutler.

If Dalton goes down, we're screwed. McCarron won't change that.

(08-09-2017, 03:59 PM)BleedNOrange Wrote: If Dalton goes down for any significant amount of time, the season is lost.  We are not good enough (and most teams aren't) to overcome losing our starting QB.  So basically you don't want to trade McCarron for a potential starter for the risk of having to play McCarron for 2-3 games at most out of 16, similar to the end of 2015.  In a perfect scenario, McCarron never sees the field so he is not adding any value.  They need to at least hear offers.

Yup.

(08-09-2017, 04:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Everyone that has been clamoring for AJ to be traded sure will look silly if we get to 8-1 and then Dalton gets hurt and we have to finish the season with Driskell...

Why, so McCarron can take the best offensive weapons this team has ever seen... and beat the 5-win Ryan Mallett-led Ravens and 5-win Blaine Gabbert-led 49ers, while losing to anyone that actually resembles a real NFL team?

Yeah, we will look real silly. Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 03:59 PM)BleedNOrange Wrote: If Dalton goes down for any significant amount of time, the season is lost.  We are not good enough (and most teams aren't) to overcome losing our starting QB.  So basically you don't want to trade McCarron for a potential starter for the risk of having to play McCarron for 2-3 games at most out of 16, similar to the end of 2015.  In a perfect scenario, McCarron never sees the field so he is not adding any value.  They need to at least hear offers.

True, but what if we just need someone to hold serve for a few weeks until Dalton is back on the field?  The NFL's concussion protocol makes a starting QB missing a game or two a lot more likely now, so I wouldn't just assume Dalton missing time means missing the rest of the season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 07:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: True, but what if we just need someone to hold serve for a few weeks until Dalton is back on the field?  The NFL's concussion protocol makes a starting QB missing a game or two a lot more likely now, so I wouldn't just assume Dalton missing time means missing the rest of the season.

Agreed, which is exactly why I said we would be holding on to him for maybe 2-3 games of service.  That is also why I said in a perfect scenario, Dalton doesn't miss any time.
Reply/Quote
It's pretty much a moot point as there wasn't much, if anything to these rumors.

Kapearnick is still out there so we wouldn't have to go driskell. If the broncos would have included siemian in any deal he could get us thru 1-3 games just as well. This thread has pretty much run its course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 05:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:  
You are wrong. That is Jimmy Garoppolo, and it's not even close.

I'd also consider making Matt Moore the second best backup, though apparently Gase was looking for more Bromance with Cutler.

If Dalton goes down, we're screwed. McCarron won't change that.

Yup.

Why, so McCarron can take the best offensive weapons this team has ever seen... and beat the 5-win Ryan Mallett-led Ravens and 5-win Blaine Gabbert-led 49ers, while losing to anyone that actually resembles a real NFL team?

Yeah, we will look real silly. Ninja
Garoppolo makes 1.1 million or 400k more and will be a free agent in 2018 while AJ will not be a free agent in 2018 meaning one more year of value. But yes I did forget Jimmy, but I am not sold he is that much better than AJ, he plays in a great system, but we will see if Pats pay him big bucks in 2018 or trade him
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 09:28 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Garoppolo makes 1.1 million or 400k more and will be a free agent in 2018 while AJ will not be a free agent in 2018 meaning one more year of value. But yes I did forget Jimmy, but I am not sold he is that much better than AJ, he plays in a great system, but we will see if Pats pay him big bucks in 2018 or trade him

He plays in a great system, but McCarron had AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, Tyler Eifert, and Gio Bernard, with Hue Jackson as his OC when he played (plus the OL was good that year, Dalton was only sacked like 21 times in 12+ games). Garoppolo had Edelman, Hogan, Amendola, Blount, and Bennett. (Gronk was out.) The talent level of skill players they had is incomparable, and Garoppolo still put up better numbers.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 11:56 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Denver will get AJ McCarron
Cincinnati will get a First Round Pick in next years draft, a conditional Second Round pick and Von Miller after Denver extends him for three years and pays his contract so Bengals get him for free for next three years.

That's the only way Mike Brown will do a trade or for $10,000,000.00

Cant you just see Mike Brown doing one of these when Elway asks what he wants?
[Image: 762195e1666497074ede151e0cbeb39738a411d9...b6011f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 08:17 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: It's pretty much a moot point as there wasn't much, if anything to these rumors.  

Kapearnick is still out there so we wouldn't have to go driskell.  If the broncos would have included siemian in any deal he could get us thru 1-3 games just as well.  This thread has pretty much run its course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would not want Kapearnick, even if it meant going 0-16.
That guy is a despicable disgrace.
[Image: forumpic2.jpg]
When I die, I will get to shake Mr. Paul Browns hand and hear him say "Damn, you never stopped believing, did you?"
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 10:47 PM)jtsmith38 Wrote: Would not want Kapearnick, even if it meant going 0-16.
That guy is a despicable disgrace.

While I don't condone what Kaepernick did by any means...was what he did worse than Roethlisberger and the alleged rape and some of the other things that happened in the NFL? Granted Roethlisberger was never charged.

Or how about a guy like Mixon punching a girl? Was that worse than what Kaepernick did? Mixon gets a 2nd change.

Or how about guys who get suspended for PED's or drugs? They get 2nd chances.

Or Adam Jones? He's gotten about 5 2nd chances.

I mean people want freedom of speech in the US until someone does something they don't like.

Do I agree with Kaepernick? No. Do I think he's a huge idiot? Yes. Do I think what he did deserves banishment from the NFL. No. There are guys playing who have done far worse.
Reply/Quote
Glad you guys are smart enough to not really buy into that stuff. Really ridiculous. And untrue of course.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 11:00 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Glad you guys are smart enough to not really buy into that stuff. Really ridiculous. And untrue of course.

Yeah for several reasons...the main one being they have 2 QB's that are similar in skills to McCarron that know their system.

Jim - IF the Bengals got offered a 1st Round pick for McCarron...right now - Would they trade him in your opinion?

I tend to think they wouldn't because they'd be down to Driskel as the backup.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 11:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah for several reasons...the main one being they have 2 QB's that are similar in skills to McCarron that know their system.

Jim - IF the Bengals got offered a 1st Round pick for McCarron...right now - Would they trade him in your opinion?

I think if it was a First Round Pick in next years draft from a team like the Browns, then yes. But if it's from a team like Denver who will be ending up picking between 18 and 22, I don't think they will.

Granted, a first round pick is a first round pick and you will be getting a very good player but Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis want a top 5 to 10 pick if they are to give up a backup of McCarrons caliber especially with the O Line the Bengals are running with this year. Dalton will be injured and McCarron is going to have to come in to finish off a couple of games at least this year.

And if the Bengals happen to be in a spot where they can make the playoffs, Dalton gets hurt, they better have a decent backup that knows the system as well as Dalton.

EDIT: What the crap did I just type an hour ago? I'm thinking Second and could sware I typed Second. I know I typed Second.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 11:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah for several reasons...the main one being they have 2 QB's that are similar in skills to McCarron that know their system.

I would hope they'd jump on that deal if they got offered a first rounder for him. The team must think something of Driskel since they carried him on the 53 all last season to make sure he stuck around. 

Not Jim of course, but just my thoughts on it all.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
There is the constant argument that no one can hurl negativity at McCarron because there is not enough to judge him on. There's enough to want him to start, to say he's better than Dalton, to compare him to all-time greats and HOF QBs, but not enough to "unfairly" judge him or to contradict any of the previously mentioned positive thoughts. To question McCarron means you're a hater, stupid, or swinging from Dalton's ballsack. That's the general consensus I've learned from this board.

However, McCarron has a ton more playing time and tape than Driskel. Since Driskel is not McCarron though we can all automatically say he sucks and bash him and complain about how he doesn't deserve to share the same air as McCarron. Got it.
Reply/Quote
No need to start another McCarron thread given that it's clearly not happening, so this will probably get buried. Maybe this is the same report that was debunked earlier in the offseason.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/10/report-bengals-turned-down-second-rounder-for-aj-mccarron/

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 08:26 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: There is the constant argument that no one can hurl negativity at McCarron because there is not enough to judge him on. There's enough to want him to start, to say he's better than Dalton, to compare him to all-time greats and HOF QBs, but not enough to "unfairly" judge him or to contradict any of the previously mentioned positive thoughts. To question McCarron means you're a hater, stupid, or swinging from Dalton's ballsack. That's the general consensus I've learned from this board.

However, McCarron has a ton more playing time and tape than Driskel. Since Driskel is not McCarron though we can all automatically say he sucks and bash him and complain about how he doesn't deserve to share the same air as McCarron. Got it.

That's the thing with McCarron...he hasn't played enough to know if he's good or bad. From what I saw, he was more a game manager than a guy who's going to come out and through for 300+ yards on a regular basis.

I think for teams to trade a lot of assets for a guy that they want that big-armed guy who can win games by themselves. They want a guy that can be a Top 10-12 QB in the NFL.

I just don't see McCarron as that guy.

I see him as a guy that if he starts could end up somewhere in the 20-25th range for QB's.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 11:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: While I don't condone what Kaepernick did by any means...was what he did worse than Roethlisberger and the alleged rape and some of the other things that happened in the NFL? Granted Roethlisberger was never charged.

Or how about a guy like Mixon punching a girl? Was that worse than what Kaepernick did? Mixon gets a 2nd change.

Or how about guys who get suspended for PED's or drugs? They get 2nd chances.

Or Adam Jones? He's gotten about 5 2nd chances.

I mean people want freedom of speech in the US until someone does something they don't like.

Do I agree with Kaepernick? No. Do I think he's a huge idiot? Yes. Do I think what he did deserves banishment from the NFL. No. There are guys playing who have done far worse.
1 Roethlisberger plays for the steelers, whom the NFL & espn regularly sucks their balls, so of course nothing happens there.
2 Mixon was a KID, who made a mistake, and has done nothing since then.
3 PEDS or drugs?  They should get a second chance, hopefully they learn.
4 Adam Jones? I have no excuse, except he plays for the Bengals, and he's pretty good.
5 kap is grown, made a bad choice, continued to stand by it just to stir controversy, the ultimate statement of "I'm more important than my teammates and the organization that allows me to make a living."  Well this country that allows him to be a dumbass, also has the right to not want to be associated with said dumbass.  Also allows me the right to not care or have to hear his whining.
6 You dont like America, or how we do things, no one has ever said you cant leave.
[Image: forumpic2.jpg]
When I die, I will get to shake Mr. Paul Browns hand and hear him say "Damn, you never stopped believing, did you?"
Reply/Quote