Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gary Johnson Stuns Morning Joe Panel With a Blank Stare: ‘What Is Aleppo?’
http://www.mediaite.com/online/gary-johnson-stuns-morning-joe-panel-with-a-blank-stare-what-is-aleppo/

Quote:Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson was caught by surprise on Thursday morning during a visit with MSNBC on what was — in no way — intended to be a “gotcha” question.

Morning Joe‘s Mike Barnicle asked the former New Mexico Governor, “What would you do if you were elected about Aleppo?” referencing the Syrian city that has been the hotbed of airstrikes and the setting for the refugee crisis.

[ooyla aid =NsN21yNTE62rxWJqywEes_adjpI4Dszc]

“And what is Aleppo?” he asked with a blank stare to the complete silence of the Morning Joe panelists.

“You’re kidding me,” Barnicle offered simply.

“No!” Johnson replied almost cheerily. Barnicle clarified further on the Syrian city he was referencing, and after a beat —

“OK, got it, got it!” he said like a school student who suddenly remembered the answer like he had been up all night studying for a test. “I do think that it’s a mess. I think the only way we deal with Syria is to join hands with Russia to diplomatically bring that to an end,” he eventually replied.

Watch above via Morning Joe.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Is this any worse than not knowing a "C" means "classified"? I'm ok with a candidate not being familiar with every single foreign policy issue. Good leaders have good advisors and know when to listen to them. I'm more concerned with their overall strategy and their knowledge of how government work and the Constitution.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-08-2016, 09:52 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Is this any worse than not knowing a "C" means "classified"? I'm ok with a candidate not being familiar with every single foreign policy issue. Good leaders have good advisors and know when to listen to them. I'm more concerned with their overall strategy and their knowledge of how government work and the Constitution.

I don't know.

Does "C" mean Classified of Confidential?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/05/politics/trump-tweets-classified-confidential-clinton-fbi-report/

Quote:Donald Trump criticized Hillary Clinton on Sunday for not knowing what the "©" label meant when it was used on her State Department emails.

But the Republican presidential nominee apparently doesn't know what it means either.

"Lyin' Hillary Clinton told the FBI that she did not know the 'C' marking on documents stood for classified. How can this be happening?" Trump wrote on Twitter.
Quote:[/url]

Follow
[Image: DJT_Headshot_V2_normal.jpg]Donald J. Trump 

@realDonaldTrump
Lyin' Hillary Clinton told the FBI that she did not know the "C" markings on documents stood for CLASSIFIED. How can this be happening?
7:49 PM - 4 Sep 2016

John Noonan, a national security adviser to Jeb Bush and Mitt Romney, observed that Trump had incorrectly ascribed "classified" to the "C" markings -- they actually denote a lower security status, "confidential."
Noonan wrote, "© stands for CONFIDENTIAL. Confidential, Secret, Top Secret are levels of classification. DoD Directive 5200.01."

Quote:

Follow
[Image: glWtXbxo_normal.jpg]John Noonan @noonanjo
© stands for CONFIDENTIAL. Confidential, Secret, Top Secret are levels of classification. DoD Directive 5200.01.https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/772582467601588224 …
8:23 PM - 4 Sep 2016

•  

•  1,1431,143 Retweets

• [url=https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=772590879072813056] 1,7491,749 likes

The FBI had released a report Friday that detailed its investigation of Clinton's email use at the State Department along with notes from the bureau's interview with Clinton. According to that report, Clinton told the FBI she was unaware that the "c" markings in certain emails denoted the presence of confidential information and that she couldn't recall "any briefing or training" related to handling classified information or federal records -- two talking points that have been central to the political debate over the controversy.

The Republican presidential candidate also taunted Clinton Sunday about polling and highlighted other significant revelations from the FBI's report, which showed that a former Bill Clinton aide said he could recall at least two times he destroyed old State Department devices with a hammer. The report also revealed that another IT aide had used a software tool called "BleachBit" to conduct a mass deletion of emails on Clinton's server.
(09-08-2016, 10:00 AM)GMDino Wrote: I don't know.

Does "C" mean Classified of Confidential?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/05/politics/trump-tweets-classified-confidential-clinton-fbi-report/

So she doesn't know it means "Confidential" and Trump thinks it means "classified"?

Again, is not knowing one city in Syria any worse? Is it even a big deal? Please do not just reply with how Trump is just as bad. We know he's completely unqualified to be President.

(09-08-2016, 10:12 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So she doesn't know it means "Confidential" and Trump thinks it means "classified"?

Again, is not knowing one city in Syria any worse? Is it even a big deal? Please do not just reply with how Trump is just as bad. We know he's completely unqualified to be President.

I think it is bad when you are trying to come off as the serious candidate that people should look to over the other two clowns.

*I* didn't know what it was...but I'm not running for president.

Maybe he didn't know they would be talking about Syria.  Maybe he just doesn't understand.  Either way it comes off as bad.

I posted the link because I've seem a lot of folks say Clinton didn't know "C" stood for "classified"....and it didn't.  Just so happened the first or second link was about Trump this time.

And before I could his send on this Johnson tried to clarify and made it maybe worse by saying it WAS a big deal and he needs to get smarter.

http://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe
I want Johnson to fix the U.S..
I'm not voting for him in regards of his knowledge of geography.

Regardless, good on him for stepping up and making no excuses.
Own up and pledge self-improvement.
That's something I wouldn't mind seeing from other politicians.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
No doubt this is a bad look especially coming from a 3rd party candidate who already has trouble gaining validity in our current politics. It's actually pretty laughable that this guy screwed up what little air-time he has. If I'm a third party candidate I'd be more determined to come across as knowledgeable because in a sense he's still introducing himself to the the public.

On the other hand though In a world where you can speak at a 3rd grade level and just say you're more intelligent then people who are clearly more qualified and it sticks with the public I'd imagine you can get away with pretty much anything. It's all about how loud and proud you can wave your big stick around.
This may actually HELP Johnson.
The more they blow the story up to make fun of him, the more his name actually gets out.
There will be a ton of people saying "Who is this guy ? I think I'll look him up.".
He may have stumbled into the Trump ideology of "no such thing as bad press".

(09-08-2016, 11:01 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I want Johnson to fix the U.S..
I'm not voting for him in regards of his knowledge of geography.

Regardless, good on him for stepping up and making no excuses.
Own up and pledge self-improvement.
That's something I wouldn't mind seeing from other politicians.

Like when Clinton said it was a mistake to vote for the Iraq war?  Or to use the private email server?
(09-08-2016, 11:29 AM)GMDino Wrote: Like when Clinton said it was a mistake to vote for the Iraq war?  Or to use the private email server?

Yeah those are equal.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-08-2016, 11:42 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah those are equal.

Are those not admitting mistakes?

Admittedly the war vote was awful...but so many on the right still defend it.
You know what I wish (and I bet Johnson wishes)?

That NO ONE on the US would care about what Allepo was.
(09-08-2016, 11:29 AM)GMDino Wrote: Like when Clinton said it was a mistake to vote for the Iraq war?  Or to use the private email server?
I don't blame her a bit for the Iraq war vote.
She had the same information to go on, as everyone else.

I would've been good with the server deal, if she would've handed it over immediately.

I'll confess I didn't know what Aleppo is, and I'd bet 99% of Americans don't, either.

I'm guessing Gary Johnson is not getting the daily intelligence briefings that Hillary and Trump are getting?
--------------------------------------------------------

(09-08-2016, 01:28 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I'll confess I didn't know what Aleppo is, and I'd bet 99% of Americans don't, either.

I'm guessing Gary Johnson is not getting the daily intelligence briefings that Hillary and Trump are getting?

I consider all of us who post here to be pretty well informed, just also really opinionated, with politics and current events. I too admit I had no idea what Aleppo is. 

I'm no fan of Gary Johnson, but there is nothing wrong with this IMO and he should drive over to the show and punch "you've got to be kidding me" dude right in the mouth.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-08-2016, 12:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You know what I wish (and I bet Johnson wishes)?

That NO ONE on the US would care about what Allepo was.

He seemed quite concerned about it once explained to him. I doubt he wishes Americans to be ignorant of the situation.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

I think I konw more than everyone, and I confused "Aleppo" with "Restrepo".

Maybe they need to make a film about Aleppo.
(09-08-2016, 01:28 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I'll confess I didn't know what Aleppo is, and I'd bet 99% of Americans don't, either.

(09-08-2016, 01:36 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I consider all of us who post here to be pretty well informed, just also really opinionated, with politics and current events. I too admit I had no idea what Aleppo is. 

I'm in the same boat, and no, Johnson doesn't get the briefings. Historically only the two major party candidates have gotten them, and even then they aren't mandatory.

If I were Johnson, and a bit more quick witted, I might come out with a "right, sorry about that, I don't get the daily intelligence briefings two of my opponents get so I might not be quite as up to date on things." Makes you look a little better and throws the inequality of the system into the mix.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I know what Aleppo itself is, but not about what's going on.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall