Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas Prices
Why are they under $2/gallon?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-04-2018, 12:29 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Why are they under $2/gallon?

Reduced sanctions on iran and a better North American network are resulting in more barrels stockpiled. 

There's an opec meeting coming up and prices are expected to rise after. But cheaper gas for awhile .
(12-04-2018, 02:00 AM)Benton Wrote: Reduced sanctions on iran and a better North American network are resulting in more barrels stockpiled. 

There's an opec meeting coming up and prices are expected to rise after. But cheaper gas for awhile .

Welp. fill'er up now.

We need to work on plan B. Maybe Canada and (dare I say it) Russia.

(12-04-2018, 02:29 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Welp. fill'er up now.

We need to work on plan B. Maybe Canada and (dare I say it) Russia.

Canada is already Plan A.

The US imports more oil from Canada than all of OPEC (14 nations including Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Venzuela) combined, by a healthy margin. Crude Oil imports in thousand barrels...

OPEC in 2017: 1,137,736
Canada in 2017: 1,257,907

It's kind of why I laugh at people still connecting Saudi Arabia to US oil when that reporter was killed. The US still gets oil from them, but it's nothing compared to Canada and what the US produces themselves.

The US actually exports more crude oil than it imports from Saudi Arabia. Still in thousand barrels...

US Exports in 2017: 422,518
Saudi Arabia Imports in 2017: 346,567

(Stats from the US Energy Information Administration. http://www.eia.gov)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
We don't get under $2.00 in PA...our last GOP governor passed a series of tax increases on his way out the door 4 years ago that added to our already incredibly high gas taxes.

But I had a FB memory pop up that last year around Thanksgiving they were at $2.19.  Gas is $2.69 at the same station this week.

They seem "low" because we remember paying over $4.00 on more than one occasion.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I think I paid $2.55 this week
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

2.80ish in CT
See. If you just turn a blind eye to a horrific murder ordered by a Saudi Prince, good things happen!! ThumbsUp
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Just for reference:

Gas taxes by state.  

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2018/01/26/states-with-the-highest-and-lowest-gas-taxes-6/2/

That's an older article from the beginning of the year.
Our gas hovers around $4, my car requires premium, it's around $3.70 for 87 right now.  Not only are our state taxes high, but the county and city like to get their pound of flesh as well.  Gas around $2 is a pipe dream for us.  As an aside, there was a ballot measure last election to repeal a state imposed increase on gas taxes and it was defeated.  I guess people like paying more taxes in CA.
(12-04-2018, 01:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Our gas hovers around $4, my car requires premium, it's around $3.70 for 87 right now.  Not only are our state taxes high, but the county and city like to get their pound of flesh as well.  Gas around $2 is a pipe dream for us.  As an aside, there was a ballot measure last election to repeal a state imposed increase on gas taxes and it was defeated.  I guess people like paying more taxes in CA.

Most people don't think about those taxes...they just complain about the big ones like property and school.

The government gets us with all this little taxes and fees all the time.  Death by a thousand cuts.

And I'm not anti tax...just wish they'd use the funds they have more efficiently.
(12-04-2018, 01:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: Most people don't think about those taxes...they just complain about the big ones like property and school.

The government gets us with all this little taxes and fees all the time.  Death by a thousand cuts.

And I'm not anti tax...just wish they'd use the funds they have more efficiently.

I'm aware that, for me, complaining about taxes can come of as hypocritical, as they pay my salary.  That being said, it is as you say, I don't mind the taxes if they get spent on worthwhile projects, programs, etc.  Ostensibly the gas tax I referred to above was supposed to go solely to road repair/improvements.  No one is seeing anything resembling an increase in this kind of work.  In any event, CA taxes you to death in pretty much every conceivable fashion. 
(12-04-2018, 01:33 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm aware that, for me, complaining about taxes can come of as hypocritical, as they pay my salary.  That being said, it is as you say, I don't mind the taxes if they get spent on worthwhile projects, programs, etc.  Ostensibly the gas tax I referred to above was supposed to go solely to road repair/improvements.  No one is seeing anything resembling an increase in this kind of work.  In any event, CA taxes you to death in pretty much every conceivable fashion. 

PA is much the same.  Top three (l believe the last time I looked) in spending on roads already and looking for more funds.

But we've had a GOP controlled legislature for a long time and they refuse to "raise taxes" so they hide them in fees and all those little taxes we ignore because we see them almost every day.
(12-04-2018, 01:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Our gas hovers around $4, my car requires premium, it's around $3.70 for 87 right now.  Not only are our state taxes high, but the county and city like to get their pound of flesh as well.  Gas around $2 is a pipe dream for us.  As an aside, there was a ballot measure last election to repeal a state imposed increase on gas taxes and it was defeated.  I guess people like paying more taxes in CA.

Well you do have the beach.

(12-04-2018, 01:33 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm aware that, for me, complaining about taxes can come of as hypocritical, as they pay my salary.  That being said, it is as you say, I don't mind the taxes if they get spent on worthwhile projects, programs, etc.  Ostensibly the gas tax I referred to above was supposed to go solely to road repair/improvements.  No one is seeing anything resembling an increase in this kind of work.  In any event, CA taxes you to death in pretty much every conceivable fashion. 

Personally,I'd rather see the gas tax dropped and use toll roads for the bulk of project funding. It's absurd when they spend a few million paving streetsthatdont need it so they don't lose the recurring amount,but then let Bridges fall apart because there's no cash. Let the users pay for the project.
$2.70 in North Dakota. I like high gas prices though... I work in the oil field, so the higher the price of gas the higher my paycheck is
(12-04-2018, 05:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well you do have the beach.

And mountains, deserts and forests all within a few hours drive at most.  No, doubt there are definite advantages to living here.
So I drove a mile north and it was 1.95. Then drove another couple miles north and it was 2.45. Then drove another couple of miles north and it was back down to 1.95./

[Image: Looking-down-your-nose-300x280.jpg]

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(12-04-2018, 05:38 PM)Benton Wrote: Personally,I'd rather see the gas tax dropped and use toll roads for the bulk of project funding. It's absurd when they spend a few million paving streetsthatdont need it so they don't lose the recurring amount,but then let Bridges fall apart because there's no cash. Let the users pay for the project.

In NC, we pay a road use tax that is included in our annual vehicle registration taxes and fees.  I guess they like being able to know how much money they're going to have to budget with each year.  And, I have to say that by and large, North Carolina has pretty good highways. (I feel like I'm in the twilight zone, when I go home to Ohio)  When I first moved here, I despised the idea of it.  But, if you drive a lot, the savings at the pump more than pays for the road use tax.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23