Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geno Atkins Not on the block
With all the trade talk, figured it was worth nothing that there are several reports out now that the Bengals have turned down teams calling about Geno.

Good move? Bad move?

Thoughts?

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-geno-atkins-not-available-deadline

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If his shoulder is actually injured still as the rumors say he wouldn't pass a physical anyway so it's moot. Saying he isn't on the block is better than saying to other teams his shoulder is jacked and he is getting surgery eventually so he won't pass your physical.
Reply/Quote
This team has some young talent to build around but isn't making a run anytime soon.

I'd trade geno if he still has value and see what you can get bringing in more young talent.

It's hard saying that as geno had been such an important part of the team but holding on to him doesn't help the team.
Reply/Quote
Geno's tape this year is not going to get us anything anywhere near what he's worth. Hold onto him and let him heal.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 02:16 PM)motoarch Wrote: This team has some young talent to build around but isn't making a run anytime soon.

I'd trade geno if he still has value and see what you can get bringing in more young talent.

It's hard saying that as geno had been such an important part of the team but holding on to him doesn't help the team.

I don't know why people think a rebuild takes so long. Maybe 20 years ago but not today. You see it every year. The 49ers went from 2 wins to a super bowl. I'd the Bengals get some pieces on offense and defense line and sign WJIII, I could see them competing next year for a wild card honestly...
Reply/Quote
Good news.

Let's get he & Reader healthy, Tupou back, fire Lou, and see what we can see next year.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 02:29 PM)Tony Wrote: I don't know why people think a rebuild takes so long. Maybe 20 years ago but not today. You see it every year. The 49ers went from 2 wins to a super bowl. I'd the Bengals get some pieces on offense and defense line and sign WJIII, I could see them competing next year for a wild card honestly...

Pretty-funny 2 that I'm looking at... https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2018.htm
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Fans overestimate the ability to find good players in the draft.  They act like you can restock a complete roster with 3rd and 4th round picks.  The truth is that even the best teams are lucky to get more than 3 decent starters from any draft.

Look at the 2017 draft. These are the players that would be in their fourth season.  Due to compensation picks there were 43 players selected in the 3rd round.  Less than half of them (19) have started more than 8 games in any one season.

No team that re-builds gets rid of all their players and start over from scratch on a 4 year plan.  Instead they keep as many quality players as they can and rebuild around them.  outside of the first two rounds it is hard to find good starters. 

And cheap free agents often bust also.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 02:10 PM)Au165 Wrote: If his shoulder is actually injured still as the rumors say he wouldn't pass a physical anyway so it's moot. Saying he isn't on the block is better than saying to other teams his shoulder is jacked and he is getting surgery eventually so he won't pass your physical.

I believe this is high possibility. I won't be surprised when he has shoulder surgery this off-season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Never came close to seeing Geno & Reader as a tandem. Hopefully next year.
Reply/Quote
They can still trade him this offseason.

Doubt it, but maybe that is the plan.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 03:04 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Pretty-funny 2 that I'm looking at... https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2018.htm

I think he was thinking of them having the 2nd pick... But still 4 wins is a bad team. They were one overthrown ball away from being champs last year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I read somewhere that his injury was Labrum related. If he has surgery he is looking at 4-6 month or so recovery. Bengals could still trade him next year.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 02:29 PM)Tony Wrote: I don't know why people think a rebuild takes so long. Maybe 20 years ago but not today. You see it every year. The 49ers went from 2 wins to a super bowl. I'd the Bengals get some pieces on offense and defense line and sign WJIII, I could see them competing next year for a wild card honestly...

The main pieces we need to replace are on the sideline not the field lol I don't see us going anywhere with the current hc and staff hopefully we don't waste to many of burrows years before we upgrade
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 02:03 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: With all the trade talk, figured it was worth nothing that there are several reports out now that the Bengals have turned down teams calling about Geno.

Good move? Bad move?

Thoughts?

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-geno-atkins-not-available-deadline

If the team isn't going to use him effectively, then it's a bad move to keep him. It they intend to use him where his skills will benefit the team, then by all means keep him.

Sadly, however, I don't think the front office knows what they are going to do. The HC is throwing anyone who doesn't agree with him under the bus to divert attention from his NFL worst record and the fact that his credibility has sunk to zero, except maybe with the Brown family.

The one thing I see the front office doing right at the moment is that they've recognized that the coaching staff was full of shit when they said they're happy with the OL going into the season.

Soon Taylor will start turning against the pals he brought in with him, but hopefully the team sees through that and jettisons the whole lot in the off-season.

Reply/Quote

A.  We've been rebuilding for 30 years  Hilarious

B.  You're not wrong and that's why we should trade him.  He's not real productive right now and he's only getting older.  Get a pick for him and hope you got on it in a position of need to help the team next year instead of holding it to guy that's only going to cost more while producing even less.
Reply/Quote
Depends on what they're offering, but the Bengals should at least be listening.
Reply/Quote
This team isn't in a play off window let alone a Super Bowl window. By the time this team is poised to make a playoff run Geno will be near the end of his career. Trade him now for what you can get to surround Burrow with a young nucleus. It's not like Anarumo is using him to the utmost of his ability and the Bengals will miss the play offs without him this year or the next.
Reply/Quote
If Geno's Geno then I would rather have him than a late draft pick next of season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Next year will be year #3 of the "re-build".

There is ZERO excuse for not being a playoff contender after three years of re-building. If a head coach can't buid a contender in 3 years then he can't do it at all.

Since Atkins should still be a solid starter next year there is no reason to trade him away. All that would do would create another hole to fill and we have no one on the roster to fill that hole.

Trading away solid starters with a replacement hurts re-building. The only time to do that is in year one. If you are creating new holes for year three then you don't know how to re-build.
Reply/Quote