Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geno Atkins on trading block?
Many of us have been thinking that Geno Atkins may be cut, to free up additional cap space, heading into free agency. Could it be that the Bengals are actually looking to get something of value out of dealing the long time star Defensive Tackle?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bengals-gm-uncertain-of-geno-atkins-future-amid-reports-of-pro-bowler-landing-on-the-trade-block/

Quote:Earlier in the day, Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer listed Atkins as one of several big-name veterans being floated on the trade market, suggesting that he'll "probably be cut if he's not traded." By either releasing or dealing Atkins, the Bengals would save $9.5 million in 2021, not to mention the $16 million he's due in 2022.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Baghdad Geoff is reporting that the Bengals are trying to restructure his contract. In short he will probably be cut because I don't see him taking a Pay cut to stay here.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I can’t see anyone taking on that contract.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 12:05 AM)J24 Wrote: Baghdad Geoff is reporting that the Bengals are trying to restructure his contract. In short he will probably be cut because I don't see him taking a Pay cut to stay here.

Depends on the deal. He doesn't get paid much if he's cut, and likely won't get it somewhere else. If he goes down to $7-9 million per year, he'd come out ahead of getting cut.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 01:24 AM)Benton Wrote: Depends on the deal. He doesn't get paid much if he's cut, and likely won't get it somewhere else. If he goes down to $7-9 million per year, he'd come out ahead of getting cut.

I'm not sure it's all about the money though. The guy is 33 he probably wants to be  on a championship contender as well.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
If he takes a pay cut I'd like to see him back...I just wonder what he's got left in the tank coming off of significant shoulder surgery.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 02:29 AM)J24 Wrote: I'm not sure it's all about the money though. The guy is 33 he probably wants to be  on a championship contender as well.

For sure, the bulk of the players that were on his team are gone and he's not getting any younger. It wouldn't shock me at all if he wants to move on.
Reply/Quote
Out with the old, in with the new. Remnants of Marvin's guys is the key to the future.
We have the new engine in the car, time to replace all the parts with new parts.
If the driver (Zac) can't get his HOT ROD anywhere, then hopefully we'll have a new driver ASAP.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 11:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Many of us have been thinking that Geno Atkins may be cut, to free up additional cap space, heading into free agency.  Could it be that the Bengals are actually looking to get something of value out of dealing the long time star Defensive Tackle?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bengals-gm-uncertain-of-geno-atkins-future-amid-reports-of-pro-bowler-landing-on-the-trade-block/

This doesn't surprise me. Trying to get something for him is better than nothing, and he'll free up the cap space regardless.
I wonder at this point if they try to trade him prior to FA start and then release him at start of new league year if he's not traded by then.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'll miss Geno, it's sad seeing all these guys go....
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 11:02 AM)ochocincos Wrote: This doesn't surprise me. Trying to get something for him is better than nothing, and he'll free up the cap space regardless.
I wonder at this point if they try to trade him prior to FA start and then release him at start of new league year if he's not traded by then.

I'm guessing he will be a late cut if they can't trade him. My reading between the lines is, if they need his money they will go get his money but until they are sure they need it they will hold tight while trying to lower the number via restructure potentially. 
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 11:10 AM)Au165 Wrote: I'm guessing he will be a late cut if they can't trade him. My reading between the lines is, if they need his money they will go get his money but until they are sure they need it they will hold tight while trying to lower the number via restructure potentially. 

I can see that happening, but honestly I kind of hate the approach.
With all the holes/lackluster play at so many positions the past two years, there should be no determining whether the money is needed or not.
It 100% will be needed.
3 OL (4 if you add C)
1 DT
1-2 DEs
2+ CBs
2+ WRs
Arguably 1 TE (unless you have faith in Uzomah)
Arguably 1 LB (unless you have faith in two of Pratt, Wilson, ADG, and Bailey ascending to solid-or-better)
1 K
1 P

They only have 1 pick in each of the first three rounds of the draft, which are really the only rounds anyone can "expect" a quality starter to come from. If a quality starter comes from Rds 4-7, that's just icing, IMO.

So the need is there to use the money in FA. The problem will be do they think some of their guys are good enough or not. 
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 11:26 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I can see that happening, but honestly I kind of hate the approach.
With all the holes/lackluster play at so many positions the past two years, there should be no determining whether the money is needed or not.
It 100% will be needed.
3 OL (4 if you add C)
1 DT
1-2 DEs
2+ CBs
2+ WRs
Arguably 1 TE (unless you have faith in Uzomah)
Arguably 1 LB (unless you have faith in two of Pratt, Wilson, ADG, and Bailey ascending to solid-or-better)
1 K
1 P

They only have 1 pick in each of the first three rounds of the draft, which are really the only rounds anyone can "expect" a quality starter to come from. If a quality starter comes from Rds 4-7, that's just icing, IMO.

So the need is there to use the money in FA. The problem will be do they think some of their guys are good enough or not. 
  • I would be shocked if we change out 3 spots on the OL. I am guessing you will see two spots swapped out between draft and FA, [ptentially more in a trade down scenario though. 
  • DT only becomes a need if you cut Atkins so we will hold serve there for now
  • We probably can guess Lawson is back in some capacity, but beyond that you probably will need 1 DE and I think that is a day 2 pick
  • You will need 2 CB's I am guessing one will come from the draft and one from FA but in that veteran mid-tier
  • They need WR's but I am curious how this one shakes out as it could be a journeyman guy like Reynolds and then more of a returner.
  • Don't see TE as much as people here want them to
  • Tobin mentioned really liking their young linebackers so I don't see anything here
  • Kickers and Punters are usually a late day 3 UDFA move so I wouldn't expect anything here until potentially after the draft.
  • You actually need to add Safety here where I think we will get one in FA and one in the draft.
All that said, the money is only needed if you have someone lined up to give it to. I think the point remains, they don't need to proactively cut him only to get left at the alter if they can't find the right guys to give it to. Spending it for the sake of spending it isn't the way to do it either. Ideally, if you can get his cap number closer to 7 million he'd be worth keeping as he is still probably better than any replacement we'd get in FA.
Reply/Quote
I’ve mentally moved on from geno. With this off-season the way it’s shaping up to be in Fa I’d much rather cut geno and have that money for Sheldon Rankins Wink
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 11:40 AM)Au165 Wrote:
  • I would be shocked if we change out 3 spots on the OL. I am guessing you will see two spots swapped out between draft and FA, [ptentially more in a trade down scenario though. 
  • DT only becomes a need if you cut Atkins so we will hold serve there for now
  • We probably can guess Lawson is back in some capacity, but beyond that you probably will need 1 DE and I think that is a day 2 pick
  • You will need 2 CB's I am guessing one will come from the draft and one from FA but in that veteran mid-tier
  • They need WR's but I am curious how this one shakes out as it could be a journeyman guy like Reynolds and then more of a returner.
  • Don't see TE as much as people here want them to
  • Tobin mentioned really liking their young linebackers so I don't see anything here
  • Kickers and Punters are usually a late day 3 UDFA move so I wouldn't expect anything here until potentially after the draft.
  • You actually need to add Safety here where I think we will get one in FA and one in the draft.
All that said, the money is only needed if you have someone lined up to give it to. I think the point remains, they don't need to proactively cut him only to get left at the alter if they can't find the right guys to give it to. Spending it for the sake of spending it isn't the way to do it either. Ideally, if you can get his cap number closer to 7 million he'd be worth keeping as he is still probably better than any replacement we'd get in FA.

I should have clarified I guess.
If Lawson is kept, I think only 1 DE, and that can be a rotational guy who can be taken in Rds 2-4 of draft.
If WJ3 and Alexander are kept, no need for starting-caliber CBs.
If Spain is re-signed, I see only 2 OL spots needing upgraded. I'd like for Spain and XSF to compete for one spot. I wouldn't trust both of them to be starting Week 1.

I don't have confidence in Atkins at this point. He's 2 years removed from a good season and is almost 33 years old. 
Why not go after a younger guy like Solomon Thomas (only 25 years old), who had just about as many pressures as Atkins did the past 3 years (Thomas 54 vs Atkins 56) but played in 6 fewer games and should come less than half of the cost?

I'm perfectly fine with Reynolds to be brought in as WR3. I like him more than some do. But I think there are some people who don't believe Higgins nor Boyd will ever be a true top-end WR1 and want someone like Chase taken.

We all know I want Pitts if Bengals take a pass catcher in Rd 1.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 11:51 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I should have clarified I guess.
If Lawson is kept, I think only 1 DE, and that can be a rotational guy who can be taken in Rds 2-4 of draft.
If Spain is re-signed, I see only 2 OL spots needing upgraded. I'd like for Spain and XSF to compete for one spot. I wouldn't trust both of them to be starting Week 1.

I don't have confidence in Atkins at this point. He's 2 years removed from a good season and is almost 33 years old. 
Why not go after a younger guy like Solomon Thomas (only 25 years old), who had just about as many pressures as Atkins did the past 3 years (Thomas 54 vs Atkins 56) but played in 6 fewer games and should come less than half of the cost?

I like Solomon Thomas as I said in another thread but I am still not exactly sure how this whole FA period is going to shake out in terms of where the market gets set. I think some of these younger guys should see much bigger deals than we are expecting because teams will give them longer deals than usual and spread it out. I am okay with moving on, I just think the team won't be in a hurry. They have plenty of money for the first wave and I think they will wait to see how they stack up after that before completely cutting bait with guys. Now that said, if Geno won't move that number at all then I think they probably walk away but my guess is they are in discussions on lowering it pretty substantially. 
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 11:51 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I should have clarified I guess.

I'm perfectly fine with Reynolds to be brought in as WR3. I like him more than some do. But I think there are some people who don't believe Higgins nor Boyd will ever be a true top-end WR1 and want someone like Chase taken.

We all know I want Pitts if Bengals take a pass catcher in Rd 1.

I don't either, age and injuries have caught up with him and it's most likely at best he's a rotational player with fairly light snap counts. And there's no way we can pay him at that level when we have so many other needs.

If Sewell is gone and perhaps even if he isn't gone ? If Chase and Pitts are both there I'd be shocked if they took Pitts over Chase.
Reply/Quote
He should take a pay cut to go somewhere like tampa or the rams.

Have a chance to win a SB and be on a really strong line where he's not the guy getting the double team.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 10:18 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Out with the old, in with the new. Remnants of Marvin's guys is the key to the future.
We have the new engine in the car, time to replace all the parts with new parts.
If the driver (Zac) can't get his HOT ROD anywhere, then hopefully we'll have a new driver ASAP.

Agreed...its time to move on from the older, banged up and pricey players and infuse this team with younger, healthier and CHEAPER  talent.
Loved Geno , 3 to 5 yrs ago but who really sees him coming back at even half the player he once was? 
He would be better off on a team that has alot of talent around him and he comes in on 3rd downs only.  There are too many better options out there IMO.   
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 12:31 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't either, age and injuries have caught up with him and it's most likely at best he's a rotational player with fairly light snap counts. And there's no way we can pay him at that level when we have so many other needs.

If Sewell is gone and perhaps even if he isn't gone ? If Chase and Pitts are both there I'd be shocked if they took Pitts over Chase.

With MIA trading for Isaiah Wilson, it gives more indication they are leaning toward taking pass catcher at 3.
Chase is considered by most as the best WR in the draft, so it could be likely that Chase is taken at 3.
If NYJ doesn't take a QB or trade back, they likely take Sewell or pass catcher.
So if both Sewell and Chase are gone, who do you take? 
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote